Engaging with former players

68 posts in this topic

Unfortunately as you know James the history of Bury Football Club only started when Day and Co took over the club. All the players at the book signing were at  your personal invitation and the same applies when the likes of Brian and other ex players you know attend a game. The club don't know who they are. 

Stewie wants to create a new Bury and does not want his dream hampered by any memories of the past. Flicker was Day's standard bearer but if he attends Gigg in the next two years he will hardly be acknowledged. Like many businessmen they like to feel nothing of any consequence happened before their tenure. BC and AD will soon be replaced by BS and AS  on the Shaker's calendar.

43 minutes ago, D-L-T said:

Of course, it's 20 years this summer since the fateful days of Watford and Millwall etc. What an opportune time it would be to get the lads of that era back for a home game and make a fuss about them.

Obviously, this would work better if we've secured League 1 status for another year by then.

You'd like to think it'll be commemorated, but since May last year was the 20th anniversary of promotion from Division Three and it passed unnoticed, I'm not sure. 

You know what would be great?

A former player coming back at every home game, and then an interview on the pitch over the PA at half time.

What was your best memory of Bury?

Who was the best player you played with?

What do you do now?

Etc etc.

Although our PA system is crap so I doubt that would work.

50 minutes ago, gorildo said:

Unfortunately as you know James the history of Bury Football Club only started when Day and Co took over the club. All the players at the book signing were at  your personal invitation and the same applies when the likes of Brian and other ex players you know attend a game. The club don't know who they are. 

Rather like the media's quoting records from the time of the PL's inception to the exclusion of the old Division One.

Perhaps the most disappointing point for me in James' post though is the observations that things were no better during the time of Day's predecessors.

Edited by surrey__exile

I've never been in the legends so don't really know what pre match entertainment they provide, but have been in their equivalent at other clubs for a pre match meal. There's always been an ex pro circulating. When I went to City, I was lucky enough to meet Colin Bell and will always remember that day, as we discussed his career at Bury. There's so much to gain by reminiscing with ex players.

1 hour ago, D-L-T said:

Of course, it's 20 years this summer since the fateful days of Watford and Millwall etc. What an opportune time it would be to get the lads of that era back for a home game and make a fuss about them.

Obviously, this would work better if we've secured League 1 status for another year by then.

Someone should really put this to the club. Get as many players at Gigg for the HT draw, maybe a Q&A after in the social. It is guaranteed to pull in a few extra fans. 

By someone suggesting it I mean someone at FB or someone like that, someone of a bit of standing whom the club might pay attention to. 

1 hour ago, James said:

You'd like to think it'll be commemorated, but since May last year was the 20th anniversary of promotion from Division Three and it passed unnoticed, I'm not sure. 

They were probably too busy focusing on the unbelievable success of finishing 16th in league one against the odds to think about that minor achievement. Especially when you consider how much better the club is ran now in comparison. 

Tbf though, as great as that 1995/96 promotion was, the achievement doesn't compare to 96/97 IMO. I think this anniversary is a bit more worth shouting about. 

Edited by Barry P

I'm not sure that inviting players back for a sit down meal would necessarily work, I think many are quite shy and whilst they could do a Q&A interview or have individual chats in a bar area I think hosting a table would be quite difficult. 

Players like Phil Stant are obvious choices though, naturally outgoing, been around the block a bit and might also bring in female fans from other clubs like Stockport. 

James, totally agree with you on everything said on here, theses veterans of the club are who have given us the proud history we have, they should not be ignored but be encouraged to play some part in the clubs future.

I've spoken to you in the past about my all time hero Sir Greg Farrell, how was he treated by the club when he came back on the few occasions when he was invited, taking into consideration that he is further back in the history of our club, and unfortunately slightly less remembered?

27 minutes ago, Vinny said:

James, totally agree with you on everything said on here, theses veterans of the club are who have given us the proud history we have, they should not be ignored but be encouraged to play some part in the clubs future.

I've spoken to you in the past about my all time hero Sir Greg Farrell, how was he treated by the club when he came back on the few occasions when he was invited, taking into consideration that he is further back in the history of our club, and unfortunately slightly less remembered?

There's a part for so many former players to play. We as fans have a part to play as well, to give these lads a good reception when they come back.

Greg is a hero to so many. As long as fans like you and my dad are still going to Gigg, I think there'll always be a place for him and many more in the matchday experience.

6 hours ago, Barry P said:

Someone should really put this to the club. Get as many players at Gigg for the HT draw, maybe a Q&A after in the social. It is guaranteed to pull in a few extra fans. 

By someone suggesting it I mean someone at FB or someone like that, someone of a bit of standing whom the club might pay attention to. 

HMRC?! ;o)

4 people like this

I have been to QPR a couple of times - once with a mate who had a box. I went mainly because one of my heroes Stan Bowles was entertaining guests - He turned up pissed about 5pm,  talked a load of drivel and complained about his horse that had lost and then disappeared to a poker game!!!! Quite a character!

1 person likes this

43 minutes ago, bullockballamos said:

I have been to QPR a couple of times - once with a mate who had a box. I went mainly because one of my heroes Stan Bowles was entertaining guests - He turned up pissed about 5pm,  talked a load of drivel and complained about his horse that had lost and then disappeared to a poker game!!!! Quite a character!

Saw Echo and the Bunnymen at Leeds fest just over a decade ago. Ian McCulloch turned up late, pissed and said nothing to us. Luckily the singing was pretty good and that of course is all that matters. 

Good thread this, Ive enjoyed all contributions. So come on Bury Fc/ Forever Bury, lets get it on. either a dinner or half time duties.

1 person likes this

7 hours ago, ronky said:

I'm not sure that inviting players back for a sit down meal would necessarily work, I think many are quite shy and whilst they could do a Q&A interview or have individual chats in a bar area I think hosting a table would be quite difficult. 

Players like Phil Stant are obvious choices though, naturally outgoing, been around the block a bit and might also bring in female fans from other clubs like Stockport. 

Ex player ?

Q and A ?

..... Brass ?

;) 

If you had one player to sit at a table with. Who would it be? Peter Swan would have been mine but sadly it now seems he has altzhiemers. What a character he was!

Reggie 😀 Now he was a character! 

Edited by puddin

20 minutes ago, bullockballamos said:

If you had one player to sit at a table with. 

Bury choice. Dean Kiely. One of my favourites.

Non Bury choice. Zach Clough. I have heard he is good at making a meal of it. Failing that, Gordon Ramsay.

1 person likes this

30 minutes ago, bullockballamos said:

If you had one player to sit at a table with. Who would it be? Peter Swan would have been mine but sadly it now seems he has altzhiemers. What a character he was!

Just to clarify he is talking about one who was banned for life for ten years as opposed to the ex-Hull player we had under Stan who was the one I thought he meant.

Either way it's a truly horrible disease

41 minutes ago, ronky said:

Just to clarify he is talking about one who was banned for life for ten years as opposed to the ex-Hull player we had under Stan who was the one I thought he meant.

Either way it's a truly horrible disease

The banned one.  Not saying it was right but a good conversation piece! Had two good years for us. At corners when we chanted his name he used to join in with the chant and the clapping! His final gesture was getting sent off in his last game for us then dropping his shorts to the ref!! 

What about pc bracey? 

He can be here in two capacities then! 😀

20 minutes ago, bullockballamos said:

The banned one.  Not saying it was right but a good conversation piece! Had two good years for us. At corners when we chanted his name he used to join in with the chant and the clapping! His final gesture was getting sent off in his last game for us then dropping his shorts to the ref!! 

They did use proper balls in those days too which may have contributed unfortunately 

1 person likes this

18 minutes ago, puddin said:

What about pc bracey? 

He can be here in two capacities then! 😀

Great bloke, great with the fans and underrated by many due to his successor.

Definitely wouldn't want a meal with Neil Danns, couldn't even pass you the salt.