Our new non corrupt world body

21 posts in this topic

Will never complete the Panini album

2 people like this

1 hour ago, Vambo said:

Will never complete the Panini album

I believe that they are the big people behind this move!

That said I remember collecting 25 teams in my collection for Italia '90.

32 teams has kind of always seemed too many. 24 would be perfect for the World Cup in my opinion but 32 has been a just about acceptable number that I had hoped wouldn't rise, it appears money has sadly but expectedly spoken again.

Perhaps rather hypocritically on my part I was in two minds about the Euros going to 24 teams, as it got closer I quite liked the idea. Following the tournament however I think that one should be reduced back to 16.

At this rate I predict that at the World Cup of 2066 ( our 100th year of hurt ) there will be a total of 256 teams involved, including Premier League B sides, in a tournament that actually takes over four years to complete ....

Edited by shakerste
1 person likes this

Take your pick from various websites, there are 193 to 196 countries in the world so 25% are in.

Will they still bother with World Cup Qualifiers.?

Ahh I've got it, Supremo Day is to turn Bury in to a one nation state and compete on a world level.

The five year plan all falls into place now.

32 minutes ago, Maddentapin said:

Take your pick from various websites, there are 193 to 196 countries in the world so 25% are in.

Will they still bother with World Cup Qualifiers.?

Ahh I've got it, Supremo Day is to turn Bury in to a one nation state and compete on a world level.

The five year plan all falls into place now.

There are 193 UN nations plus 4 others generally accepted but FIFA recognises more than that, the UK is just one country at the UN yet possibly 11 countries per FIFA.

Oceania has some "countries" not recognised by the UN, such as American Samoa but other countries without a team eg the Marshall Islands.

At the moment there are 211 FIFA teams plus 12 countries recognised by continental federations eg UEFA but not FIFA.

1 person likes this

The big problem with the current group stages is that teams are afraid of losing their first couple of games. In a 2 game group this will become even more so, especially when you know 2 draws and a decisive result in the other game will put you through. 

Factor in the reason that final group games all kick off, Germany 1 Austria 0, and it  could become a disgrace. For me integrity has gone. If desperate to get more countries involved why not make it a two tier competition, for those familiar with rugby 7s (and other sports) they have secondary competitions such as Shields or plates below the main cup.

Crumbs, I hope England don't get drawn against the Faroe Islands. 

33 minutes ago, ronky said:

The big problem with the current group stages is that teams are afraid of losing their first couple of games. In a 2 game group this will become even more so, especially when you know 2 draws and a decisive result in the other game will put you through. 

Factor in the reason that final group games all kick off, Germany 1 Austria 0, and it  could become a disgrace. For me integrity has gone. If desperate to get more countries involved why not make it a two tier competition, for those familiar with rugby 7s (and other sports) they have secondary competitions such as Shields or plates below the main cup.

Thought a bit more about this option, World Cup is held in Europe, World Plate is held in Australia and because of the timezones you can have 16+ hours of football every day which would boost viewing figures and sponsorship even more!

The simple solution to the 'Germany vs Austria' quandary is to make every group game decisive, e.g. a penalty shootout after 90 minutes to get a winner and a loser. You then can't really play for a draw/mutually beneficial scoreline, especially if the tie-breaking criteria for group play is changed. Either that or only have the top team in each group of three qualify to a knockout round of 16...

3 hours ago, Spee said:

The simple solution to the 'Germany vs Austria' quandary is to make every group game decisive, e.g. a penalty shootout after 90 minutes to get a winner and a loser. You then can't really play for a draw/mutually beneficial scoreline, especially if the tie-breaking criteria for group play is changed. Either that or only have the top team in each group of three qualify to a knockout round of 16...

If a game is a draw at the end of the game then it is a draw.

21 hours ago, ronky said:

There are 193 UN nations plus 4 others generally accepted but FIFA recognises more than that, the UK is just one country at the UN yet possibly 11 countries per FIFA.

Oceania has some "countries" not recognised by the UN, such as American Samoa but other countries without a team eg the Marshall Islands.

At the moment there are 211 FIFA teams plus 12 countries recognised by continental federations eg UEFA but not FIFA.

I can only bow to your knowledge Ronky!

Keep adding all these teams and I tell you now, it'll all end in tiers ....

1 hour ago, Maddentapin said:

I can only bow to your knowledge Ronky!

I spend to much time on Sporcle so I know the first bit, the second bit I Google drive 😀

13 hours ago, 1903 said:

If a game is a draw at the end of the game then it is a draw.

Watch this space. ;)

Scotland will qualify in 2030 when  64 teams get to the final.

8 hours ago, postcorvus said:

Or when the World Cup is held in Scotland!

8 hours ago, postcorvus said:

On ‎11‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 15:39, Spee said:

So, if Israel versus Palestine ends in a draw there will be a shoot out.

1 person likes this

Only if Palestine occupy the Israeli half for any length of time.

1 person likes this

18 hours ago, Maddentapin said:

Or when the World Cup is held in Scotland!

You're sounding like jimmy krankie now offering false promises that will come with independence! 

4 hours ago, ronky said:

You're sounding like jimmy krankie now offering false promises that will come with independence! 

Whisper it, but I've got a hotline to Nicola Sturgeon!

1 person likes this