Is your driving licence tax due?
2 2

27 posts in this topic

Just a reminder for people to check the expiry date on their photo driving licence.

There is no official reminder system even though it is illegal to drive if the card is out of date.

Plus the Govt need the money :~)

Thanks for that.

Just checked mine and it does run out in January 13 even though the real expiry date of my licence isn't until 2029!

According to the Directgov website the photo is only ever valid for 10 years. However it does mention that there is an official reminder letter a D798. It costs £24.50 to renew at the Post Office (plus the cost of your photo) or £20.00 to do it online (UK passport must have been issued within last 5 years).

What a ripoff!

I am lucky that i have never moved in the last 28 years.

My licence is still pink :~)

It's not illegal to drive if you card is out of date but you can get a fine of the DVLA also if u drive works vechiles you won't be insured

I had to replace my photo in January of this year as it marked 10 years of driving. I don't think £20 every 10 years is that much.

I had to replace my photo in January of this year as it marked 10 years of driving. I don't think £20 every 10 years is that much.

That makes the driving licence £170 if you pass at 17 and drive till 80

Which equates to 22 and a half pence a month.

Which equates to 22 and a half pence a month.

I understand the amounts are relatively small.

It is the principle of acceptance of these new taxes that annoy me.

Once a tax is introduced the only way is up. £20 now then £25,£30 How much next time you renew?

Blue badges went from £2 to £10! (500%). This was to cover the cost of production?(5 minutes with a pair of scissors and a laminator) The council staff were there anyway and did other things as well. Should a Mars bar be £6.20 if the shop has been quiet that day?

If you have to get a card every ten years they'd need to renwew 6 times to have a licence until 80. Seven lots of £20 is £140.

17 = £50 + £20 + £20 + £20 + £20 + £20 + £20 (77) = £170

I presume by that you're trying to tell me that it's £50 for the first photocard licence, not £20?

I presume by that you're trying to tell me that it's £50 for the first photocard licence, not £20?

Actually i am hoping that the first Provisional licence fee of £50 includes the photocard and the upgrade when you pass?

It's not illegal to drive if you card is out of date but you can get a fine of the DVLA also if u drive works vechiles you won't be insured

If it's not illegal then why wouldn't you be insured?

29 per cent know that it could make you liable for a £1,000 fine. However, almost a third (31 per cent) of drivers incorrectly said they thought it could invalidate your motor insurance and 27 per cent thought it could mean getting points on your licence.

Interestingly, 13 per cent of drivers thought it could result in your car being confiscated.

Read more: http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/cars/article-2081666/Driving-licence-trap-1-6m-drivers-risk-hefty-fine-renewing-photograph-20-cost.html#ixzz28vwW2PsS

Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

If you drive a vehicle for work, the company is responsible for checking you have a valid licence. If they find yours out of date they should not allow you to drive until you have renewed the photocard.

Edited by stonekeeper

29 per cent know that it could make you liable for a £1,000 fine. However, almost a third (31 per cent) of drivers incorrectly said they thought it could invalidate your motor insurance and 27 per cent thought it could mean getting points on your licence.

Interestingly, 13 per cent of drivers thought it could result in your car being confiscated.

If you drive a vehicle for work, the company is responsible for checking you have a valid licence. If they find yours out of date they should not allow you to drive until you have renewed the photocard.

Your licence isn't out of date, the photo might be. Your licence is valid until 70 years of age unless "There is no impact on your car insurance as long as the driver has not been disqualified or told not to drive by the DVLA (due to a medical reason for example)"... taken from your link above.

Yes you could end up with a fine but I've yet to see any record of this happening no matter how hard I search.

Yes you could end up with a fine but I've yet to see any record of this happening no matter how hard I search.

Like so many things the system is there to fine people but as you say as yet it may not being enforced. Are you willing to take the risk that one day - those who run the system say - right, we have publicisied the fact that you must get the photo updated, heres a list of those who havnt done it, thier car registrations and where they live - off you go.

Biggest rip-off which has been hidden away is car tax renewal when you sell and buy a car. Sell the car mid-month, the tax ends and you have to buy a full month again - or something. Anyone done that and knows what's happening??

1 hour ago, Kacc said:

Biggest rip-off which has been hidden away is car tax renewal when you sell and buy a car. Sell the car mid-month, the tax ends and you have to buy a full month again - or something. Anyone done that and knows what's happening??

It has been estimated that over 2.5 million drivers are unwittingly driving their motor vehicles without realising that their photo-card driving licences are out of date and have expired. Some are over 4 years out of date.

Edited by DR_PAUL

On Wednesday, October 10, 2012 at 21:48, Anthony1971 said:

If you have to get a card every ten years they'd need to renwew 6 times to have a licence until 80. Seven lots of £20 is £140.

Twenty quid is a bargain, bloke in my local charges £100 for a new driving licence!

1 person likes this

12 hours ago, ronky said:

Twenty quid is a bargain, bloke in my local charges £100 for a new driving licence!

Can he knock up a TV one?? Black and white will do at a push.

I still maintain that they should charge a larger fee once we get to 70 in order to pay for a proper assessment to see if you really are fit to drive.  The current self certifying system  - of course i can see  - just isnt good enough.  General competency to drive and reactions should also be tested.  Numbers of those over 70 on the roads are increasing and although statistically they cause no more accidents than others - i wonder if "they" know how many are attributable to poor driving by elderly people, or driving at 20 mile an hour along a national speed limit road? 

1 hour ago, Brian said:

I still maintain that they should charge a larger fee once we get to 70 in order to pay for a proper assessment to see if you really are fit to drive.  The current self certifying system  - of course i can see  - just isnt good enough.  General competency to drive and reactions should also be tested.  Numbers of those over 70 on the roads are increasing and although statistically they cause no more accidents than others - i wonder if "they" know how many are attributable to poor driving by elderly people, or driving at 20 mile an hour along a national speed limit road? 

OY, I reach 70 in May !! ( ;) )  I had to have a 'new' licence 3 months ago when we moved home. It was free then and I have no objection to paying a fee when I do finally get there. I certainly agree with some of your post. In my opinion the easiest, and possibly the cheapest/quickest way to assess older drivers would be to use a simulator. My main concern with getting older is without doubt the slowing down of reactions but this can be tested on a simulator (I have done this once not long ago and passed with flying colours :) ). As for being competent, well, I would suggest that, on the whole, drivers get better with age as they learn more as the miles are clocked up. (as you have stated, we cause no more accidents than other age groups) As for driving at 20mph, don't even get me started on those !! These are a menace to 'reasonable' road users and as I often remark (in a rather loud voice!) these types are the ones who cause accidents without realising it. In closing I would say that I am, and always have had a certain confidence in my own driving ability having a clean licence since the age of 19. It's my belief that 70 is no longer the 'old age' it used to be and I would sincerely hope that I will know when the time to hand in my licence and will do so voluntarily. 

1 person likes this