Bury FC Message Board
Kacc

ANYTHING MUSIC/GIG GUIDE/REVIEWS

Doesn't include bands that got big well after a spot in the Two Tubs, but bands that were big at the time, or had gone past their sell-by date? And where did they play??

Doesn't include bands that got big well after a spot in the Two Tubs, but bands that were big at the time, or had gone past their sell-by date? And where did they play??

Does Deeply Vale count as Bury?

Recently seen at Bury Met, Jan Akkerman and Mostly Autumn, big ish. Oh, Lancashire Hotpots. Are they big? Muffin Men was best gig to date. Not big in themselves, but did have Jimmy Carl Black in the line up, and you don't get bigger than the Mothers....

The Who at Bury Palais 1966

I think Game, Set and Match to you.

Arthur Brown (remember 'Fire' in the 60's) played the Liberal Club, Prestwich a few years ago.

P J Proby used to drink in The Wellington

and he used to live in the same block of flats as I did, as did Wayne Fontana.

And come to think of it, once saw Kevin Godley of 10cc shopping at Tesco in Prestwich. They were a big band.

Also in Tesco, my trolley bumped into another bloke's trolley in one of the aisles. He apologised. It was Mike Harding. Told him he had no need to apologise!!

Biggest band to play in BFC Social Club. I missed Salford Jets, but saw Bob Williamson.

and he used to live in the same block of flats as I did, as did Wayne Fontana.

And come to think of it, once saw Kevin Godley of 10cc shopping at Tesco in Prestwich. They were a big band.

Also in Tesco, my trolley bumped into another bloke's trolley in one of the aisles. He apologised. It was Mike Harding. Told him he had no need to apologise!!

Biggest band to play in BFC Social Club. I missed Salford Jets, but saw Bob Williamson.

Great bloke, despite his football team! http://www.bobwilliamson.org/

Used to get a lot of air-play on Piccadilly Radio when it was a decent radio station. Can't remember which DJ played him a lot, could it have been Stannage?

Yes it was James Stannage. Used to play Jasper Carrott who was hilarious until selling out to TV, Bernard Wrigley, Jake Thackeray etc etc, but Bob was the best.

I met James Stannage at a house party probably in the 90's, told me Bob had emigrated to UAE or somewhere similar. ironically, and tragically, alcohol hadn't treated him well at all.

Yes it was James Stannage. Used to play Jasper Carrott who was hilarious until selling out to TV, Bernard Wrigley, Jake Thackeray etc etc, but Bob was the best.

I met James Stannage at a house party probably in the 90's, told me Bob had emigrated to UAE or somewhere similar. ironically, and tragically, alcohol hadn't treated him well at all.

Disappointingly there is no Wikipedia entry of Bob, I was wondering how old he is now.

Disappointingly there is no Wikipedia entry of Bob, I was wondering how old he is now.

I think he's still going. He did, of course, appear as one of the acts over the credits in Phoenix Nights too.

Joy Division a month or 2 before they ended with Curtis death

'twas a good night

2 songs and one almighty kick off :)

Most Bury lads went to see "man with a gun, man with a gun" sung by a punk band i cannot recall the name of who were supporting them that night at the Met.

We have had Big Country (pogomotion style) do an impromptu acoustic set in a certain Bury venue after hours in 2008 (No Stuart Adamson)

Guest 93bury

One of my minor claims to fame is that my Uncle saw Joy Division in 1979 and bumped into Ian Curtis afterwards.

A truly iconic frontman in my opinion (Ian Curtis not my uncle)

How I miss Stannage, and I bet the regulator has had to cut it's budget accordingly! Tried his show on MRO and it just didn't work well.

I think 'The Who' tops that list but I would have loved to have seen Joy Division. A tribute band called Joy Diversion is as near as I've got to them.

2 songs and one almighty kick off :)

Most Bury lads went to see "man with a gun, man with a gun" sung by a punk band i cannot recall the name of who were supporting them that night at the Met.

We have had Big Country (pogomotion style) do an impromptu acoustic set in a certain Bury venue after hours in 2008 (No Stuart Adamson)

man with a gun, was sung by revolver i believe, i saw them when they where supported by accident on the east lancs

youre right about the almighty kick off, but it was at the end of the show. had a sing and a dance on the stage and then a bottle went in the air brought loads of glass on to the stage, and the rest as they say is history