Engaging with former players

68 posts in this topic

I'd be grateful if this could be kept in here rather than moved to History. 

Simply, why are Bury so reluctant to engage with former players? 

This isn't a complaint about the current regime per se because it's been happening for some time now. I spoke to Phil Stant on the phone this morning for the next book and I asked if he'd ever been back. "Nah," he shrugged. "I don't get asked."

Why is that? My uncle gets asked back to Bristol City annually as they commemorate the 1986 Freight Rover Trophy win over Bolton, other clubs make a fuss of their players too - yet when I got Leighton James, Trevor Ross, Craig Madden, Martin Dobson, Frank Casper, John Bramhall, Gary Buckley, Chris Cutler and Wayne Entwistle to the ground last season, I had to fight tooth and nail to simply get them a cup of tea at half time. 

The recent appearance of Andy Woodward at the Sheffield United game serves as case in point. Here is a man who is at the centre of the biggest sports news story in years. Even the most ardent fan of the current regime must admit that their public perception from newspaper appearances hasn't been great, so it was a real chance to show "We at Bury care for our former players, we stand with them shoulder to shoulder through their hard times." In my opinion, Woodward should have been given the full treatment as we sought to generate a positive public perception. As it was, he was given a ticket for Legends with no-one to look after him and his lads who joined him. It was great to get him along, but surely so much more could have been made of his presence?

I do what I do because at Bury I sometimes feel there's little option but to look back at good times, simply because I personally never feel secure enough in thinking we'll have a future. I'd love it if the past could be properly acknowledged.

21 people like this

Posted (edited)

Out of interest, what sort of acknowledgement would you like to see other than a few (meaningless) words? Perhaps with Woodward, there are legal things that prevent a more... formal show of solidarity at the moment. Not an expert in the field by any means, just a bit of conjecture.

Edited by Spee
Superfluous comma

9 minutes ago, James said:

I'd be grateful if this could be kept in here rather than moved to History. 

Simply, why are Bury so reluctant to engage with former players? 

This isn't a complaint about the current regime per se because it's been happening for some time now. I spoke to Phil Stant on the phone this morning for the next book and I asked if he'd ever been back. "Nah," he shrugged. "I don't get asked."

Why is that? My uncle gets asked back to Bristol City annually as they commemorate the 1986 Freight Rover Trophy win over Bolton, other clubs make a fuss of their players too - yet when I got Leighton James, Trevor Ross, Craig Madden, Martin Dobson, Frank Casper, John Bramhall, Gary Buckley, Chris Cutler and Wayne Entwistle to the ground last season, I had to fight tooth and nail to simply get them a cup of tea at half time. 

The recent appearance of Andy Woodward at the Sheffield United game serves as case in point. Here is a man who is at the centre of the biggest sports news story in years. Even the most ardent fan of the current regime must admit that their public perception from newspaper appearances hasn't been great, so it was a real chance to show "We at Bury care for our former players, we stand with them shoulder to shoulder through their hard times." In my opinion, Woodward should have been given the full treatment as we sought to generate a positive public perception. As it was, he was given a ticket for Legends with no-one to look after him and his lads who joined him. It was great to get him along, but surely so much more could have been made of his presence?

I do what I do because at Bury I sometimes feel there's little option but to look back at good times, simply because I personally never feel secure enough in thinking we'll have a future. I'd love it if the past could be properly acknowledged.

Epic rant and one I wholeheartedly agree with. 

2 people like this

2 minutes ago, Spee said:

Out of interest, what sort of acknowledgement, would you like to see other than a few (meaningless) words? Perhaps with Woodward, there are legal things that prevent a more... formal show of solidarity at the moment. Not an expert in the field by any means, just a bit of conjecture.

As I said, I think that Andy being shown he is a valued guest rather than simply getting the pork pie and polystyrene cup of soup that comes with a ticket in the Bartercard Suite/Legends. For Stewart Day to acknowledge him and be seen to be acknowledging him. A short story on the website with a picture of him saying "We're with you, Andy."

As for the rest of the extensive network of former players, I'd rather have An Evening With Phil Stant in the social club/Pymgate Lounge than An Audience With Royston Vasey.

5 people like this

5 minutes ago, James said:

As I said, I think that Andy being shown he is a valued guest rather than simply getting the pork pie and polystyrene cup of soup that comes with a ticket in the Bartercard Suite/Legends. For Stewart Day to acknowledge him and be seen to be acknowledging him. A short story on the website with a picture of him saying "We're with you, Andy."

As for the rest of the extensive network of former players, I'd rather have An Evening With Phil Stant in the social club/Pymgate Lounge than An Audience With Royston Vasey.

You would, I would; doubtlessly, others on here would as well. But would more people want that than the alternative(s)? I guess that's the state of things at the moment. Or at least I hope it is in a way.

27 minutes ago, Barry P said:

I second that.

Do you think Day has ever heard of any of them or cares?  Seems a great thread this and I do think an ex legend could and should be involved at the club just as much as we try and push the community.  This could create a history lesson in itself and a culture within.   An ex player as guest at each game a dinner.  An old players association.  Seems normal.   Presumably coz we don't really cater or have a big lounge of sponsors handicaps us. 

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, James said:

Further to this comment, do you not find it weird or even irritating that last season we had Stephen Dawson, a former player who rejected a new contract from us, ran it down, gave up giving his all before leaving for free as HT guest? Yet as James says we have never as far as I can recall, had the likes of Stant, Pugh, Gary Kelly etc doing the HT draw.  Much better servants to BFC and men who contributed far more than Dawson ever did. 

Edited by Barry P

2 hours ago, Barry P said:

Agreed 👏

7 minutes ago, Barry P said:

Further to this comment, do you not find it weird or even irritating that last season we had Stephen Dawson, a former player who rejected a new contract from us, ran it down, gave up giving his all before leaving for free as HT guest? Yet as James says we have never as far as I can recall, had the likes of Stant, Pugh, Gary Kelly etc doing the HT draw.  Much better servants to BFC and men who contributed far more than Dawson ever did. 

To be fair Dawson probably invited himself ...

2 people like this

4 minutes ago, Barry P said:

I found Stephen Dawson doing the draw especially galling, because I'd arranged for a number of former players to be at that game at the second book signing:

Martin Dobson - former England international, former Bury manager who got the club promoted using just 15 players, was then scouting for Leicester City and could have provided David Flitcroft with information on Joe Dodoo.

Frank Casper - assistant to Dobson, widely regarded as one of the best players never to play for England. Former manager Chris's dad.

Craig Madden - Bury's record goalscorer of all time. A hero to many supporters in their late-30s and 40s and beyond (sorry to be brutal folks, but it's true).

John Bramhall - assistant chief executive of the PFA. Imagine the goodwill that could be fostered in ten minutes of the board networking with him.

Wayne Entwistle - home town boy made good who had the best season of his life in 1984/85 as he and Madden stormed to more than 40 goals between them.

It's simple, simple stuff and shows former players that they're valued - and that's not even considering how much they can help with various issues as outlined above.

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, James said:

I found Stephen Dawson doing the draw especially galling, because I'd arranged for a number of former players to be at that game at the second book signing:

Martin Dobson - former England international, former Bury manager who got the club promoted using just 15 players, was then scouting for Leicester City and could have provided David Flitcroft with information on Joe Dodoo.

Frank Casper - assistant to Dobson, widely regarded as one of the best players never to play for England. Former manager Chris's dad.

Craig Madden - Bury's record goalscorer of all time. A hero to many supporters in their late-30s and 40s and beyond (sorry to be brutal folks, but it's true).

John Bramhall - assistant chief executive of the PFA. Imagine the goodwill that could be fostered in ten minutes of the board networking with him.

Wayne Entwistle - home town boy made good who had the best season of his life in 1984/85 as he and Madden stormed to more than 40 goals between them.

It's simple, simple stuff and shows former players that they're valued - and that's not even considering how much they can help with various issues as outlined above.

His conduct on the pitch in the two games he has played against us since shows how little he thought of put club. To pick an odious cretin like him to come onto the pitch over those great servants listed us just complete and utter stupidity. I really wish your post was some kind of wind up. 

Edited by Barry P
3 people like this

An excellent (albeit dispiriting) post James, that illustrates all too clearly the contempt the current regime has for our football club.

1 person likes this

A while ago I was at Anfield for a corporate do. Each table - 8 people -  was allocated a former player from their veterans association with it being arranged on a rota. The game was quality, food delicious, wine went down well but best of all we were kept in stitches with tales of Bill Shankly etc. If something similar was done here then I am sure it would be a success.

It seems strange that the club do not want to know. Especially, as they role the carpet out for the family of Ted Bullen, which of course is quite correctly.

Maybe this is something FB could look into as I am sure it will generate money, publicity and interest.

47 minutes ago, morex said:

A while ago I was at Anfield for a corporate do. Each table - 8 people -  was allocated a former player from their veterans association with it being arranged on a rota. The game was quality, food delicious, wine went down well but best of all we were kept in stitches with tales of Bill Shankly etc. If something similar was done here then I am sure it would be a success.

It seems strange that the club do not want to know. Especially, as they role the carpet out for the family of Ted Bullen, which of course is quite correctly.

Maybe this is something FB could look into as I am sure it will generate money, publicity and interest.

A great idea. I would pay to sit on a table with any of my former heroes from the past! Has this been suggested?

1 person likes this

20 minutes ago, redvales ronny said:

Dawson what an odious irritating gobshite he is

...and to think we let him shag our wives!

6 people like this

3 minutes ago, R11 BFC said:

No longer one for your anthem thread .... ☹️

Posted (edited)

20 minutes ago, R11 BFC said:

... always thought he was fearless!!  O.o

Edited by StockportShakerPete

7 hours ago, James said:

My uncle gets asked back to Bristol City annually as they commemorate the 1986 Freight Rover Trophy win over Bolton

Is that Uncle Brian?

1 minute ago, Original Dave Nugent said:

Is that Uncle Brian?

Would that not be uncle Tiger!!

1 person likes this

8 minutes ago, Original Dave Nugent said:

Is that Uncle Brian?

Yep. This is him shortly before the invention of the disposable razor: 

brian.jpg

1 person likes this

7 minutes ago, James said:

Yep. This is him shortly before the invention of the disposable razor:

Thought it might be!

If it is suggested by FB or by a supporter it is pretty much guaranteed to be ignored. 

On the note of funny stories though my personal favourite is the one about the players begging Stan to start smoking again as he'd become intolerable when he quit the cigarettes. xD

Of course, it's 20 years this summer since the fateful days of Watford and Millwall etc. What an opportune time it would be to get the lads of that era back for a home game and make a fuss about them.

Obviously, this would work better if we've secured League 1 status for another year by then.

1 person likes this