Recruitment
2 2

15 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

We've seen some excellent signings so far and we seem to have done a lot of business early.  This leaves the question how many more players do we need? I'm going with:-

Presumably Williams will leave so a backup keeper will be needed, presumably a young keeper Clark has managed before.

1 more defender.  We can't bank on Cameron and Jones staying injury free.  Already heavily linked with Aldred.

1 more midfielder Especially if either Mayor or Ismail look likely to miss the start of the season.  We have been linked with a couple so that seems about right.

1 Striker.  We have Vaughan, Beckford and Miller.  If we are going 442 we will need more cover having released Pope, Hope, Ishmael Miller, Brown and Lowe not playing next season.  Presumably a young striker will come in.

On that basis I would say we need 4 to complete the squad plus replacements for anyone who might leave such as Kay.  Loanees will play their part but injuries are inevitable so 4 more plus loanees as and when we need them should see us strong.  2 players for every position should then be covered.

Edited by UTS

Mayor and Ismail look likely to miss the start of the season?

Have they both have limbs removed.

According to the official site we have a squad of 24 (includes Caddis and Ryan Lowe)

I reckon we're getting close to one in one out.

Talks with Caddis have broken down apparently Blackburn have been sniffing around.

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, redvales ronny said:

Mayor and Ismail look likely to miss the start of the season?

Have they both have limbs removed.

You missed the "if either Mayor or Ismail".

However, Ismail hasn't played this year so there is no guarantee he will be ready for pre season.  He had a 6 month injury whilst at Wolves and got injured twice whilst at Burton, had a spell injured whilst at Notts Co so he isn't a 30+ game a season player so far in his career.  I'm pretty sure he didnt manage many more than 15 games last season.  Mayor had several setbacks with his recovery (been several months now) so we have no idea where he is up to.

I don't think its a foregone conclusion that they have both suddenly recovered.

Edited by UTS

I can't see it possible Mayor is injured again . He finished the game at Southend and unless he's picked up a back strain on the coach home he should be raring to go come July 1st 

11 hours ago, shakerite66 said:

I can't see it possible Mayor is injured again . He finished the game at Southend and unless he's picked up a back strain on the coach home he should be raring to go come July 1st 

He made the bench on Boxing day, didn't play and then was out for another 5 months.  Hopefully it is all now behind him.

On 02/06/2017 at 21:43, UTS said:

We've seen some excellent signings so far and we seem to have done a lot of business early.  This leaves the question how many more players do we need? I'm going with:-

Presumably Williams will leave so a backup keeper will be needed, presumably a young keeper Clark has managed before.

1 more defender.  We can't bank on Cameron and Jones staying injury free.  Already heavily linked with Aldred.

1 more midfielder Especially if either Mayor or Ismail look likely to miss the start of the season.  We have been linked with a couple so that seems about right.

1 Striker.  We have Vaughan, Beckford and Miller.  If we are going 442 we will need more cover having released Pope, Hope, Ishmael Miller, Brown and Lowe not playing next season.  Presumably a young striker will come in.

On that basis I would say we need 4 to complete the squad plus replacements for anyone who might leave such as Kay.  Loanees will play their part but injuries are inevitable so 4 more plus loanees as and when we need them should see us strong.  2 players for every position should then be covered.

For the time being!  I can't see Vaughny staying with us if he's able to get another shot at the Championship.  Presumably Clark has factored this in as well.  If Vaughan leaves, we will certainly need two more strikers.  Young Miller can't be expected to play every game, and if Clark's preferred formation is 4-4-2 we will need another experienced striker as back up.

I'm annoyed that we are still paying Pope's wages even though he's signed for Port Vale. 

8 hours ago, Five Bellies said:

I'm annoyed that we are still paying Pope's wages even though he's signed for Port Vale. 

Are we? I thought we terminated his contract so he could sign for them.

20 minutes ago, RNaj1 said:

Are we? I thought we terminated his contract so he could sign for them.

I think it will be terminated for the 1st July.

Yeah ignore that guy, the contract has been terminated so Pope could move on. It isn't a transfer where some contracts can still be paid off, its a termination so the contract is cancelled.

The only possibility is that we paid him off or came to a settlement with him. Unlikely though.

21 minutes ago, Sittingonthefence said:

Yeah ignore that guy, the contract has been terminated so Pope could move on. It isn't a transfer where some contracts can still be paid off, its a termination so the contract is cancelled.

The only possibility is that we paid him off or came to a settlement with him. Unlikely though.

More than likely unfortunately 

http://m.stokesentinel.co.uk/tom-pope-it-feels-fantastic-to-be-back-at-port-vale/story-30340988-detail/story.html

1 hour ago, Sittingonthefence said:

Straight from the horses mouth!

Donkey according to some 😛

1 person likes this