Feedback Wanted
1 1

106 posts in this topic

The new site is awful on the mobile, much better before. It needs a new layout for the mobile site.

Can't see it being an age thing as I'm 18 and not a fan of the new site either, it's just really slow and difficult to navigate around. The layout looks much better and I'm guessing the site would be good if the problems with it were sorted, but for now I prefer the old site.

Think thats the point really. Looks a bit better and cleaner but programmed very poorly. Happy-ish with layout its the navigation that is dire. If apple brought out this they would go bust.

there is still no mobile option either. trying to navigate round that on my phone is just no fun

impossible for me, my phone doesnt show all of that stupid pop-up 'enter here' thing and so i cant click enter!

Our wonderful web page also states that the next match is Boro at home.

Is it just me that prefers the old website. The new one is slow and looks old fashioned.

Is it just me that prefers the old website. The new one is slow and looks old fashioned.

No, it's not just you!

No, it's not just you!

I think it could be the only thing the members of this board have ever agreed on.

I think it could be the only thing the members of this board have ever agreed on.

Give it time, there's bound to be someone.

We reap what we sow. We clearly complained so much last year that the providers felt if there was nothing to recommend on the new site we could moan even more.

Find the whole thing too slow. It was on the old site anyway taking too long to get past the opening page because there was too much content to download. We do not all have superhighway broadband capability.

Worst of all was trying to get on Shakers player . Got an unsolicited phone call when at work and I didnt like this approach at all so I wont be renewing subscribing . Quality on match days was dissappointing with at least 2 games failing to deliver any commentary. Prefer going to the matches (away) and then I can experience poor quality live but then there is the occasional joy to behold which you can never get on the computer

Video quality seems to be very poor on Player at the moment....Very "stuttery".

It's not my connection, as I can watch HD YouTube content and other video content with no issues at all....but the Player content (especially the 'Boro highlights) are virtually unwatchable.......like watching channel 5 before digital TV....very poor quality picture.

Edited by grewer9

Generally just a lot of moaning about nothing on this thread, the website is fine. It isn't 'slow' or anything similar, which as a web professional is usually the first complaint I bin. 'I prefer the old one' doesn't help anyone, except to demoralise those that are working (in this case with their hands tied by the FL) to improve it. The user experience in general is poor at the moment though, and this needs addressing urgently. Things like have to click the 'Enter Bury Football Club' pop-over to actually enter the website will drive visiters away faster than you can imagine; we knew full well when typing www.buryfc.co.uk that we were going to be entering the Bury website, so the stupid confirmation of this fact is just frustrating - it is very clearly just an excuse to beat users around the head with more advertisements.

In many articles the HTML is leaking through - especially on hotlinks. Things like...

"The performance has given us a good basis to work on for the Brentford" target="_blank">Brentford game next weekend now"

taken from http://www.buryfc.co.uk/news/article/a-good-basis-to-work-on-307606.aspx for example

Still using multiple fixed width fonts which look terrible; serif are an extremely unpopular typeface choice - just look at any major website and not a single one will feature Courier. It is only ever used where it's necessary to have a fixed width font - code listings for example, so that they visually align properly. Using it on a page like this is just the designer being cliched, and thinking it makes things 'different'. It does. In a bad way.

The huge advertisements inside the navigation menu are just obnoxious.

Taking a single page as an example of deeper analysis, again it's really just a case of wasted real estate. http://www.buryfc.co.uk/news/ i'm looking at from here on.

Featured Article is presented in it's own frame, yet the huge 'date' text takes up at least a 5th of the frame.... insane - combined with the title font that takes up an additional 3rd of the frame, this means that the actual 'featured' content only gets around 8 more words (in this case 'with a stunning fightback after being 2-0 down.') over it's (duplicated!!!) non-featured alternate. Frankly it looks like the designer was trying to pad, and fill out space.

Latest News _IS_ just padding, it is in prime 'advertisement' space, and yet duplicates (for the 3rd time) the very same articles. Articles are chronologically sorted in the main news frame, so they are by definition 'Latest News' anyway.

Scrolling down the page leads to a huge 'tower' sized advertisement space with no content, and yet the left hand side of the page is missing any content at all too.

Overall it's just a shame that the club has to have it's hands tied by the FL's choices here. You're clearly well on the game with the whole social/web2.0 thing, Gordon, and yet there's very little that you can do to engage users on this site. I maintain that it has a great initial 'look' (apart from the Courier... vomit), but that the user experience when actually drilling down to the details is poor.

Edited by motd2k

Generally just a lot of moaning about nothing on this thread, the website is fine. It isn't 'slow' or anything similar, which as a web professional is usually the first complaint I bin. 'I prefer the old one' doesn't help anyone, except to demoralise those that are working (in this case with their hands tied by the FL) to improve it. The user experience in general is poor at the moment though, and this needs addressing urgently. Things like have to click the 'Enter Bury Football Club' pop-over to actually enter the website will drive visiters away faster than you can imagine; we knew full well when typing www.buryfc.co.uk that we were going to be entering the Bury website, so the stupid confirmation of this fact is just frustrating - it is very clearly just an excuse to beat users around the head with more advertisements.

In many articles the HTML is leaking through - especially on hotlinks. Things like...

"The performance has given us a good basis to work on for the Brentford" target="_blank">Brentford game next weekend now"

taken from http://www.buryfc.co.uk/news/article/a-good-basis-to-work-on-307606.aspx for example

Still using multiple fixed width fonts which look terrible; serif are an extremely unpopular typeface choice - just look at any major website and not a single one will feature Courier. It is only ever used where it's necessary to have a fixed width font - code listings for example, so that they visually align properly. Using it on a page like this is just the designer being cliched, and thinking it makes things 'different'. It does. In a bad way.

Taking a single page as an example of deeper analysis, again it's really just a case of wasted real estate. http://www.buryfc.co.uk/news/ i'm looking at from here on.

Featured Article is presented in it's own frame, yet the huge 'date' text takes up at least a 5th of the frame.... insane - combined with the title font that takes up an additional 3rd of the frame, this means that the actual 'featured' content only gets around 8 more words (in this case 'with a stunning fightback after being 2-0 down.') over it's (duplicated!!!) non-featured alternate. Frankly it looks like the designer was trying to pad, and fill out space.

Latest News _IS_ just padding, it is in prime 'advertisement' space, and yet duplicates (for the 3rd time) the very same articles. Articles are chronologically sorted in the main news frame, so they are by definition 'Latest News' anyway.

Scrolling down the page leads to a huge 'tower' sized advertisement space with no content, and yet the left hand side of the page is missing any content at all too.

Overall it's just a shame that the club has to have it's hands tied by the FL's choices here. You're clearly well on the game with the whole social/web2.0 thing, Gordon, and yet there's very little that you can do to engage users on this site. I maintain that it has a great initial 'look' (apart from the Courier... vomit), but that the user experience when actually drilling down to the details is poor.

You are right in saying that it is shame the club has its hands tied, because the website is slow and all the things you web professionals bin. It does look initially more modern but clearly has been programmed by somebody who doesn't understand football. I appreciate all that Gordon and co are trying to do with it, but I use it far less than before because of its pop ups and weak links.

A most excellent post, thank you

Copied and sent onto the Football league, along with my own eight page rant!!!!!!

the more i use it the less i like it. not as easy as previous, impossible to use on a mobile

when you update you should improve, yes it looks better then it stops there.

sorry its no

Shocking...!!

bring back last season's, don't like the splash page and then having to click the link to enter BFC website. Definitely not user friendly, far too busy..sorry..

I personally prefer the old site. The new site seems a lot slower and everything seems a lot more childish. My particular bug bare is having to press read more on the news articles. I would much prefer to just scroll down through the whole article. I can'e get the site to work properly on my IPhone so I can't really pass comment other than it needs thoroughly testing on mobile devices.

Find it difficult to access via my phone as the front page gets in the way and takes ages to load. Also once I have got past the front page and actually entered the site I think the whole page is way too busy with too much going on for one page.

Is it possible to have some notification of when threads I have posted to have been updated as I find it a bit of a bind having to read through all the threads again to find out where I had read up and posted the previous time or even to find out where I had read up to on posts that I havent posted to.

Probably not possible and just me being lazy lol

Where are the details re buying tickets for the Hull game?

Is it possible to have some notification of when threads I have posted to have been updated as I find it a bit of a bind having to read through all the threads again to find out where I had read up and posted the previous time or even to find out where I had read up to on posts that I havent posted to.

Probably not possible and just me being lazy lol

Is it possible in General settings?

[h=3]Messaging & Notification[/h]Receive Email:

• Receive Email from Administrators
  • Receive Email from Other Members
  • Receive Friendship Request Email

From time to time, the administrators and/or other members may want to send you email notifications or messages. If you do not want to receive email from certain people then you may disable the options here

Default Thread Subscription Mode:Do not subscribe Through my control panel only Instantly, using email Daily, using email Weekly, using email When you post a new thread, or reply to a topic, you can choose to automatically add that thread to your list of subscribed threads, with the option to receive email notification of new replies to that thread.

Three years and 3 months for a reply: Is this a record?

Is it possible in General settings?

Messaging & Notification

Receive Email:

• Receive Email from Administrators
  • Receive Email from Other Members
  • Receive Friendship Request Email

From time to time, the administrators and/or other members may want to send you email notifications or messages. If you do not want to receive email from certain people then you may disable the options here

Default Thread Subscription Mode:Do not subscribe Through my control panel only Instantly, using email Daily, using email Weekly, using email When you post a new thread, or reply to a topic, you can choose to automatically add that thread to your list of subscribed threads, with the option to receive email notification of new replies to that thread.

Three years and 3 months for a reply: Is this a record?

Slightly off topic, but does anyone else have a problem of not receiving an email notification when someone sends a PM?

Used to get them, then not, then randomly started again but now back to square 1. I still get a pop up when i log onto the MB but not the email. An email is handy...for me anyway, to make sure i dont forget to reply!

Cheers if anyone can help.

P.S. Everything is set up right on my settings for an email notification, but as i say, i now dont receive.

Slightly off topic, but does anyone else have a problem of not receiving an email notification when someone sends a PM?

Used to get them, then not, then randomly started again but now back to square 1. I still get a pop up when i log onto the MB but not the email. An email is handy...for me anyway, to make sure i dont forget to reply!

Cheers if anyone can help.

P.S. Everything is set up right on my settings for an email notification, but as i say, i now dont receive.

PM sent.

I have also changed my settings to get email notice so could you reply?