Summer Signings Verdict
1 1

48 posts in this topic

Just a note of caution. This current squad on paper is as good as the Blades last season and yet how many years did it take them to get promoted. Think we will go up anyway because even if we finish seventh we will merge with one of the two automatic teams.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, lucasoneil said:

Its poo or bust! I well and truly believe this team is good enough for top 6 easy! will it happen is another question...

Wage bill cut so how's it poo or bust? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, postcorvus said:

Just a note of caution. This current squad on paper is as good as the Blades last season and yet how many years did it take them to get promoted. Think we will go up anyway because even if we finish seventh we will merge with one of the two automatic teams.

I believe that the Wilder appointment was the major factor last season that made the difference over their previous attempts.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All we need now is for Ben Toner to referee all our games. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My head has been spinning with all of the, high quality, signings coming so fast. When O'Shea was confirmed yesterday though I thought back to the posts by our Scottish friends at the time of LC's arrival. They warned that he would make an insane amount of signings without necessarily having a plan of what to do with them. I hope that, as this is business done early, he will have time to shape a squad. Also, I note that no one seems to now expect Vaughn to leave. Yes, we have new toys but if he stays then that will be the best transfer business Bury has ever done.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Willyklein said:

My head has been spinning with all of the, high quality, signings coming so fast. When O'Shea was confirmed yesterday though I thought back to the posts by our Scottish friends at the time of LC's arrival. They warned that he would make an insane amount of signings without necessarily having a plan of what to do with them. I hope that, as this is business done early, he will have time to shape a squad. Also, I note that no one seems to now expect Vaughn to leave. Yes, we have new toys but if he stays then that will be the best transfer business Bury has ever done.

What has impressed me so far about the signings is not just the quality of the signings but the fact we have a balanced squad! Something that makes me think that there is a plan in place! I agree Vaughan would be the best signing of the summer if we can get him to extend his contract. However I think we need to realise that if we hadn't made all these quality signings we would not have had a chance of keeping hold of Vaughan. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, giggabyte said:

All we need now is for Ben Toner to referee all our games. 

Behave, we have Dawson for that!!

 

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Keithh said:

Behave, we have Dawson for that!!

 

I can see it now-Dawson picking up cards galore for chatting to ref!   Would be just our luck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, coolcat said:

I can see it now-Dawson picking up cards galore for chatting to ref!   Would be just our luck.

Is talking to yourself a bookable offence 🤔?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have signed some good players, however it is teams, not players that get promoted or win titles.

I've not studied other teams' signings in our division, but even if we have the best squad promotion is not assured.

The key is managing the players, no doubt if we do go up then there will be claims that any manager could get the team promoted (as Flicker had contend with) bit it is certainly not a given that having great players = having a winning team.

The target has to be to be in the promotion slots after 46 games, not after ten nor to panic if we're not there after ten! 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

13 hours ago, MrBistow said:

Playing 7 would be well cocky but I like it,  just bring on the other 4 if needed. We are bury, well do what we want !!

More the question . How many of last seasons squad will start the new season .

Murphy 

Cameron 

Tutte 

Mayor 

Zeli 

Leigh 

Vaughan 

Head scratcher for LC 

Edited by shakerite66

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Murphy

Natcam? If fit

leigh and Jonah if playing as wing backs

tutte if there is an injury to Reilly or Dawson 

mayor or Zeli as the other winger to O'Shea 

vaughan 

so as many as 8 and as little as 2 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, shakerite66 said:

More the question . How many of last seasons squad will start the new season .

Murphy 

Cameron 

Tutte 

Mayor 

Zeli 

Leigh 

Vaughan 

Head scratcher for LC 

Maximum 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Willyklein said:

My head has been spinning with all of the, high quality, signings coming so fast. When O'Shea was confirmed yesterday though I thought back to the posts by our Scottish friends at the time of LC's arrival. They warned that he would make an insane amount of signings without necessarily having a plan of what to do with them. I hope that, as this is business done early, he will have time to shape a squad. Also, I note that no one seems to now expect Vaughn to leave. Yes, we have new toys but if he stays then that will be the best transfer business Bury has ever done.

I still expect him to leave despite the rhetoric contrary to that from the club. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Spee said:

I still expect him to leave despite the rhetoric contrary to that from the club. 

May be the deal has been done, may be were bringing in all these signings in the knowledge were going to get a big fat wedge for Vaughan whilst we ramp up season ticket interest. Then at the last minute we do the Vaughan deal. But I don't expect this to happen as we have no reported interest in a replacement and Mr Day wants his 5 yr plan completing. So if he does go he will go for a kings ransom and we would be then able to get an adequate replacement.  So either way not a championship deal breaker...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Adam Thompson on the bench again for NI away in Azerbaijan. Looks like we'll be losing him when there are international games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, RNaj1 said:

Adam Thompson on the bench again for NI away in Azerbaijan. Looks like we'll be losing him when there are international games.

Just preparation for Rochdale away ..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

makes you wonder if we would have any of these players if Gillingham had scored that penalty at Northampton and Port Vale converted one of their several late chances on the last day.  Fine lines and all that....

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/06/2017 at 13:53, ronky said:

We have signed some good players, however it is teams, not players that get promoted or win titles.

I've not studied other teams' signings in our division, but even if we have the best squad promotion is not assured.

The key is managing the players, no doubt if we do go up then there will be claims that any manager could get the team promoted (as Flicker had contend with) bit it is certainly not a given that having great players = having a winning team.

The target has to be to be in the promotion slots after 46 games, not after ten nor to panic if we're not there after ten! 

Could not agree more with this - the dual promotion teams of 95-97 were hardly blessed with "stars" (a great goalkeeper and two superb central defenders apart) and it was team effort, sheer will and guts that got us the promotions. The squad we have now would - on paper - destroy them, but I suspect the reality would be far closer (allowing for a time machine one way or the other to see it happen).

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No stars Dr P? We had a midfielder with 3 lungs!

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Carleton said:

No stars Dr P? We had a midfielder with 3 lungs!

Lenny was a medical freak! Not to mention we had players with effortlessly cool nicknames like Paul "Paul" Butler and Nick "Patio" Daws.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Joe Murphy - We saw last season how much of a calming influence he was. Clean sheets arrived despite him not making any memorable saves. Solid goalkeeper. Wise to give a 1 year deal also due to his age. Yes goalkeepers can go on for longer, but we don't know where we will be in a years time.

Phil Edwards - Another solid signings. He isn't the bombing forward full back we expect these days but he will add something to an area we have suffered with over recent years. Also can play as a centre back despite his lack of height so could be used in a 3.

Joe Skarz - Surprise signing. Surely only brought in as back up. Wasn't the greatest left back we have ever had but he will provide competition for Leigh who at the start of the season had no competition and that showed once the loanee who never played was brought in. Can cover CB also, again in a 3.

Adam Thompson - Great centre back at this level. In the Northern Ireland squad currently. Southend fans were furious he left them for us. Still only young too so a sell on fee is a probability. Him and Cameron as centre backs will be one of the best pairings in the league.

Eoghan O'Connell - Another centre back but with potential this time. I think he will have to sit on the bench to start with due to the quality of the 2 other centres. Will be first choice (currently) in a back 3 but may get frustrated at a lack of game time.

Stephen Dawson - We all know what Dawson is about. He is a leader, he is an annoying little rat who is in the referees ear all game, but its what we need. He will play a massive part this season, something we have missed since.. well.. Dawson.

Callum Reilly - I think he will rotate with Tutte next to Dawson. Seems the busy midfielder like Tutte but with a higher level experience. Can play in a number of positions. Hopefully it'll work out for him.

Jay O'Shea - Cracking signing, has torn us apart numerous times in the past. Very Mayor like. Having both players in the first 11 is a must IMO. Mayor has been double marked in the past couple of seasons but both players cannot be double marked, so it'll free one of them up.

Jermaine Beckford - Journeyman striker. Has goals in him, but is he here for one last pay day? Hope he bangs in 20 goals, but I can see this signing falling into the Pennant/Healy group.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sittingonthefence said:

Joe Murphy - We saw last season how much of a calming influence he was. Clean sheets arrived despite him not making any memorable saves. Solid goalkeeper. Wise to give a 1 year deal also due to his age. Yes goalkeepers can go on for longer, but we don't know where we will be in a years time.

Phil Edwards - Another solid signings. He isn't the bombing forward full back we expect these days but he will add something to an area we have suffered with over recent years. Also can play as a centre back despite his lack of height so could be used in a 3.

Joe Skarz - Surprise signing. Surely only brought in as back up. Wasn't the greatest left back we have ever had but he will provide competition for Leigh who at the start of the season had no competition and that showed once the loanee who never played was brought in. Can cover CB also, again in a 3.

Adam Thompson - Great centre back at this level. In the Northern Ireland squad currently. Southend fans were furious he left them for us. Still only young too so a sell on fee is a probability. Him and Cameron as centre backs will be one of the best pairings in the league.

Eoghan O'Connell - Another centre back but with potential this time. I think he will have to sit on the bench to start with due to the quality of the 2 other centres. Will be first choice (currently) in a back 3 but may get frustrated at a lack of game time.

Stephen Dawson - We all know what Dawson is about. He is a leader, he is an annoying little rat who is in the referees ear all game, but its what we need. He will play a massive part this season, something we have missed since.. well.. Dawson.

Callum Reilly - I think he will rotate with Tutte next to Dawson. Seems the busy midfielder like Tutte but with a higher level experience. Can play in a number of positions. Hopefully it'll work out for him.

Jay O'Shea - Cracking signing, has torn us apart numerous times in the past. Very Mayor like. Having both players in the first 11 is a must IMO. Mayor has been double marked in the past couple of seasons but both players cannot be double marked, so it'll free one of them up.

Jermaine Beckford - Journeyman striker. Has goals in him, but is he here for one last pay day? Hope he bangs in 20 goals, but I can see this signing falling into the Pennant/Healy group.

excellent!

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
1 1