Next signing?
1 1

269 posts in this topic

Some fans are getting very excited about who the next signing is going to be - and they are fans that seem to be in the know, predicting correctly in recent months. 

They are reluctant to divulge this time round. Any predictions?

I'm going to stick my neck out and go for either Matt Done or Jay O'Shea. I wouldn't have even considered these two 4 weeks ago but our recent signings suggest we are going for it!

Jay O'Shea rejected us according to a recent article.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

It has to be a Lee Clark connection and someone out of contract as were not going to pay a fee. If there out of contract then one begs the question why ? 

Any good player from a higher division would have been tied up as generally they have money, so they will be surplus to requirements for a reason.

With all our signings we can make a case for it being positive, but to be automatically excited would involve a proven name, in or approaching his prime with miles on the clock - this involves a big fee and I just can't see that happening.

But please not Leon Clark, a good finisher but sluggish in stimulating a collectively effective attacking unit as a whole, but still an improvement from the legend that is Tom Pope.

Edited by MrBistow

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, MrBistow said:

It has to be a Lee Clark connection and someone out of contract as were not going to pay a fee. If there out of contract then one begs the question why ? 

Any good player from a higher division would have been tied up as generally they have money, so they will be surplus to requirements for a reason.

With all our signings we can make a case for it being positive, but to be automatically excited would involve a proven name, in or approaching his prime with miles on the clock - this involves a big fee and I just can't see that happening.

But please not Leon Clark, a good finisher but sluggish in stimulating a collectively effective attacking unit as a whole, but still an improvement from the legend that is Tom Pope.

Alex Bruce has been mentioned but if possible Done would be a cracking addition with the balance he would give us on our left .

Edited by shakerite66
1 person likes this

I would settle for Vaughan renewing his contract! 😁

8 people like this

45 minutes ago, shakerite66 said:

Alex Bruce has been mentioned but if possible Done would be a cracking addition with the balance he would give us on our left .

I think you expressed my point, any of these signings we would accept but as the thread post says we will be 'Very excited'.  Can't say any of these have got me very excited..

2 hours ago, MrBistow said:

Adam Thompson isn't a Lee Clark connection. He's out of contract because Southend haven't acted quickly enough and the manager is on holiday! Plus, we could offer more. He's entering his prime and has miles on the clock. He's definitely got the fans excited!

3 hours ago, Sittingonthefence said:

Jay O'Shea rejected us according to a recent article.

That's all part of contract negotiations, surely? We can always go back with a bigger offer!

Wingers and flair players seem to be where we are lacking. Obviously playing with a fully fit Danny Mayor and Zeli would be fantastic - but there's been no sign of the latter for a while or any mention of his progress and Mackreth didn't look up to it if we are going to be pushing for the top half. 

14 minutes ago, KLOOT said:

Wingers and flair players seem to be where we are lacking. Obviously playing with a fully fit Danny Mayor and Zeli would be fantastic - but there's been no sign of the latter for a while or any mention of his progress and Mackreth didn't look up to it if we are going to be pushing for the top half. 

Mckreth looked fine to me but I'm probably in a minority of one but his direct running looked to cause Sheff Utd all sorts of bother

1 person likes this

55 minutes ago, KLOOT said:

Judged on what? An hour's game time!

1 person likes this

We are in for a midfielder who would IMHO be our best signing to date, I even think he comes with a transfer fee, one of our youngsters from the first team squad is being eyed by a prem club. 

17 minutes ago, StockportShakerPete said:

Judged on what? An hour's game time!

And the fact that he was sent out on loan when we literally had no pace in th team. Perhaps my wording was wrong. 

1 person likes this

14 minutes ago, KLOOT said:

And the fact that he was sent out on loan when we literally had no pace in th team. Perhaps my wording was wrong. 

He was brought in as "one to be developed", not as a player who was ready to slot into the first team.

21 minutes ago, david fitcroft said:

THE TURKISH MESSI

For Turkish midfielders, I can only think of Karacan at Bolton, but I thought he had just signed a new contract?

Griezmann is not fooling anyone,he's on his way as Ronaldo will only come when we get to the Championship.

26 minutes ago, steveb said:

Erhun Otzumer?

He's under contract so it would involve a fee.

Are you sure? I think he didn't sign the twelve month option. Could be wrong!

5 minutes ago, steveb said:

Are you sure? I think he didn't sign the twelve month option. Could be wrong!

He's got 12 months left but is refusing to sign a new deal so they may cash out on him now.

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, StockportShakerPete said:

He was brought in as "one to be developed", not as a player who was ready to slot into the first team.

Even though he WAS thrown straight into the first team? How have we developed him? Sent him back to where he was playing?! I think Brass and Day were hoping for me and Clark has come in and realised he's not up to it. Hope I'm proved wrong. He has got pace to burn and also has age on his side so he could come good after a full pres season with us and training at the amazing Carrington!!

1 minute ago, KLOOT said:

Even though he WAS thrown straight into the first team? How have we developed him? Sent him back to where he was playing?! I think Brass and Day were hoping for me and Clark has come in and realised he's not up to it. Hope I'm proved wrong. He has got pace to burn and also has age on his side so he could come good after a full pres season with us and training at the amazing Carrington!!

Desperation!!