Engaging with former players

68 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, russ hamer said:

Definitely wouldn't want a meal with Neil Danns, couldn't even pass you the salt.

If he's busy with the salt then he's not mucking things up on the pitch!

Met up with Spike Carter and David Pugh a few months ago, both would be naturals for this type of venture

22 minutes ago, bullockballamos said:

Ryan Lowe obviously.

I appreciate he did great things for the club but my initial point was that it's not just about players from the fairly recent past. 

Craig Madden is great company and would be brilliant in a Q&A, as would Derek Spence. Tommy Claxton would relish being involved in something, as Vinny said Greg Farrell would have middle-aged men losing the power of speech. Johnny Robinson was at the game the other week. There's a list as long as your arm.

Tommy Claxton; not heard that name in a while. Used to frustrate the life out of me; brilliant one week and falling over his feet the next.

45 minutes ago, James said:

I appreciate he did great things for the club but my initial point was that it's not just about players from the fairly recent past. 

Craig Madden is great company and would be brilliant in a Q&A, as would Derek Spence. Tommy Claxton would relish being involved in something, as Vinny said Greg Farrell would have middle-aged men losing the power of speech. Johnny Robinson was at the game the other week. There's a list as long as your arm.

"Gregory Farrell

on half a barrel.

He's the drunken outside right"

"Silent Night, Holy Night,

Christ is playing

Outside right"

Ga ga ga ga splutter

I've just finished reading David Conn's truly brilliant "Richer than God", which interweaves his 40 year odyssey as a Man City fan with the changes that have happened since the Abu Dhabi buyout. One of the huge criticisms of the club through the 80s, 90s and early 2000s was their continued reluctance to acknowledge former players. The minute Mansour and co came in, all the old players were feted, brought back in official capacities, employed as club ambassadors, the history of the club was plastered throughout the stadium etc etc. Interesting parallels with Bury. Now if only someone would come in and give us 400 trillion quadrillion quid a week ...

The football club is 130+ years old. To not acknowledge our glorious (and occasionally storied) past really does defy belief.

There are some interesting posts on this strand.

I agree with those posters who decry the reluctance of the club to acknowledge and celebrate our history.  However, I wonder whether ex-players look at Bury FC in the way that we do.  We've been a stepping-stone club for some and a winding-down club for others.  Many - perhaps most - of our players have turned out for a host of clubs, with varying degrees of success. Should we only invite players who were here when we achieved promotions?.  What about those who played for us in relegation seasons?.

I think the club ought to engage with more ex-players,  but I don't think this process is straightforward or devoid of personal bias.

Edited by RADCLIFFE LOYAL

3 hours ago, Dr P said:

I've just finished reading David Conn's truly brilliant "Richer than God", which interweaves his 40 year odyssey as a Man City fan with the changes that have happened since the Abu Dhabi buyout. One of the huge criticisms of the club through the 80s, 90s and early 2000s was their continued reluctance to acknowledge former players. The minute Mansour and co came in, all the old players were feted, brought back in official capacities, employed as club ambassadors, the history of the club was plastered throughout the stadium etc etc. Interesting parallels with Bury. Now if only someone would come in and give us 400 trillion quadrillion quid a week ...

The football club is 130+ years old. To not acknowledge our glorious (and occasionally storied) past really does defy belief.

Don't forget that when our current regime took charge they put a picture of Sergio Aguero scoring the tittle-winning goal for City vs QPR in the Main Stand corridor. Jonathan Parkinson, the then-commercial manager, couldn't seem to fathom why this was making steam come out of my ears.

1 person likes this

3 hours ago, RADCLIFFE LOYAL said:

I agree with those posters who decry the reluctance of the club to acknowledge and celebrate our history.  However, I wonder whether ex-players look at Bury FC in the way that we do.  We've been a stepping-stone club for some and a winding-down club for others.  Many - perhaps most - of our players have turned out for a host of clubs, with varying degrees of success. Should we only invite players who were here when we achieved promotions?.  What about those who played for us in relegation seasons?.

I think the club ought to engage with more ex-players,  but I don't think this process is straightforward or devoid of personal bias.

Interesting comments. Leighton James only played in one season of course. It was a promotion season, yes, but he was winding down his career too. He felt enough for the club to drive up from South Wales on a Saturday morning to attend - whilst suffering with prostate cancer, we later found out - though.

I was lucky enough to speak to Chris Swailes yesterday and even though he signed in the season we stayed up in the second tier, he only really made an impact in the relegation season that followed. He clearly enjoyed his time at Bury though and I bet he'd enjoy coming back. Not that he can, he's manager at Dunston now so his Saturday afternoons are taken up.

As I said in response to BBA above though, there's a list as long as your arm of players who'd be delighted to come back.

4 hours ago, RADCLIFFE LOYAL said:

Although we think of promotion teams highly I think we also remember many other players well who just tried and put the effort in.

I think it's more a case of a very few players not being welcomed (yes John McGinley I'm talking about you!!!)

1 person likes this

6 minutes ago, ronky said:

I think it's more a case of a very few players not being welcomed (yes John McGinley I'm talking about you!!!)

Having seen McGinlay on the TV not long ago another sit down meal is prbably not the best idea anyway ...

22 minutes ago, ronky said:

Although we think of promotion teams highly I think we also remember many other players well who just tried and put the effort in.

Fairly easy to identify as we have had a player of the season - once even chosen by fans - for years. Are the picture still up in legends?  Trouble is that means Alan Knill and possible Phil Parkinson?

Speaking of former players and season awards, I was fortunate enough to be the person who presented Chris Staines with his player of the season award say back when. I still have the framed photo somewhere! 

16 minutes ago, Spee said:

Speaking of former players and season awards, I was fortunate enough to be the person who presented Chris Staines with his player of the season award say back when. I still have the framed photo somewhere! 

He didn't become a sailor with Captain Pugwash, did he?! :icon_redface:

Edited by StockportShakerPete
2 people like this

Bloody autocorrect! I meant Swailes! :grin:

3 minutes ago, Spee said:

Bloody autocorrect! I meant Swailes! :grin:

You have admitted to not living in Bury on another thread leading me to believe you are a Daley yet now your lack of proofreading leads me to think you are a Bury FC insider ....

Come on which one is it ? ;) 

for the the purposes of Spee's reputation this is a joke 

Edited by shakerste
1 person likes this

39 minutes ago, StockportShakerPete said:

He didn't become a sailor with Captain Pugwash, did he?! :icon_redface:

No but Roger Stanislaus did . . .

1 person likes this