Team for Peterborough

64 posts in this topic

Lainton

Moore Kay C.Burgess Leigh

S.Burgess Etuhu Mellis Mayor

Vaughan Pope

Subs - Williams, Bedeau, Brown, Styles, Walker, G.Miller, Hope.

The younger players have done well but I think it's time to give them a break and bring in some of the new additions. 

4 minutes ago, Shaker Ryan said:

Lainton

Vaughan Pope

The younger players have done well but I think it's time to give them a break and bring in some of the new additions. 

Mackreth for Burgess (he's more of a natural winger), Brown for Etuhu (my patience has expired!) and poss Burgess for Mellis. Otherwise not a bad shout Razza - really hope we play 2 up front though....we've gotta play to our strengths. Shame Soares is suspended. 

What was up with Mellis on Saturday btw? Anyone know? 

Lainton

Moore Kay Big Burgess Leigh

Mackreth little Burgess Brown Mayor 

Vaughan Pope

subs, Williams, Bedeau, Etuhu, Styles, Walker, little Miller, and there is always Hope

oh just remembered Mellis ....

Lainton

Brown       Moore     Bedeau    Leigh

Etuhu

Styles      Melis

Vaughan    Pope      G Miller/Mayor

Subs: Williams, Kay, C Burgess, S Burgess, Macbeth, Hope/G Miller, I Miller

I'm assuming Soares is still suspended and Danny Mayor iffy.  I reckon Taylor Moore is set to be a cracking centre half.  Sorry, Mr Kay :)

7 minutes ago, R11 BFC said:

Mackreth for Burgess (he's more of a natural winger), Brown for Etuhu (my patience has expired!) and poss Burgess for Mellis. Otherwise not a bad shout Razza - really hope we play 2 up front though....we've gotta play to our strengths. Shame Soares is suspended. 

Tight hamstring according to Brass

7 minutes ago, R11 BFC said:

He complained of seeing double in training.

It later transpired he was on the same five a side team as the Burgesses and Millers ...

2 people like this

8 hours ago, Shaker Ryan said:

Lainton

Vaughan Pope

Harsh on Mackreth not to even feature.!

Mellis and Etuhu in centre midfield--not for me

9 hours ago, shakerste said:

Lainton

Vaughan Pope

subs, Williams, Bedeau, Etuhu, Styles, Walker, little Miller, and there is always Hope

That looks a decent starting line up, although I think Etuhu may start instead of little Burgess. The 4 young lads have done really well, but time to give them a short break

Walker would be nowhere near the team IMO

9 hours ago, shakerste said:

Lainton

Vaughan Pope

Thats virtually the team i would go with.Id prefer us to try and get a better left back though.

5 minutes ago, MrBistow said:

Kevin Long for Leigh ..

If that one does come off, given Long's stature and size, there isn't a chance he'll be seen playing LB! I think Leigh will be holding onto his shirt a little longer.

vs Peterborough.PNG

Unlike Scunthorpe in the centre of midfield, Peterborough are much more about creativity and making runs from deep (I know Dawson made a run from deep, but bear with me!). They have an abundance of attack minded midfielders and some highly talented players, including Martin Samuelsen, who they recently brought back from West Ham for a second loan spell. To that effect, I think the defensive line should be deeper and Cameron Burgess could come in for Leigh for greater positional discipline. He could also play closer to Bedeau to ensure the gaps are less pronounced, as Samuelsen or Gwion Edwards will look to push on at any opportunity from Peterborough's right.

More centrally, a potent combination of Chris Forrester and the highly sought after Leonardo da Silva Lopes also like to push forward and have as much time on the ball as possible. Bury cannot allow them to dictate the tempo of the game in the same way as the reverse fixture. to that end, if fit, Bryan should play in a deeper midfield role and his task will simply be to win the ball back and make sure he can pick out a pass that is behind their advanced midfielders. In Soares' absence, Mellis' job will be to get the ball from Bryan and spread it wide to Mackreth or look for Scott Burgess' in-field runs from the left (which will hopefully occupy Michael Smith, Peterborough's right back). Mackreth has already shown in his cameos to date that he has a greater willingness, whether by natural inclination or instruction, to track back than other players Bury have utilised in that position this season. Marcus Maddison likes to cut in and sometimes become a third auxiliary central midfielder, so between Mellis and Mackreth, they need to limit his time and space on the ball.

Peterborough do not normally employ a midfield 'destroyer', so the main strategy should be to get balls to Pope to occupy their centre backs. Pope is better at retaining possession than Vaughan and the other aim should be not to concede possession cheaply. Styles should stick closely to Pope and look for midfield support if the option to shoot or play it back to him is closed off; the effectiveness of the penetration from midfield is where this game will be won or lost.

2 hours ago, scales of justice said:

That looks a decent starting line up, although I think Etuhu may start instead of little Burgess. The 4 young lads have done really well, but time to give them a short break

Walker would be nowhere near the team IMO

It was a close call between Etuhu and little Burgess for me and as I put I also forgot about Mellis but then again I am not sure if he will be available, obviously the same could be said about Mayor.

Walker was there to make up the numbers on the bench if I am brutally honest but other options could be another of the yoof, Big Miller or dare I say it ..... Danns !

I agree about the 4 youngsters in general. The two younger ones - Bedeau and Styles - would benefit from a short break, with the emphasis on the word short. Burgess to a lesser extent which is why he is my team and Miller maybe to a lesser extent as he hasn't been starting every game like the other two.

If the new signings can do the jobs they have been brought in to do then we have a good basis for improvement and the youngsters all provide very good options whether that be starting some games or coming from the bench and we then have Soares to return to midfield in the following game.

Lainton

Moore Kay Maher C.Burgess. 

Mckreth Mellis Brown Mayor

Vaughan Pope

Williams. Bedeau. Styles.S.Burgess.I.Miller.Leigh.Etuhu

3 hours ago, Anyone said:

Thats virtually the team i would go with.Id prefer us to try and get a better left back though.

What's up with Leigh?

1 minute ago, 1903 said:

What's up with Leigh?

Not very good.Only my opinion before you start.

1 person likes this

7 hours ago, scales of justice said:

Harsh on Mackreth not to even feature.!

Mellis and Etuhu in centre midfield--not for me

I'll be honest I did forget him! I know Tom Walker isn't the most popular player on here but he does have certain qualities that could benefit us. His deliveries are top quality and the stats speak for themselves, we don't score enough from set-pieces. Something to consider there. Yes he does need to be more committed but that's easily rectified.

Who would you have? Etuhu is decent at protecting the defence and Mellis is a good box to box midfielder. Maybe Brown for Etuhu, suppose you do get a bit more bite in midfield with him but he is prone to the odd mistake.

Whoever plays it has to be 4-4-2 for me.

Edited by Shaker Ryan

I think Bury will need more bodies in midfield against Peterborough than playing a wide 4-4-2 formation allows. I hope the lessons are learnt from the last encounter in that regard.

42 minutes ago, Shaker Ryan said:

I'll be honest I did forget him! I know Tom Walker isn't the most popular player on here but he does have certain qualities that could benefit us. His deliveries are top quality and the stats speak for themselves, we don't score enough from set-pieces. Something to consider there. Yes he does need to be more committed but that's easily rectified.

Who would you have? Etuhu is decent at protecting the defence and Mellis is a good box to box midfielder. Maybe Brown for Etuhu, suppose you do get a bit more bite in midfield with him but he is prone to the odd mistake.

Whoever plays it has to be 4-4-2 for me.

I disagree with that bit, I think he's chicken, and doesn't relish any physical contact.

Assuming Mayor is fit, I'd start with him and Mackreth out wide. Mackreth was poor at Scunny but he needs time to adjust to league football. If those 2 both play, I'd play Etuhu and Brown in the centre, they both did OK 2nd half at Scunny

3 hours ago, Spee said:

I think Bury will need more bodies in midfield against Peterborough than playing a wide 4-4-2 formation allows. I hope the lessons are learnt from the last encounter in that regard.

That is a very fair point however I would also add that things against Peterborough could have been different if the front two who started hadn't have been broken up with Pope's injury and having Pope and Vaughan up front together for the whole game rather than ten minutes could arguably have a greater impact on the opposition and how they approach or adapt to things. Also, on this occasion we (hopefully) won't have a central midfielder starting at right back (Etuhu). 

1 minute ago, shakerste said:

That is a very fair point however I would also add that things against Peterborough could have been different if the front two who started hadn't have been broken up with Pope's injury and having Pope and Vaughan up front together for the whole game rather than ten minutes could arguably have a greater impact on the opposition and how they approach or adapt to things. Also, on this occasion we (hopefully) won't have a central midfielder starting at right back (Etuhu). 

Agreed. We could and should have been 2 up after 10 minutes. The rest is history... 

Whatever team i pick, i always feel we need an extra player! Play 5 in midfield and we're light up front, play 2 up front and the midfield cant cope. That's why i'm a fan of 352 - seems to kill 2 birds with one stone to me. Whether we have the players/fit players for it, is another matter. One for Spee!

17 minutes ago, R11 BFC said:

Agreed. We could and should have been 2 up after 10 minutes. The rest is history... 

Whatever team i pick, i always feel we need an extra player! Play 5 in midfield and we're light up front, play 2 up front and the midfield cant cope. That's why i'm a fan of 352 - seems to kill 2 birds with one stone to me. Whether we have the players/fit players for it, is another matter. One for Spee!

Funny, I don't think you have mentioned that formation before  ;) 

Kay, Big Burgess and Bedeau could be a decent, well balanced back three maybe ?

If you go to a 352 it could benefit Leigh but if that was the formation I would be more in favour of a return of Hussey ...

I haven't seen Moore play so don't know if a wing back position would be for him or whether he is more of a full back / centre back sort of player ? (We did also have one bloke who played right full back before but I can't remember his name - used to run a lot, we signed him from a Welsh side and someone on here had a massive crush on him ?😍?)

Assuming Pope and Vaughan were the front two (rather than another midfielder playing in an advanced role) that leaves the midfield three - right now chosen from Etuhu, Soares (after the suspension!), Mellis (if fit!!) Brown, little Burgess, Mayor (if fit !!!) Styles, Danns (😲) and probably someone I have forgotten and you also have the perhaps more out and out wider players - like "The Scouse Winger" or the "The Gone Walker Bout".

I think I will let you pick the midfield three ??? ;) 

1 person likes this

Lainton      

Moore  Burgess Kay Leigh

Brown  Etuhu

Mellis                     Mayor

Vaughan   Pope

Subs   G Miller   A Tutte  Mackreth  Bedeau  Styles  Maher  S Burgess