Next signing?
1 1

269 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Warbster said:

Very sad story but what on earth has it got to do with Bury FC signing a second-generation Turkish footballer, who was born some 20 years after the event you describe?

All I've said is I'm not sure I would be able to go to Gigg whilst he plays for us as I feel that help funding his wages be against what I believe.

50 minutes ago, shaker90 said:

All I've said is I'm not sure I would be able to go to Gigg whilst he plays for us as I feel that help funding his wages be against what I believe.

Sam - if you can, try to separate the previous Turkish Government (and probably the present one)/soldiers, to the normal Turkish person. 

For example, I know a Turkish lady who is one of the most caring and kindest human beings I've ever known. 

I know it's something very close to your heart though...so my last words on the matter.

Chin up mate. 

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

5 minutes ago, R11 BFC said:

Sam - if you can, try to separate the previous Turkish Government (and probably the present one)/soldiers, to the normal Turkish person. 

For example, I know a Turkish lady who is one of the most caring and kindest human beings I've ever known. 

I know it's something very close to your heart though...so my last words on the matter.

Chin up mate. 

Yeah I'm not going to say anything else on this now as I don't think some understand how close and raw the whole situation is at times especially when your family now live so close to the border.

As I say I'm sorry to anyone who felt offended by my remarks, but I'm not sorry for how I feel about this.

Edited by shaker90
1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, shaker90 said:

May be look from a different perspective. He comes to the club, improves your club, enhances your experience and help provides you with a better life experience, still in the knowledge what happened was nothing to do with him or his family and could also be perceived as a victim of a dictatorial regime purely by association that somehow you perversely hold him accountable for, he kicks a round ball over grass for a living. Then for you to stop watching a team that sometimes brings you enjoyment compound's the sadness of the situation, despite how you feel you know what's right and you know what's wrong.

Edited by MrBistow
3 people like this

I used to work with a Greek Cypriot at the V+A Museum in the 80s. He was a lovely man but became increasingly insular as his conversation stopper was he was earning enough cash so he could go back to his island and kick the Turks out. In the end he stayed in Britain as he finally understood all the pent up hatred was destroying him. Anyone who has visited Greek ports will have noticed the the destination maps dripping blood red from the Turkish part of Cyprus. We all have family history that could grind us down but again we have to let it go. Two generations of my partner's family were driven to despair by what Maggie did to the mining industry but we don't boycott the club because we have Tories in our ranks. Good job too as a very large percentage of footballers as a whole will have an affinity to that party.

2 people like this

Can understand your hostility (I was actually in Cyprus when the Turks invaded) but probably the best example was set by the Chief Rabbi of Manchester when Bert Trautmann first started playing for City.  He was, initially, subject to a lot of abuse from the fans and in particular from the Jewish Community until the Chief Rabbi of Manchester came out in the MEN and said he 'was just one man and not responsible for his countries actions'

Eventually of course he became the legend that he was

6 people like this

Kazim Richards confirmed.😙

1 person likes this

3 hours ago, postcorvus said:

I used to work with a Greek Cypriot at the V+A Museum in the 80s. He was a lovely man but became increasingly insular as his conversation stopper was he was earning enough cash so he could go back to his island and kick the Turks out. In the end he stayed in Britain as he finally understood all the pent up hatred was destroying him. Anyone who has visited Greek ports will have noticed the the destination maps dripping blood red from the Turkish part of Cyprus. We all have family history that could grind us down but again we have to let it go. Two generations of my partner's family were driven to despair by what Maggie did to the mining industry but we don't boycott the club because we have Tories in our ranks. Good job too as a very large percentage of footballers as a whole will have an affinity to that party.

We know very little (thankfully) about what political party affiliations footballers have. Offhand I can only think of 3 who have said anything openly , Brian Clough, Alex Ferguson and Gary Lineker, all 3 being left wing despite (the last 2) doing their best to dodge paying their fair share of income tax. 

1 person likes this

13 hours ago, 1903 said:

That was 43 years ago, it didn't take that long for Britain and Germany to get pally after WW2.

Germany isn't still occupying France, Poland, Belgium........

2 people like this

Perhaps some of our fringe players will now go to Swindon?

3 hours ago, Mg75 said:

Kazim Richards confirmed.😙

Cheeky!

Fingers crossed we don't sign anyone from the Ottoman Empire.

1 person likes this

Looks like Wayne Rooney might be available.  

Surely we should go all out to sign him as he would add thousands to the crowd, help to sell loads of replica tops etc.  He doesn't really need the money, so he would probably agree to minimal wages to join us and continue to be able to use Carrington.  He would single-handedly guarantee us promotion to the Championship and then the Premier League.  

Now that would be a statement signing. 

His facial features could be used to promote 'Bury FC ' Toby jugs ...could sell thousands!!

Jack Macreth gone to Wrexham

13 minutes ago, 1903 said:

Jack Macreth gone to Wrexham

He must have been a poor trainer because he did nothing wrong in his game time at all.

Good decision. Even in the little game time he had, you could see he lacked something. That bit of control, that ability to cut it at this level. He has pace and is direct, but it isn't enough unfortunately if we want to keep progressing.

3 people like this

Guessing he wasn't up to it as mentioned earlier. He wasn't given much of a chance but to send him out on loan when we were in desperate need of a player with pace that could beat a man, showed he wasn't wanted at Bury. 

Now we are in the need for some pace/flair. An update on the progress of Zeli would be useful. 

Cameron Burgess to scunny, thought we would have nailed him down. We must have had the nod but can't understand why we didn't snap him up.

I thought the only obstacle in us signing Burgess would be a reluctantance to re-locate up north. But by moving to Scunthorpe, he has put that theory to bed quite dramatically!

1 person likes this

9 minutes ago, Shakermav said:

I thought the only obstacle in us signing Burgess would be a reluctantance to re-locate up north. But by moving to Scunthorpe, he has put that theory to bed quite dramatically!

We've missed out big time there. Did he not like Carrington?

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

4 minutes ago, Woodzo's Dad said:

We've missed out big time there. Did he not like Carrington?

HA!  Or the project sold by the Manager and Chairman?

The other possibility of course is that Clark thinks our new Southend signing is a better/cheaper option? 

Edited by LondonWhite