Tactics

68 posts in this topic

On 08/01/2017 at 11:20, shakerste said:

To be fair I think I have heard before that Etuhu started his career as a winger / striker.

That said the only time I would have him and Mackreth both playing wide would be if they were both on the same wing at the same time !!!

Etuhu was a winger when he had a brief spell on loan with us 10 years ago.

I think Flitcroft moved him into midfield at Barnsley.

6 hours ago, Fedora Dale said:

Etuhu was a winger when he had a brief spell on loan with us 10 years ago.

I think Flitcroft moved him into midfield at Barnsley.

That is clearly the moment everything started going wrong for us, bloody rubbish Flitcroft !

;) 

I believe the idea behind the 4-3-3/4-3-1-2 (delete as you see fit what it actually was) was to match Scunthorpe's shape that they played in the previous encounter between the two sides and obviously Brass thought they would line up in that way again. Dawson and Bishop used their combined experience to its fullest effect to dictate almost the entire first half and there is no shame in stating that Styles, Burgess and Brown came off second best in that particular battle. The first two will use it as a learning experience and Brown is unlikely to have had much match sharpness. I have seen it stated on here and elsewhere that Styles shouldn't have started the game because of Scunthorpe's physicality and whilst there is some merit to that argument on first glance, he is not going to learn to be able to cope with that sort of opposition unless he gains more experience of them. I don't think he should play every game for the first team just yet but it is to his credit that he has already been identified by other managers and scouts as an individual threat at such an early stage of his playing career.

1 person likes this

On ‎08‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 12:01, Alan B said:

after witnessing Lainton's performance yesterday,there's a place for you in goal Mike. But don't let Wilcox try to coach you.

Lainton could have easily been  MOM -  at least 4 top saves!

1 person likes this

3 hours ago, Spee said:

I believe the idea behind the 4-3-3/4-3-1-2 (delete as you see fit what it actually was) was to match Scunthorpe's shape that they played in the previous encounter between the two sides and obviously Brass thought they would line up in that way again. Dawson and Bishop used their combined experience to its fullest effect to dictate almost the entire first half and there is no shame in stating that Styles, Burgess and Brown came off second best in that particular battle. The first two will use it as a learning experience and Brown is unlikely to have had much match sharpness. I have seen it stated on here and elsewhere that Styles shouldn't have started the game because of Scunthorpe's physicality and whilst there is some merit to that argument on first glance, he is not going to learn to be able to cope with that sort of opposition unless he gains more experience of them. I don't think he should play every game for the first team just yet but it is to his credit that he has already been identified by other managers and scouts as an individual threat at such an early stage of his playing career.

Match them up ?   He did this after 30 mins not at the start.    Scunthorpe been 442 all season.   That isn't matching them up as 433  Spee.   This is combatting their system.  Doing something different against it.   It is infact the opposite.    Scunthorpe were as you say matched up on 32 mins.  

3 hours ago, Spee said:

Something I said in another thread. A bit like a boxer who goes 30 fights unbeaten against no hopers and then knocked out against his first decent opponent. Kids need the experience of those kind of games, it helps them learn.

Lainton tipped a good one over and a double save in second half.  No chance with any of goals.  A bit rooted for Dawson's.  One sliced kick from a back pass.   Looks confident to me too.   

10 hours ago, Tubwash said:

Lainton could have easily been  MOM -  at least 4 top saves!

He did make 3-4 good saves, but he was  also culpable for 2 goals ...IMO

Not MOM credentials, again IMO

54 minutes ago, scales of justice said:

He did make 3-4 good saves, but he was  also culpable for 2 goals ...IMO

Not MOM credentials, again IMO

To be fair you have always had a downer on Lainton and I think it leads you to being over critical.

4 minutes ago, 1903 said:

To be fair you have always had a downer on Lainton and I think it leads you to being over critical.

He wasn't over critical this time he had to do better, MOM Kay again

10 minutes ago, 1903 said:

He played well at Fleetwood and Bradford, and I praised him on here. 

I don't see him being any more than a "stop gap" ,  however  I would have criticised any keeper for the 2 goals 

11 hours ago, scales of justice said:

He played well at Fleetwood and Bradford, and I praised him on here. 

I don't see him being any more than a "stop gap" ,  however  I would have criticised any keeper for the 2 goals 

I like Lainton and think he would be a good and reliable backup keeper, a bit like Lee Bracey and the chap who filled in for Garner in 04/05 (forgotten his name.) However I really think we should be pulling out the stops to get Pope back, he isn't even playing at Burnley. 

1 person likes this

8 hours ago, Barry P said:

I like Lainton and think he would be a good and reliable backup keeper, a bit like Lee Bracey and the chap who filled in for Garner in 04/05 (forgotten his name.) However I really think we should be pulling out the stops to get Pope back, he isn't even playing at Burnley. 

I think Nick Pope played for Burnley in the cup on Saturday.

However I am not sure as Jeff Stelling announced him on Soccer Saturday as Nick Page and in the BBC report they call him Nick Hope 

8 hours ago, Barry P said:

He played on Saturday!  They have a replay where he will play again I suspect, and if they win that  a match against Fleetwood.  I'm surprised you think we could afford his wages. If he goes out on loan I suspect it will be to a championship side once Burnley have no cup interest. He also played in their defeat to Accy in the league cup.

Edited by morex

7 minutes ago, morex said:

He played on Saturday!  They have a replay where he will play again I suspect, and if they win that  a match against Fleetwood.  I'm surprised you think we could afford his wages. If he goes out on loan I suspect it will be to a championship side once Burnley have no cup interest. He also played in their defeat to Accy in the league cup.

A few people commented on him being third choice, the fact he is a reserve keeper playing in the cup suggests he won't be getting in the first team any time soon. Also no championship side has come in for him yet this season. He is local to Bury if he is living in Burnley and knows the club and fans. Not saying it should happen, just think we should be trying to get him in. Who is to say they wouldnt't pay most of the wages as a loan to Bury would benefit both parties? Anyway as I say am satisfied with Lainton, just think with our position we could maybe do with a better, more experienced keeper. 

6 minutes ago, Barry P said:

A few people commented on him being third choice, the fact he is a reserve keeper playing in the cup suggests he won't be getting in the first team any time soon. Also no championship side has come in for him yet this season. He is local to Bury if he is living in Burnley and knows the club and fans. Not saying it should happen, just think we should be trying to get him in. Who is to say they wouldnt't pay most of the wages as a loan to Bury would benefit both parties? Anyway as I say am satisfied with Lainton, just think with our position we could maybe do with a better, more experienced keeper. 

Lower your expectations Pope is out of our price range even as a %. If they beat Sunderland that a 5th round tie nailed on,  in terms of his experience, development and motivation.  The trouble with someone as talented as Pope is that all his successors are judged against him as a yard stick which is unfair. The same thing happened after Tom Lees left.  If we could routinely afford players of this quality permanently then  Gigg Lane would not be empty most Saturdays.  

As an aside when did we last have a player on loan who had pretentions of actually playing for his parent club in the premier league?  Kasper is the last one I can think of  but it did take him a while. Whelan has had a fantastic career but think he went to the champ with Stoke first.  It used to happen quite regularly, but prem clubs only seem to loan to the champ or abroad in terms of those likely to play for the first team.

36 minutes ago, Barry P said:

I'm with you Barry. Yes he did play in the cup...but as far as i can tell he's not been a sub in a league game in normal circumstances:

http://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=63387

When Heaton was injured; Robinson (ex Blackburn lol) played in nets - so he's their number 2, Pope is number 3. I suspect Burnley are just giving him experience in the FA Cup. 

The answer may well be no from Burnley, but no harm in asking...we may be surprised. Burnley have millions in the Bank - his wage would be peanuts for them. Bottom line, is the worst that can happen - is they say no.

The only bit i dont agree with you on is being satisfied with Lainton...he's in a long list of recent keepers for us, who are simply not quite good enough imo. Not bad, but not good enough. 

Edited by R11 BFC
1 person likes this

54 minutes ago, R11 BFC said:

I'm with you Barry. Yes he did play in the cup...but as far as i can tell he's not been a sub in a league game in normal circumstances:

http://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=63387

When Heaton was injured; Robinson (ex Blackburn lol) played in nets - so he's their number 2, Pope is number 3. I suspect Burnley are just giving him experience in the FA Cup. 

The answer may well be no from Burnley, but no harm in asking...we may be surprised. Burnley have millions in the Bank - his wage would be peanuts for them. Bottom line, is the worst that can happen - is they say no.

The only bit i dont agree with you on is being satisfied with Lainton...he's in a long list of recent keepers for us, who are simply not quite good enough imo. Not bad, but not good enough. 

Sorry I should have said satisfied for now, as in for a stop gap. I'd have Bracey back though.