ANYTHING MUSIC/GIG GUIDE/REVIEWS
3 3

513 posts in this topic

13 hours ago, giggabyte said:

I saw the Beatles live on 30.5.63 at Manchester Odeon. They weren't even top of the bill, that was Roy Orbison. But whilst you could hear every word the Big O sang, you couldn't hear anything of the Fab 4 for screaming girls. 

I wish I had made an effort to see the Stones, they are a national treasure now, just a drug crazed bunch of bad boys back then.

The Big O had one of the most amazing voices I've ever heard; would have rather gone to see him than the Beatles 😊

I wouldn't have been old enough to see the Stones in the late 60s/70s when IMO they were at their very best, and I have pretty much every album they released from this era - wouldn't have minded seeing them then, but not now for a number of reasons.

4 minutes ago, myrabury said:

Glad you enjoyed it.  Tbf the Stones could have packed in touring years if not decades ago however I get the impression they genuinely love doing this and always put on a fantastic show.  No cynicism from me 😉

Yeah did, Jagger has tremendous energy for a man in his mid 70's.

Set list

Jumping Jack Flash, Only Rock and Roll, Tumbling Dice, Shattered, Just Your Fool, Lets Spend The Night Together,

Like A Rolling Stone, Can't Always Get What You Want, Paint It Black, Honky Tonk Wowen,

Keith then did, You Got The Silver and  a track I didn't recognise (enquiries ongoing).

Sympathy For The Devil, Miss You, Midnight Rambler, Start Me Up, Brown Sugar and encore of Gimmie Shelter and Satisfaction.

Great sound production, atmosphere, videos and close ups of the band on giant screens.

Tickets well worth it £89.95 on the pitch and not too far from the catwalk that Jagger frequently paraded up and down.

5th time I've seen The Stones, hope it won'y be the last!

• Like 1

On ‎06‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 08:44, Maddentapin said:

Yeah did, Jagger has tremendous energy for a man in his mid 70's.

Set list

Jumping Jack Flash, Only Rock and Roll, Tumbling Dice, Shattered, Just Your Fool, Lets Spend The Night Together,

Like A Rolling Stone, Can't Always Get What You Want, Paint It Black, Honky Tonk Wowen,

Keith then did, You Got The Silver and  a track I didn't recognise (enquiries ongoing).

Sympathy For The Devil, Miss You, Midnight Rambler, Start Me Up, Brown Sugar and encore of Gimmie Shelter and Satisfaction.

Great sound production, atmosphere, videos and close ups of the band on giant screens.

Tickets well worth it £89.95 on the pitch and not too far from the catwalk that Jagger frequently paraded up and down.

5th time I've seen The Stones, hope it won'y be the last!

Glad you had a good time.

It will be 49 years ago (next month)  since the founder of the Rolling Stones Brian Jones died. Interesting that Brian Jones asked Paul Jones (now Radio 2 presenter) to be the lead singer of his new band, before he asked Mr. Jagger. It was also Mr. Jones who in 1962 named his new band after a Muddy Waters Song from 1950 (Rollin' Stone).

Well my mother told my father just before I was born
'I got a boy child comin', gonna be, gonna be a rollin' stone
Sho' enough he's a rollin' stone

Hard to believe this track is almost 40 years old - New Wave meets Dance.  I danced to this track at the Hacienda on one of my forays back home from London during the early 1980s.  A couple of college friends who were Londoners were very impressed - they reckoned the Manchester music scene was way ahead of pretty much anything they'd heard at the time.

My question for New Order fans on here (if there are any) - is this a (deliberate) precursor to Blue Monday? 

I don't know whether it is or not, Myra, but I will say that at around this time last year, they were brilliant at Granada Studios as part of the Manchester International Festival.

They were backed by a keyboard orchestra from the RNCM and they promised a surprising setlist which delivered; there were few hits but superb renditions of mid-80s album tracks like Ultraviolence.

• Like 1

Played this album until it more or less wore out when it was released.  The late, great Lou Reed.  It was also played on GMR....how times change!

I see that Eddie and the Hotrods play the MET in November, maybe one for Myra and a few others on here.

Saw them at Keele Uni in 1977 and they did a very good version of Bob Seger's "Get out of Denver".

Just booked to see Metallica at the Etihad next summer. May have to wear my Bury shirt just to feel better about having to go there, mind. 

My tickets came today to see  Enrique Iglesias for October 27th 2nd time of seeing him, Beverley Knight supporting & 2nd time of seeing her too , taking the daughter & the youngster & counting down the days  

😋:rolleyes2: :clap::clap::x

I went to see The Coral at Albert Hall on Saturday night. Their new album is ace, best of 2018 for me (so far) and they were absolutely fantastic. 

On ‎28‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 12:07, QWERTYOP said:

Just booked to see Metallica at the Etihad next summer. May have to wear my Bury shirt just to feel better about having to go there, mind. 

Saw them at the MEN last year (third time) and they were fantastic as always. Not sure I can bare to part with the sort of money that they want for the Etihad gigs though.

2 hours ago, RammyShaker said:

Saw them at the MEN last year (third time) and they were fantastic as always. Not sure I can bare to part with the sort of money that they want for the Etihad gigs though.

Thankfully, I was able to nab a couple for half price. I needed to clarify a couple of things, so had to send Man City an e-mail and their reply started "Dear supporter". I was nearly sick! This will actually be my first stadium gig. The prices have always put me off. I probably would have booked to see the Foo Fighters at the Etihad this summer, but I'd already bought tickets to see Lenny Kravitz at the Apollo & it was on the same night. Somebody royally screwed up there!! 

Edited by QWERTYOP