Best keeper since you started following the Shakers

Best Goalkeeper   21 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you believe is our greatest keeper?

• Pre 1993
    • Gary Kelly
    • Lee Bracey
    • Dean Kiely
    • Paddy Kenny
    • Glyn Garner
    • Kasper Schmeichel
    • Brian Jensen
    • Nick Pope

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

12 posts in this topic

Been thinking on this considering the on going debate about our keepers. We were very blessed in my early days following Bury as far as keepers are concerned. Decided to list all those in my 24 years who I believe made a positive impact as keeper at Bury.  Also added an option for pre 1993 for those old codgers. 

Will try and list my reasons later. 

Look forward to seeing people's views and I appreciate none of those listed are as good as SOJ. 

Edited by Barry P

Gary Kelly - He the first keeper I ever saw at Bury, though I only saw him briefly before he was injured. However when he came back in 1994/95 he was fantastic. 24 clean sheets kept, a heroic performance at Deepdale in the playoff semi final and a string of other match winning saves. One of my favourites being against Champions elect Carlisle at Gigg Lane on Easter Saturday 1995. Rory Delap ran through one on one early on and Kelly pulled off a great save at his near post. Was gutted when I found out he had left us for Oldham.

Lee Bracey - Okay he wasn't first choice but he was a pretty good keeper to step in if Kelly was suspended or injured. Seem to recall a string of penalty saves he pulled off in the 1993/94 season and he did well when regularly called upon in 1995/96.

Dean Kiely - well I was gutted when Kelly left but an even better keeper replaced him. Just 7 goals let in at Gigg Lane in the whole season and less we forget the penalty save at Watford, then there was the penalty save the following season against City. You always felt assured with him in net, there were never any clangers or dropped balls from crosses. The fact we sold him for (correct me if I am wrong) a million pound in 1999, went onto play regularly in the EPL and represent his country says it all.

Paddy Kenny - A very good keeper in a very poor team. It was a dark time for the club so not much to mention that was hugely memorable. But he did keep us in many games, saved a few penalties and was generally a very reliable and passionate keeper. A travesty that we had no choice but to let him go for so cheap, another one who has represented his country and played in the EPL.

Glyn Garner - Something of a rookie when he stepped into become number one. Prone to the odd error at first but got stronger as he progressed, put in some match winning performances, notably in 02/03 as we battled to a playoff place.                                                      

There was of course the game at Spotland in March 2004. We had already lost to them twice that season so we feared the worst when Dale were awarded a penalty in the first half. Townson smashed it and Garner saved it fantastically. After that he seemed forever reliable when it came to saving penalties. Sad that he left us for nowt but he got himself a well earned promotion on his CV with Orient in 05/06, something he would have never achieved with us. Very much an underrated BFC GK for me.

Kasper Schmeichel - Well the keepers brought in to replace Garner in the summer of 2005 were poor and we struggled in that department for a lot of the season. Then around February Chris Casper pulled off a masterstroke in signing Schmeichel jnr. He was a revelation, pulling off saves a keeper of that size and at league two level should not be pulling off. Remember he kept us in the game in a 1-1 draw at Spotland. Never recall a dropped ball or fumbled cross and who can ever forget his celebrations when we scored at Edgeley Park or when we beat Darlo. Short lived in his two spells but a very good, passionate servant of BFC. 

Brian Jensen - I would say he was the first genuinely good, reliable keeper we'd had since KS. Commanding, dominant and reliable, having him between the sticks was no doubt a huge factor in us pulling away from relegation trouble in March 2014. Rightly won fans player of the year and then was controversially released. Had he been kept on and we had entered 14/15 with him between the sticks then perhaps we would not have had that mid season blip that nearly cost us promotion. I still miss his commanding presence in the box now. :-(

Nick Pope - Well after months of goalkeeper roulette we seemed to lack a first class, commanding goalkeeper, a missing piece of the jigsaw so to speak. In comes Pope and all of a sudden our defence looked miles better. He could command, he could organise and he didn't seem to drop many howlers (can only think of the Morecambe game). Always seemed reliable and relaxed, even in the dying minutes against Tranmere with their free kicks, corners and throw ins, there never seemed any danger owing to Pope and his presence and his ability to organise a defence. Arguably one of DF's most inspired signings, what I would give to have him back.

Edited by Barry P
3 people like this

Covered all of my great keepers.

I could see some argue that Kasper has gone on to more than Deano but for me the vote is on what they did at our club and great performances in the second tier outweigh saving us from non league football. 

11 minutes ago, ronky said:

Covered all of my great keepers.

I could see some argue that Kasper has gone on to more than Deano but for me the vote is on what they did at our club and great performances in the second tier outweigh saving us from non league football. 

I just knew he would save that penalty at Watford the moment my brother told me they had a penalty.

I was pretty lucky in that the period 1993-2005 we consistently had very good goalkeepers. Then Garner left and was replaced by Neil Edwards, a goalkeeper deemed not good enough at Spotland....xD

PS Any Dale fans reading this I appreciate Edwards was a very good keeper in his day but was way past his best when we signed him.

Edited by Barry P

Sounds like i'm an old codger then!

Some great shouts Barry, but it would be Neville Southall for me, even though he was gunge for the first few games and replaced John Forrest (the keeper i'd only ever really known as a kid - 430 appearances in 14 years between 1966 and 1980). 

But yeah...Southall for me, especially given what he went on to achieve - probably the best keeper in the world at one stage. 

1 hour ago, R11 BFC said:

Sounds like i'm an old codger then!

Some great shouts Barry, but it would be Neville Southall for me, even though he was gunge for the first few games and replaced John Forrest (the keeper i'd only ever really known as a kid - 430 appearances in 14 years between 1966 and 1980). 

But yeah...Southall for me, especially given what he went on to achieve - probably the best keeper in the world at one stage. 

I always forget Neville Southall was our keeper, but as I am a nipper he was before my time.... :P

55 minutes ago, Barry P said:

I always forget Neville Southall was our keeper, but as I am a nipper he was before my time.... :P

You're catching me up though. %age wise at least!

Let's not forget Phil Hughes the only shaker to be in a world cup squad.

1 person likes this

6 hours ago, ronky said:

Seconded. 

1 hour ago, R11 BFC said:

You're catching me up though. %age wise at least!

You make a point, a load of posters on here probably don't have a clue on these early 90s keepers. 

Neil Ramsbottom? A great keeper from when I started watching the Shakers and spent 5 years at Gigg, (unthinkable, I know, after our recent history with keepers). Can't quite remember whether or not he came through with the great youth team including Colin Bell.

4 hours ago, RNaj1 said:

Neil Ramsbottom? A great keeper from when I started watching the Shakers and spent 5 years at Gigg, (unthinkable, I know, after our recent history with keepers). Can't quite remember whether or not he came through with the great youth team including Colin Bell.

The great Youth team you refer to would be the one that beat Derby County, Oldham Athletic, Wrexham, Liverpool and Stoke City to reach the FA Youth Cup Semi Final against Sunderland in 1965-66. I believe that John Forrest was the keeper in that side.  Bell was a little too old for that side and had been playing in the first team since early 1964.  The likes of Jimmy Kerr, Alec LIndsay and Colin Waldron did play.