New Fan
1 1

35 posts in this topic

Hello All, 

Apologies if there is somewhere else I am meant to post this. I just wanted to introduce myself. I have relocated to Bury for work and expect to live here with my family for a number of years. Having moved up from London with my wife and two young sons I decided that I should get in to following our local team up here so my boys can go and watch their team live when they want to. (I realise this is the worst sin imaginable to some fans... but in the end I most enjoyed watching football in the flesh with my dad and I don't want the boys reduced to watching Sky Sports instead)

I have tried to learn about the club and managed to go and see a few games at the end of last season and although I will inevitably miss a lot of games I want to get a season ticket particularly because from what i read on here; the club are in a bit of financial difficulty. 

I have tried looking for any books on the history of the club but not found any yet. Do they exist? Any other advice for a new fan?

3 people like this

For strong and stable- Rochdale would be a better bet. However  if a rollercoaster ride is needed we fit the bill.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

24 minutes ago, BurgerBob said:

Hello All, 

Apologies if there is somewhere else I am meant to post this. I just wanted to introduce myself. I have relocated to Bury for work and expect to live here with my family for a number of years. Having moved up from London with my wife and two young sons I decided that I should get in to following our local team up here so my boys can go and watch their team live when they want to. (I realise this is the worst sin imaginable to some fans... but in the end I most enjoyed watching football in the flesh with my dad and I don't want the boys reduced to watching Sky Sports instead)

I have tried to learn about the club and managed to go and see a few games at the end of last season and although I will inevitably miss a lot of games I want to get a season ticket particularly because from what i read on here; the club are in a bit of financial difficulty. 

I have tried looking for any books on the history of the club but not found any yet. Do they exist? Any other advice for a new fan?

I'd highly recommend "Bury FC 1985-1999 The Official History" by Peter Cullen.  It's extremely comprehensive with a detailed review of each season and all the usual stats you'd expect though obviously doesn't cover the last 17 years.   Don't know where you can get a copy from but maybe Bury Library, emailing the club or searching online? 

This too comes highly recommended:

http://www.theforgottenfifteen.co.uk/

It's a fascinating insight into a promotion season, still vivid in the memory of many fans. 

Edited by surrey__exile
3 people like this

I'd concentrate on this coming season, its history in the making. For your kids to say ' I was there' will be priceless. Lots of local derbies so if you can take them to a few away matches the experience and atmosphere will be even better ( I know that's hard to believe it could be better ).. :D

1 person likes this

We've been in a bit of financial difficulty since 1885 my friend. 

Yes read Peter Cullen's book if you can get hold of a copy. As stated above it only goes up to 1999, so if I can précis the last 17 years, we very nearly went bust twice but we are still here. We fans are divided into happy clappy enjoy- the-riders (or blinkered ostriches depending on which side you fall) on the one hand, or "we're doomed" merchants on the other. Welcome aboard, you have joined us ahead of a very interesting season. 

44 minutes ago, surrey__exile said:

I'd highly recommend "Bury FC 1985-1999 The Official History" by Peter Cullen.  It's extremely comprehensive with a detailed review of each season and all the usual stats you'd expect though obviously doesn't cover the last 17 years.   Don't know where you can get a copy from but maybe Bury Library, emailing the club or searching online? 

This too comes highly recommended:

http://www.theforgottenfifteen.co.uk/

It's a fascinating insight into a promotion season, still vivid in the memory of many fans. 

That's 1885 to 1999!!

1 person likes this

The Shakers History forum on this board would be a good starting point, just delve your way through that.

Posted (edited)

There's also a good section about Bury in 'Manchester - A Football History' by Gary James.  The book devotes itself to all clubs past and present in 'Greater Manchester', not just 'the big two'  and Bury FC's history is still covered in depth being one of the area's oldest clubs.  It's a few years old but I would still recommend it.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Manchester-A-Football-History-James-Gary-Hardback-Book-The-Cheap-Fast-Free-/142346816610?hash=item2124880c62:g:1kcAAOSwdI9Y8P1I

Edited by myrabury

Welcome to our happy band of Shakers. You will be joining this friendly club at a time when we seem to have one of the best squad we have had for many years with some great local derbies to look forward to.

3 people like this

All really helpful, thanks very much. I will take a look at the links above. 

I'm a little more sceptical than many on this fine board , and seeings as we've been duped before on here and it didn't take long before you mentioned "Financial difficulties ' would you for arguments get a family member (A sister is normally around) to take a single photograph of both your hands clearly showing every digit.

Most appreciated

Dubious 

3 people like this

36 minutes ago, shakerite66 said:

I'm a little more sceptical than many on this fine board , and seeings as we've been duped before on here and it didn't take long before you mentioned "Financial difficulties ' would you for arguments get a family member (A sister is normally around) to take a single photograph of both your hands clearly showing every digit.

Most appreciated

Dubious 

Yes it did cross my mind too! But I fought to keep my natural scepticism back this time. 

1 person likes this

47 minutes ago, shakerite66 said:

Most appreciated

Dubious 

as soon as he asked for 'books on our history' it was a guaranteed wind up for me

Posted (edited)

If  all these supposed 'new fans here' of the last three years actually existed we would be playing to capacity crowds each week. On the other side I do have a small matchbox if he is interested in Rochdale's history.

Edited by postcorvus
1 person likes this

May I be the first to also recommend the Samaritans.

I am a grown man with two children.... I miss the days when I might have had the time to consider going online winding people up. What little free time I have managed to cling on to is a little more valuable to me than that!

6 people like this

30 minutes ago, BurgerBob said:

I am a grown man with two children.... I miss the days when I might have had the time to consider going online winding people up. What little free time I have managed to cling on to is a little more valuable to me than that!

I'm a grown man with 2 children too, and I like nothing more than a good wind up ;) you're most welcome here.

Posted (edited)

Moved up from London for work, you're not Robert Largan are you?

Oh no you can't be as he's speeding down the M6 to get back home to his house in London!

Edited by ronky
2 people like this

You should change your name to 'PieBob' to blend in.

1 person likes this

Welcome Bob - we need more supporters, so you and your lads will be more than welcome. There's another book coming out sometime in the future btw:

Oh...and there's a great burger bar just outside the ground. ;o)

Bob a grown man with two children whose time is valuable. You are not part of those hard working families who are fleeing the Corbinistas.

49 minutes ago, R11 BFC said:

Welcome Bob - we need more supporters, so you and your lads will be more than welcome. There's another book coming out sometime in the future btw:

Oh...and there's a great burger bar just outside the ground. ;o)

Cheers Andy. No pressure, then.

1 person likes this

31 minutes ago, postcorvus said:

Bob a grown man with two children whose time is valuable. You are not part of those hard working families who are fleeing the Corbinistas.

Haha. You'll note I never claimed I was hard working- just didn't have the time to be an internet troll! ;)

41 minutes ago, James said:

Cheers Andy. No pressure, then.

That's why i said, sometime in the future and not near future. ;o)