Our best and worst pre seasons

23 posts in this topic

Regardless of the on going questions on the finances, it is fair to say we have had an eventful pre season, now I ask you which pre season has been the best and which has been the worst? Which one was it that made you feel positive about the new season, did we have some strong performances in pre season, did we make some exciting signings? 

Or was it the opposite, did we sign nothing but duds, did we lose our best players or did we perform badly in pre season? Most importantly the prediction from pre season, did it end up being correct?

?

The worst for me has to be either the summer of 2003 or the summer of 2005.

Summer 2003 - After a valiant effort to make the playoffs the previous season I sincerely hoped that we would keep our team together for another crack at the playoffs. Deep down however I knew such an attempt would be unlikely.

Our main players the previous season (IMO) had been John Newby, George Clegg, Michael Nelson, Jamie Stuart and Chris Billy. Nelson in particular had been a real rock at the back who had helped guide us towards the playoffs. On the eve of the season, in the midst of a sweltering heatwave it was hard to be remotely enthusiastic.

Nelson had been sold for a paltry 70k

Jamie Stuart, Newby and Billy had all left on free transfers, Nelson had been sold for a paltry 70k and as I recall Clegg was injured.

Our summer signings had hardly been inspiring - Greg Strong on loan from Hull, a team in our division. Joe o'Neil a centre forward on loan from PNE and Lee Duxbury, a player who Preece described as the 'biggest signing' he had ever made.

Am I missing any other signings?

Season itself was just a damp squib, a poor start, then we pulled things together with a decent run of results then went on a massive losing streak. Out of all cups in round one and in December Preece was sacked. He then returned with rock bottom Carlisle to play and beat us at Gigg Lane. New year and our new manager Barrow, (clearly the cheapest option available) made a couple of decent signings and we managed to get ourselves up to mid table. Never in any trouble of going up or going down. Tbf, compared with the next four seasons this one would have seemed like a huge success in comparison.xD

Summer 2005 - I had an awful feeling about this one and it proved to be hugely justified. We had gone from playoff hopefuls to relegation fodder in second half of 2004/2005. We lost our best striker in Nugent and best defender in Swailes in the January. Despite some scary moments between Feb and March we had pulled over the line without too much fuss. But come the summer of 2005 things looked worse. Our keeper Glyn Garner left on a free, Kazim-Richards one we were all excited about seeing as a first team regular was sold to Brighton and Chris Porter's contract expired, Terry Dunfield, an ever present from the last few seasons had also left. There may well be others who departed but I can't remember them.

To replace Garner Barrow signed Neil Edwards, a tiny 35 year old goalkeeper who had just been released by Rochdale. Jake Sedgemore on a three month contract who had been released by Shrewsbury, a team that had finished 22nd in league two the previous season. Then there was Jon Hardiker signed after being released by Stockport County, a team who had just joined us in league two having finished rock bottom of league one the previous season. Up front to replace Porter and Kazim Richards we had Stuart Barlow and Allan Smart, two 35 year old strikers with a combined age, (if memory serves me correctly), of 70.

The season started badly, and we were rock bottom after drawing with Boston United 1-1 early in September with just one win to a our name. Just 1900 fans attended that game, on a Saturday afternoon. Barrow went, in came Casper, he blooded some kids and results improved, but things still went to the last day for us to stay up.

I don't think my foreboding had ever been more correct than that summer, there was no life in the club what so ever it seemed, and I had zero enthusiasm when I went to Gigg Lane.

Alas it would be a further two more summers before any genuine optimism returned to me going into a new season.

1 person likes this

Years and years ago...before you were born Barry! We won every pre season friendly, so full of hope...i think we won our first league game after about 10 matches!!! >:(

2 minutes ago, R11 BFC said:

Years and years ago...before you were born Barry! We won every pre season friendly, so full of hope...i think we won our first league game after about 10 matches!!! >:(

Even though I wasn't there, our performance in the isle of man in 1996 gave me a really good feeling about the upcoming season. I remember checking teletext and seeing we had beaten the isle of man 8-0, then a day or two later we beat Wrexham 1-0 and then lost 1-0 against first division WBA. I wasn't quite right though as I called 6th or 7th not champions. :)

On 2017-6-9 at 12:40, Barry P said:

The worst for me has to be either the summer of 2003 or the summer of 2005.

Summer 2003 - After a valiant effort to make the playoffs the previous season I sincerely hoped that we would keep our team together for another crack at the playoffs. Deep down however I knew such an attempt would be unlikely.

Our main players the previous season (IMO) had been John Newby, George Clegg, Michael Nelson, Jamie Stuart and Chris Billy. Nelson in particular had been a real rock at the back who had helped guide us towards the playoffs. On the eve of the season, in the midst of a sweltering heatwave it was hard to be remotely enthusiastic.

Nelson had been sold for a paltry 70k

Jamie Stuart, Newby and Billy had all left on free transfers, Nelson had been sold for a paltry 70k and as I recall Clegg was injured.

Our summer signings had hardly been inspiring - Greg Strong on loan from Hull, a team in our division. Joe o'Neil a centre forward on loan from PNE and Lee Duxbury, a player who Preece described as the 'biggest signing' he had ever made.

Am I missing any other signings?

Season itself was just a damp squib, a poor start, then we pulled things together with a decent run of results then went on a massive losing streak. Out of all cups in round one and in December Preece was sacked. He then returned with rock bottom Carlisle to play and beat us at Gigg Lane. New year and our new manager Barrow, (clearly the cheapest option available) made a couple of decent signings and we managed to get ourselves up to mid table. Never in any trouble of going up or going down. Tbf, compared with the next four seasons this one would have seemed like a huge success in comparison.xD

Summer 2005 - I had an awful feeling about this one and it proved to be hugely justified. We had gone from playoff hopefuls to relegation fodder in second half of 2004/2005. We lost our best striker in Nugent and best defender in Swailes in the January. Despite some scary moments between Feb and March we had pulled over the line without too much fuss. But come the summer of 2005 things looked worse. Our keeper Glyn Garner left on a free, Kazim-Richards one we were all excited about seeing as a first team regular was sold to Brighton and Chris Porter's contract expired, Terry Dunfield, an ever present from the last few seasons had also left. There may well be others who departed but I can't remember them.

To replace Garner Barrow signed Neil Edwards, a tiny 35 year old goalkeeper who had just been released by Rochdale. Jake Sedgemore on a three month contract who had been released by Shrewsbury, a team that had finished 22nd in league two the previous season. Then there was Jon Hardiker signed after being released by Stockport County, a team who had just joined us in league two having finished rock bottom of league one the previous season. Up front to replace Porter and Kazim Richards we had Stuart Barlow and Allan Smart, two 35 year old strikers with a combined age, (if memory serves me correctly), of 70.

The season started badly, and we were rock bottom after drawing with Boston United 1-1 early in September with just one win to a our name. Just 1900 fans attended that game, on a Saturday afternoon. Barrow went, in came Casper, he blooded some kids and results improved, but things still went to the last day for us to stay up.

I don't think my foreboding had ever been more correct than that summer, there was no life in the club what so ever it seemed, and I had zero enthusiasm when I went to Gigg Lane.

Alas it would be a further two more summers before any genuine optimism returned to me going into a new season.

and people still whine about Stewie....!!

The one in the mid 80s when we won the Lancs Manx Cup or whatever it was called with Nigel Greenwood bagging goals galore!

Summer of 2001 I said within 10 minutes of the opening friendly at Raccy Borough that we would go down that season. Called it.

Summers of 2012 and 2013 were utterly disastrous.

I seem to remember enjoying pre-season 2010. Didn't we beat Leeds 4-0?

94/95 was more up than down as we beat the Class of '92 4-0 and a strong Burnley side 2-1, but it was tempered by losing 2-0 at Dale and 1-0 at Blackpool in the Lancashire Cup final. The seeds were sown - or rather churned up - for a lot of future pitch trouble after the Lacrosse World Cup too.

Still, glory days of seeing on Ceefax that we'd re-signed Kevin Hulme from Doncaster for £42,500 just before the season started. I think I used my club/McDonalds card every week that summer to get a Big Mac and fries for £1.99.

2 people like this

1 hour ago, James said:

94/95 was more up than down as we beat the Class of '92 4-0 and a strong Burnley side 2-1, but it was tempered by losing 2-0 at Dale and 1-0 at Blackpool in the Lancashire Cup final. The seeds were sown - or rather churned up - for a lot of future pitch trouble after the Lacrosse World Cup too.

Still, glory days of seeing on Ceefax that we'd re-signed Kevin Hulme from Doncaster for £42,500 just before the season started. I think I used my club/McDonalds card every week that summer to get a Big Mac and fries for £1.99.

Ceefax..... where you'd spot a Bury reference just as the page changed and then you'd have to wait what felt like ten minutes as it flicked through 12 pages of other football league news 😀

4 people like this

33 minutes ago, ronky said:

Ceefax..... where you'd spot a Bury reference just as the page changed and then you'd have to wait what felt like ten minutes as it flicked through 12 pages of other football league news 😀

they used to do a local cricket league round up and we'd invariably be on about page 67 out of about 90. Absolute agony trying to find out rival results if it first loaded at p70 or wherever, which it always did

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

The Anglo - Scottish Cup Group matches provided some memorable and properly competitive pre-season games. Two examples:

38105.jpg[/i

mg]

s-l225.jpg[/img]

Edited by DJAsh

The BBC viddy printer was great entertainment..will never forget giving up on Northampton at Shrewsbury 2-0 down at half time 92/93 season..Shrewsbury 2 Northampton 3 at the finish and the best feeling ever!

59 minutes ago, Mg75 said:

The BBC viddy printer was great entertainment..will never forget giving up on Northampton at Shrewsbury 2-0 down at half time 92/93 season..Shrewsbury 2 Northampton 3 at the finish and the best feeling ever!

It was even better at the game! 

1 person likes this

Many moons ago, but Joe Jakob being presented with the Lancs Cup, which dwarfed him., was memorable.

Last seasons was poor. No games of major interest and all away.

2 people like this

1 hour ago, seasideshaker said:

You were one of the many that went then? I've seen highlights on you tube.Quite a game and some awful defensive errors by Shrewsbury.The emotion must've been special.

41 minutes ago, morex said:

Many moons ago, but Joe Jakob being presented with the Lancs Cup, which dwarfed him., was memorable.

Last seasons was poor. No games of major interest and all away.

IMG_0017.jpg

2 people like this

1 hour ago, Mg75 said:

You were one of the many that went then? I've seen highlights on you tube.Quite a game and some awful defensive errors by Shrewsbury.The emotion must've been special.

I certainly was! Shrews 2 up at half time, we were getting abuse from the Northampton fans, we said when Shrews score their third we'd be off quick sharp. Fast forward 45 mins and we're celebrating on the pitch with the Northampton fans, swapping scarves like long list buddies. A great but surreal day!! 

On 2017-6-12 at 14:28, James said:

What was the crowd like for the Dale game? Odd question I know but the highlights aren't on the Bury vid. Really wish they'd bring back the Lancashire Cup though, it looked A-game. 

Remember going to Dale for a pre season friendly in 1997 which we won 3-1. The Dale fans were taking the game ridiculously seriously, our fans and players really weren't. Stan even put a trial goalkeeper on near the end as we comfortably saw the game out. 

23 hours ago, Barry P said:

What was the crowd like for the Dale game? Odd question I know but the highlights aren't on the Bury vid. Really wish they'd bring back the Lancashire Cup though, it looked A-game. 

Remember going to Dale for a pre season friendly in 1997 which we won 3-1. The Dale fans were taking the game ridiculously seriously, our fans and players really weren't. Stan even put a trial goalkeeper on near the end as we comfortably saw the game out. 

Spike missing that penalty for Dale was awesome. Hero.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

4 hours ago, BarryStrange said:

Spike missing that penalty for Dale was awesome. Hero.

Aye it was funny. As I recall 1997 was the Barrow era for Dale, little did we know that his talk neckless image would be haunting out dugout as manager just six years down the line. 

Edited by Barry P

On 12/06/2017 at 18:11, seasideshaker said:

Worst football violence I've ever seen that day.  It was kicking off all over the place before the game.  Swift exit after the game and a few celebratories in The Swan with two Necks on the way home.

24 minutes ago, Efng said:

Worst football violence I've ever seen that day.  It was kicking off all over the place before the game.  Swift exit after the game and a few celebratories in The Swan with two Necks on the way home.

Oddly, I was at Motherwell v.Falkirk on the same day.  I decided to do the game to add to my tally of Scottish grounds.  I heard the Shrewsbury result at Motherwell railway station.

Best preseason for me was the Isle of Man tournament in 1987.  A great week which included a singalong on the ferry; "Bury FC On Tour" t-shirts; joining the Oldham fans as they served themselves in a pub in Douglas; some football.

19 hours ago, RADCLIFFE LOYAL said:

Oddly, I was at Motherwell v.Falkirk on the same day.  I decided to do the game to add to my tally of Scottish grounds.  I heard the Shrewsbury result at Motherwell railway station.

Best preseason for me was the Isle of Man tournament in 1987.  A great week which included a singalong on the ferry; "Bury FC On Tour" t-shirts; joining the Oldham fans as they served themselves in a pub in Douglas; some football.

What that the one where the final was played over 3 legs...??

2 people like this