Rotherham 250k James Vaughan, lo

97 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, Anyone said:

A winger chipping in with that amount of goals as well as assisting is something special.Doubt even Mayor could match those stats.

Danny Mayor has gone missing for large parts of both league 1 seasons unfortunately, he needs to find that consistency again that he had in league 2, Morris is a class above and is way to good for this division for me.

Posted (edited)

4 minutes ago, shaker90 said:

Danny Mayor has gone missing for large parts of both league 1 seasons unfortunately, he needs to find that consistency again that he had in league 2, Morris is a class above and is way to good for this division for me.

Thats the level Danny needs to get too,otherwise he will play lower league football all his career.And lets be honest,time is running out.Should be reaching his personal peak soon.

Edited by Anyone

2 minutes ago, shaker90 said:

Couldn't believe we only had a two man wall for the third goal on Saturday, given what we'd seen at Gigg earlier in the season!!

11 minutes ago, Original Dave Nugent said:

Couldn't believe we only had a two man wall for the third goal on Saturday, given what we'd seen at Gigg earlier in the season!!

15 minutes ago, shaker90 said:

Maybe he has not gone missing?Maybe he is just destined to be a good L1 player but an outstanding L2 player.All players have a personal level where they excel,maybe Danny has now found his.

When i see some on here saying he is worth a million etc,its laughable.

Only one player currently at the club would i class as a future million pound player and thats Harker.

Edited by Anyone

6 minutes ago, shaker90 said:

4 minutes ago, Anyone said:

Thats the level Danny needs to get too,otherwise he will play lower league football all his career.And lets be honest,time is running out.Should be reaching his personal peak soon.

Leaving Danny Mayor aside for a moment. Morris is a funny one - Bradford released him for nowt last season (in fact, he hardly played for them - could have been injured of course) and prior to this season, only one half decent season with Fleetwood. It's a funny old game as they say...but that should take nothing away from his sensational form this season. Maybe most wingers are simply hot and cold?

2 people like this

They are and in Mayor's case, a massive over-reliance has been placed on him for almost his entire spell at Bury to date. It is only this season where the creative burden has been shared around a little more. It is hard for any player to perform well when either they are double or sometimes even triple marked and/or opposition managers are wise to the tactic of getting the ball to him on all occasions and can nullify the threat. He hasn't found the next level of consistency yet but make no mistake, he remains one of the best players Bury have had in my time of supporting the club and he still has three goals and six assists at just over the halfway point in the league campaign in what is to all intents and purposes, an under-performing, struggling team. 

7 people like this

10 minutes ago, Spee said:

They are and in Mayor's case, a massive over-reliance has been placed on him for almost his entire spell at Bury to date. It is only this season where the creative burden has been shared around a little more. It is hard for any player to perform well when either they are double or sometimes even triple marked and/or opposition managers are wise to the tactic of getting the ball to him on all occasions and can nullify the threat. He hasn't found the next level of consistency yet but make no mistake, he remains one of the best players Bury have had in my time of supporting the club and he still has three goals and six assists at just over the halfway point in the league campaign in what is to all intents and purposes, an under-performing, struggling team. 

Slightly disingenuous there, Spee.  Yes, an under-performing, struggling team, but not one that has found goals difficult to come by. 

Agree with your other points.

Edited by surrey__exile

7 minutes ago, Spee said:

You forgot to add, he floats like a butterfly.

1 person likes this

2 minutes ago, surrey__exile said:

Slightly disingenuous there, Spee.  Yes, an under-performing, struggling team, but not one that has found goals difficult to come by. 

Never said they have found goals hard to come by, just pointing out that this season, the team are doing worse in the league but he has almost matched his goals and assists output from 2015/2016. Whilst others have struggled, he has kept his end product.

1 hour ago, Spee said:

Never said they have found goals hard to come by, just pointing out that this season, the team are doing worse in the league but he has almost matched his goals and assists output from 2015/2016. Whilst others have struggled, he has kept his end product.

My point is that it's not particularly appropriate to set Mayor's output in the context of the overall team performance which I think we're all agreed is largely due to defensive frailties rather than an ineffective attack.    Put another way, his number of assists & goals would be more impressive if the number of goals we'd scored was as poor as the number conceded.

1 hour ago, Spee said:

His tangable end product yes. This could be offset by IMO his unwillingness to track back and help Greg at the intensity he attacks with, thus leaving his defenders over exposed which in turn results in them taking the brunt of the fans frustration, meanwhile he weasels back to the half way line looking for his next opportunity of personal glory. Having said that he's one of the 1st on the team sheet for me..

Edited by MrBistow

Did another 3km every game over to the touchline to get a drink of his water bottle and some tactics off DF.   Flitcroft never did this to anyone else.  Of course he was nearest for 45 mins every game but he didn't do this with Jonah on the overlap or Hussey or Riley.  He would then have to detour back into his position after Flitcroft had coached him and made him a better person. 

Danny Mayor should score 10 goals a season minimum, he needs to have confidence to take free kicks, corners etc, he's capable but needs to push himself more,

1 person likes this

16 hours ago, russ hamer said:

Danny Mayor should score 10 goals a season minimum, he needs to have confidence to take free kicks, corners etc, he's capable but needs to push himself more,

Hmm. I think you'd be hard pressed, Josh Morris aside, to find any left midfielders who will score 10 goals per season minimum at any level and always play in that role. Morris also takes penalties and free kicks for Scunthorpe, which, whilst taking absolutely nothing away from his ability and performances this term, do help to inflate that number. Zach Clough has played in a number of positions for Bolton this season and has sometimes found himself at left midfield; he is the only other player on the first page of the League One Goalscorers list to have played a significant number of games in a wide midfield role. His numbers are... unsuprisingly inflated by penalties, too.

Without penalty or dead ball taking duties, it's difficult to see how Mayor can score that number of goals at Bury at left midfield. One can only assume he either doesn't want to do it, isn't particularly good at it or is good at them but there are simply more confident or effective players at the club. There have been occasions when he has started more centrally but I think despite what I have already said in this thread, he is easier to neutralise from an opposition point of view if that is where he first picks up the ball. He's not especially strong from a physical point of view or skillful but does have quick feet and more importantly, knows where he wants to end up with the ball. He is rarely to be found in the opposition penalty area without the ball and his aerial ability isn't anything to write home about. Most of his goals in a Bury shirt have been scored from outside the box by cutting in from the left as we all know. He would be better off trying to make late runs into the box between the full back and centre back like Ismail sometimes does. Whether by instruction or mentality, he isn't the best at either tackling or tracking back, so rather than ask him to do something he's not particularly adept at, I would instead like to see positioned further up the pitch than he has been so far as part of either a two or three man attacking midfield behind the one/two striker(s), depending on the opposition and the context of a match.

As an aside, he did get nine goals in all competitions in 2014/2015 but he played nearly every match in a relatively settled side by recent Bury standards at a lower level.

2 hours ago, Spee said:

Hmm. I think you'd be hard pressed, Josh Morris aside, to find any left midfielders who will score 10 goals per season minimum at any level and always play in that role. Morris also takes penalties and free kicks for Scunthorpe, which, whilst taking absolutely nothing away from his ability and performances this term, do help to inflate that number. Zach Clough has played in a number of positions for Bolton this season and has sometimes found himself at left midfield; he is the only other player on the first page of the League One Goalscorers list to have played a significant number of games in a wide midfield role. His numbers are... unsuprisingly inflated by penalties, too.

Without penalty or dead ball taking duties, it's difficult to see how Mayor can score that number of goals at Bury at left midfield. One can only assume he either doesn't want to do it, isn't particularly good at it or is good at them but there are simply more confident or effective players at the club. There have been occasions when he has started more centrally but I think despite what I have already said in this thread, he is easier to neutralise from an opposition point of view if that is where he first picks up the ball. He's not especially strong from a physical point of view or skillful but does have quick feet and more importantly, knows where he wants to end up with the ball. He is rarely to be found in the opposition penalty area without the ball and his aerial ability isn't anything to write home about. Most of his goals in a Bury shirt have been scored from outside the box by cutting in from the left as we all know. He would be better off trying to make late runs into the box between the full back and centre back like Ismail sometimes does. Whether by instruction or mentality, he isn't the best at either tackling or tracking back, so rather than ask him to do something he's not particularly adept at, I would instead like to see positioned further up the pitch than he has been so far as part of either a two or three man attacking midfield behind the one/two striker(s), depending on the opposition and the context of a match.

As an aside, he did get nine goals in all competitions in 2014/2015 but he played nearly every match in a relatively settled side by recent Bury standards at a lower level.

Agree with everything there but I think people reference the number of times he doesn't take the option to shoot which seems better than what he normally does which is to check back or give the ball to someone in a worse position. 

That may be something to do with confidence rather than skill.

On 09/01/2017 at 20:02, Peter valentine card said:

No one doubts this.  But he has hardly played well and is the leading player in a team not won for 20 games.  Hope is goals continue and his performances improve.   Big possibilities for both I think. 

In my honest view, he could be 1/10 every week but with a strike rate of better than 1 in 2 with half our playmakers out long term (Ismail, Jones) and sans Mayor of late this is a quite remarkable return. Reminiscent of Leon last year oddly enough, who similarly had a great return despite players around him missing for long periods.

16 minutes ago, exiile said:

Agree with everything there but I think people reference the number of times he doesn't take the option to shoot which seems better than what he normally does which is to check back or give the ball to someone in a worse position. 

...and why he is a L1 player.

Edited by alanlondon

Mayor's a marvellous player on the eye and I'd have him 1st on the team sheet every week from an entertainment perspective, but he does underperform for long stretches, every season pretty much. All my favourite Bury players of the last 35 years have been wingers or creative midfielders (Lee, A Gray, Rigby, M Jones, C Jones, Patterson, etc) - and all notably drifted in and out of games, with the exception of Lee in the last 2/3 seasons where he was pretty much on it week in week out. Beating two players and whipping a cross in may look great but he creates remarkably few chances with crosses compared with someone like Jones, or indeed Hussey who provided loads more assists despite being umpeen percent less talented.

I'd also not want him to spend his energy tracking back, but prefer to see him hanging on the centre line waiting for a swift break or two. The onus then is on him to deliver.

To end on a positive, he also doesn't score bland goals, they're mainly worldies, which perhaps makes us perceive him as being far better than he actually is.

Edited by Dr P
1 person likes this

50 minutes ago, exiile said:

Yes, possibly. Again, I wonder if it's also partly instructions from management. It's really hard to say without being in the inner circle. I'm sure confidence is a factor at times but if it's any consolation to him, he's one of the most reliable long-range finishers I've seen at Bury or indeed anywhere outside the top two tiers in England. Perhaps he also has a desire to score the 'perfect goal' and if he doesn't think it's a dead cert, will look for other, sometimes worse, options.

On 09/01/2017 at 20:02, Peter valentine card said:

No one doubts this.  But he has hardly played well and is the leading player in a team not won for 20 games.  Hope is goals continue and his performances improve.   Big possibilities for both I think. 

IT WAS NEVER IN DOUBT AS FAR AS I AM CONCERNED!

1 person likes this

25 minutes ago, shakercoola said:

IT WAS NEVER IN DOUBT AS FAR AS I AM CONCERNED!

I'll second that !

Some are hiding behind the couch tonight scared this thread would come back to haunt !

3 people like this

4 minutes ago, MrBistow said:

I'll second that !

Some are hiding behind the couch tonight scared this thread would come back to haunt !

Nope, it's just that the Voice and Gary Barlow's new show are both on

1 person likes this