Team for Peterborough
0

64 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, Shaker Norra said:

If that one does come off, given Long's stature and size, there isn't a chance he'll be seen playing LB! I think Leigh will be holding onto his shirt a little longer.

His profile States he can also play full back...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Shaker Norra said:

If that one does come off, given Long's stature and size, there isn't a chance he'll be seen playing LB! I think Leigh will be holding onto his shirt a little longer.

That is another yellow card before we have even started then !!

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MrBistow said:

His profile States he can also play full back...

He probably can and probably has during his career! But he's a CB by trade and that's what he'll want to be playing as here, in my opinion.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Spee said:

vs Peterborough.PNG

Unlike Scunthorpe in the centre of midfield, Peterborough are much more about creativity and making runs from deep (I know Dawson made a run from deep, but bear with me!). They have an abundance of attack minded midfielders and some highly talented players, including Martin Samuelsen, who they recently brought back from West Ham for a second loan spell. To that effect, I think the defensive line should be deeper and Cameron Burgess could come in for Leigh for greater positional discipline. He could also play closer to Bedeau to ensure the gaps are less pronounced, as Samuelsen or Gwion Edwards will look to push on at any opportunity from Peterborough's right.

More centrally, a potent combination of Chris Forrester and the highly sought after Leonardo da Silva Lopes also like to push forward and have as much time on the ball as possible. Bury cannot allow them to dictate the tempo of the game in the same way as the reverse fixture. to that end, if fit, Bryan should play in a deeper midfield role and his task will simply be to win the ball back and make sure he can pick out a pass that is behind their advanced midfielders. In Soares' absence, Mellis' job will be to get the ball from Bryan and spread it wide to Mackreth or look for Scott Burgess' in-field runs from the left (which will hopefully occupy Michael Smith, Peterborough's right back). Mackreth has already shown in his cameos to date that he has a greater willingness, whether by natural inclination or instruction, to track back than other players Bury have utilised in that position this season. Marcus Maddison likes to cut in and sometimes become a third auxiliary central midfielder, so between Mellis and Mackreth, they need to limit his time and space on the ball.

Peterborough do not normally employ a midfield 'destroyer', so the main strategy should be to get balls to Pope to occupy their centre backs. Pope is better at retaining possession than Vaughan and the other aim should be not to concede possession cheaply. Styles should stick closely to Pope and look for midfield support if the option to shoot or play it back to him is closed off; the effectiveness of the penetration from midfield is where this game will be won or lost.

This post is quite amazing. You have a tremendous knowledge of both our players and the opposition. You must spend hours doing this analysis. Have you thought of applying to BFC for a full-time post as "sports analyst" or whatever the current role title is? You might as well get paid for your time. Seriously though, it provides a fascinating read. I'm more of an "I like him so he should play" kind of guy. So Mayor, Vaughn, Scott Burgess and Craig Jones (when fit) would always be in my team, whatever the formation or opposition.   

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Ian Thompson said:

This post is quite amazing. You have a tremendous knowledge of both our players and the opposition. You must spend hours doing this analysis. Have you thought of applying to BFC for a full-time post as "sports analyst" or whatever the current role title is? You might as well get paid for your time. Seriously though, it provides a fascinating read. I'm more of an "I like him so he should play" kind of guy. So Mayor, Vaughn, Scott Burgess and Craig Jones (when fit) would always be in my team, whatever the formation or opposition.   

His 'analysis' is very good, but not so keen on his team selection...!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, scales of justice said:

His 'analysis' is very good, but not so keen on his team selection...!!

You need to have some creative players in amongst the battlers! ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Spee said:

You need to have some creative players in amongst the battlers! ;)

Agreed, but time to pull Styles and Bedeau, and maybe even S Burgess, out of the firing line for a short time..! 

Mayor in my team if fit.

C Burgess is 6' 4", so he has to play centre half

2 up front at home !

 

 

5 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ian Thompson said:

This post is quite amazing. You have a tremendous knowledge of both our players and the opposition. You must spend hours doing this analysis. Have you thought of applying to BFC for a full-time post as "sports analyst" or whatever the current role title is? You might as well get paid for your time. Seriously though, it provides a fascinating read. I'm more of an "I like him so he should play" kind of guy. So Mayor, Vaughn, Scott Burgess and Craig Jones (when fit) would always be in my team, whatever the formation or opposition.   

Thanks for your kind words. I don't actually live near Bury and I believe they already have someone who does this sort of role called Jimmy Dickinson.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, shakerste said:

Funny, I don't think you have mentioned that formation before  ;) 

Kay, Big Burgess and Bedeau could be a decent, well balanced back three maybe ?

If you go to a 352 it could benefit Leigh but if that was the formation I would be more in favour of a return of Hussey ...

I haven't seen Moore play so don't know if a wing back position would be for him or whether he is more of a full back / centre back sort of player ? (We did also have one bloke who played right full back before but I can't remember his name - used to run a lot, we signed him from a Welsh side and someone on here had a massive crush on him ?😍?)

Assuming Pope and Vaughan were the front two (rather than another midfielder playing in an advanced role) that leaves the midfield three - right now chosen from Etuhu, Soares (after the suspension!), Mellis (if fit!!) Brown, little Burgess, Mayor (if fit !!!) Styles, Danns (😲) and probably someone I have forgotten and you also have the perhaps more out and out wider players - like "The Scouse Winger" or the "The Gone Walker Bout".

I think I will let you pick the midfield three ??? ;) 

 

 

I've not seen Cameron Burgess play in person before but it's interesting to note that he hasn't played at left back for Oldham even once this season; he has however been the left-sided centre back in three, four and five man defences for them. The main question mark would be who would be the middle centre back of the three on current availability. Given that Bedeau is also left-footed, it would make a degree of sense for it to be him but he's still inexperienced and it is often the job of that player to keep the discipline of the trio in order to maintain a good shape as it 'easiest' to do that if you can see one on either side and helps communication; therefore, it has to be Kay at the moment. It's also of great benefit if at least two of the three are comfortable on the ball, both for the obvious reason that it helps prevent goalscoring chances for the opposition and less likely to concede possession cheaply but also because if you're unfamiliar with that setup or your teammates, it reduces the number of times that the unit as a whole comes under pressure whilst they're still trying to work out the weak points.

Reece Brown would be a better bet on this occasion in a 3-5-2. It is a formation he has some limited experience of playing, he is naturally right footed and has performed competently at centre back for Bury in the past. The other 'problem' area is then right wing-back. Without Jones, it's a toss-up between Maher (if fit), who has shown a desire to roam forward when playing right back before and Moore, who has less first team experience and doesn't count that role amongst his list of positions (he stated centre back, right back and defensive midfield in the interview after the Scunthorpe defeat). Given the threat I've already outlined Peterborough have from midfield, I would advocate that Moore or Maher fill in almost as a traditional right back when the ball is in the opposition's possession. That would leave C. Burgess to cover the left channel, doubtlessly vacated by Leigh. Leigh's role would be vital as he would almost be alone in providing true width in this setup. The defence would look for Bryan or Leigh if in space to start attacks and mix it up by going long to Pope but only if he had sufficient support.

The midfield in terms of personnel and roles would be largely unchanged from the rough 4-2-3-1 I posted previously in this thread, but with Scott Burgess being the most advanced of the '5' both in and out of possession and drifting into the right channel when Leigh has the ball and/or Pope needs support. Pope's role would also remain the same but Vaughan would be partnering him and looking all the time to stick close to him so he could have the ball laid off to him or run in behind the defensive line for a cross or pass from Pope, S. Burgess or Mellis. The midfield being calm in possession and acting as the pivot between defence and attack would remain the key battleground in the match.

 

3-5-2.PNG

 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Spee said:

I've not seen Cameron Burgess play in person before but it's interesting to note that he hasn't played at left back for Oldham even once this season; he has however been the left-sided centre back in three, four and five man defences for them. The main question mark would be who would be the middle centre back of the three on current availability. Given that Bedeau is also left-footed, it would make a degree of sense for it to be him but he's still inexperienced and it is often the job of that player to keep the discipline of the trio in order to maintain a good shape as it 'easiest' to do that if you can see one on either side and helps communication; therefore, it has to be Kay at the moment. It's also of great benefit if at least two of the three are comfortable on the ball, both for the obvious reason that it helps prevent goalscoring chances for the opposition and less likely to concede possession cheaply but also because if you're unfamiliar with that setup or your teammates, it reduces the number of times that the unit as a whole comes under pressure whilst they're still trying to work out the weak points.

Reece Brown would be a better bet on this occasion in a 3-5-2. It is a formation he has some limited experience of playing, he is naturally right footed and has performed competently at centre back for Bury in the past. The other 'problem' area is then right wing-back. Without Jones, it's a toss-up between Maher (if fit), who has shown a desire to roam forward when playing right back before and Moore, who has less first team experience and doesn't count that role amongst his list of positions (he stated centre back, right back and defensive midfield in the interview after the Scunthorpe defeat). Given the threat I've already outlined Peterborough have from midfield, I would advocate that Moore or Maher fill in almost as a traditional right back when the ball is in the opposition's possession. That would leave C. Burgess to cover the left channel, doubtlessly vacated by Leigh. Leigh's role would be vital as he would almost be alone in providing true width in this setup. The defence would look for Bryan or Leigh if in space to start attacks and mix it up by going long to Pope but only if he had sufficient support.

The midfield in terms of personnel and roles would be largely unchanged from the rough 4-2-3-1 I posted previously in this thread, but with Scott Burgess being the most advanced of the '5' both in and out of possession and drifting into the right channel when Leigh has the ball and/or Pope needs support. Pope's role would also remain the same but Vaughan would be partnering him and looking all the time to stick close to him so he could have the ball laid off to him or run in behind the defensive line for a cross or pass from Pope, S. Burgess or Mellis. The midfield being calm in possession and acting as the pivot between defence and attack would remain the key battleground in the match.

 

3-5-2.PNG

 

Very commendably written in theory, but I disagree with some of your ideas

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is interesting reading, but it assumes that certain players have the ability and/or intelligence to perform such roles.

There are also a couple of things to remember from the reverse fixture. Firstly, that until Pope punctured his lung, we were playing well and were the better side. Secondly, Flitcroft decided to play Etuhu at RB for the first half.

I think Brass will play a variation of 433 as he has for much of the time he's been in charge - the Oxford game being the most conventional use of it. If Mayor is fit, I would play him as one of the attacking players.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

             Lainton

Moore Bedeau Kay Leigh 

Hope Etuhu Mellis Mayor

            Burgess

            Hope

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder if Peterborough are as worried about us and our line-up as Spee is about their midfield attacking prowess - I tend to be a bit gungho and let them worry about us rather than worry about them.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, astleywhite said:

I wonder if Peterborough are as worried about us and our line-up as Spee is about their midfield attacking prowess - I tend to be a bit gungho and let them worry about us rather than worry about them.

What have they got to worry about us though?If they are on song on saturday,they will murder us.They concede like we do but they outscore their opponents more often than not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Their performance against Chelsea could see this go one of two ways. May well be drained emotionally and find it difficult to be "up" at a freezing Gigg Lane. Number of times a big day / performance in the cup leads to an after the lord mayor show performance - unless that is just us! I think they will be there for the taking.    May also of course be hyper confident and 4 up after 10 minutes... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Anyone said:

What have they got to worry about us though?If they are on song on saturday,they will murder us.They concede like we do but they outscore their opponents more often than not.

Are you free to do the player's pre match motivational talk on Saturday ? ;) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, astleywhite said:

I wonder if Peterborough are as worried about us and our line-up as Spee is about their midfield attacking prowess - I tend to be a bit gungho and let them worry about us rather than worry about them.

Is that who we are playing on Saturday ? ;) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, shakerste said:

Are you free to do the player's pre match motivational talk on Saturday ? ;) 

Maybe thats the type of team talk needed.Aim to prove me wrong.

Seems the nice team talks are not working.

Edited by Anyone

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Anyone said:

Maybe thats the type of team talk needed.Aim to prove me wrong.

Seems the nice team talks are not working.

Is that possible ? ;) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, shaker429 said:

That Hope gets about in your team!

Keep up ! We now clone one player a week.

Miller, Burgess and now Hope. 

Sadly the process didn't quite go to plan with Mayor / Maher ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

a work colleague who is a big Oldham fan ,said C Burgess and Clarke formed a good partnership. Whilst Oldham can't score for love nor money ,their defence has been a lot better than ours this season.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Alan B said:

a work colleague who is a big Oldham fan ,said C Burgess and Clarke formed a good partnership. Whilst Oldham can't score for love nor money ,their defence has been a lot better than ours this season.

Has to play on Saturday. 

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, R11 BFC said:

Has to play on Saturday. 

Agreed, with a much more confident, composed and vocal Kay in the team they could strike up a decent partnership. IMO as well Brass needs to drop the 4-3-3, stick to the 4-4-2, we need am extra midfielder to protect the defence. I sincerely hope we are not about to see another case of a stubborn manager refusing to change his ways. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/11/2017 at 16:16, shaker429 said:

That Hope gets about in your team!

Sorry meant Vaughan!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
0