The ridiculously long politics thread (was 2015 General Election)
5 5

12,208 posts in this topic

Well well well, I've just had a meeting with *counts* 8 professionals from various agencies; and they will "recommend" that the care I am getting carries on indefinately. That'll be a relief, but please, please don't tell Eshter. 
Thanks for the wishes everyone! :heart:

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DR_PAUL said:

From Saturday 13 January, all credit card surcharges will be banned when a new European directive comes into force. Great news for the consumer.

Two organisations that have put up  " two fingers" to this EU directive are

1. HMRC - as HMRC  issues charges on credit card payments, they have confirmed that they are not going to absorb the costs involved in taking payments via this method and will therefore no longer accept them from 13th January 2018.
HMRC have previously charged £50 million in credit card charges and their decision to stop receiving payments via credit card has not been received well by many consumer groups. Those that have always used this method of payment as a way to assist cash flow and spread the cost could now be left in financial difficulty or need to take out loans and other types of borrowing to pay HMRC liabilities.

2. Junk food app Just Eat - Previously it levied a 50p surcharge on debit and credit card payments, but now is charging 50p surcharge on all payments.

"It's wrong for companies to rebrand credit card fees as service charges," said Hannah Maundrell, the editor in chief of Money.co.uk.

"The law was changed to stop businesses from profiting from unnecessary credit and debit card fees. So this makes a mockery of the law which is trying to protect us from getting ripped off."

On the face of it, this is to be welcomed.

On the flip side; I'm expecting to read about businesses trying to weasel their way out of this by raising the costs of their goods and blaming the rise on non specific 'external factors'....

Just listening to the Tories trying to spin their reshuffle as a triumph of diversity with more women and ethnic minority MP's promoted in the junior ranks blah blah blah.

This after the way Saint Teresa sacked Justine Greening, a working class woman from Rotherham who has a gay partner for declining to move from Education in order to develop her role but giving Jeremy Hunt more power when he refused to move from Health in order to develop his role etc

Same old Tories etc.

2 minutes ago, exiile said:

Just listening to the Tories trying to spin their reshuffle as a triumph of diversity with more women and ethnic minority MP's promoted in the junior ranks blah blah blah.

This after the way Saint Teresa sacked Justine Greening, a working class woman from Rotherham who has a gay partner for declining to move from Education in order to develop her role but giving Jeremy Hunt more power when he refused to move from Health in order to develop his role etc

Same old Tories etc.

Ultimately whoever gets the top jobs should be the best qualified to undertake these jobs, irrespective of race, gender or sexual orientation.  IMO Greening was probably the most palatable of the latest bunch (as in, she actually understood the brief and had a handle on the toxicity of her government's ideological issues), and now she has gone.  It is utterly appalling that Hunt has had his role extended; that McVey has been parachuted into a job she is certainly unsuited for and that despite Boris Johnson's utter incompetence in the role of Foreign Secretary; he has also been allowed to dig his heels in.  May's weakness as a leader is shocking and will continue to have serious ramifications for millions of people in the UK.

Watching the social, cultural and economic stability of this country disappear down the toilet over the last few years has been wretched.

Today; 9.30am rang the out-of hours doctor. 9.40 nurse rang back to listen to dad's breahing. 10.20 Ambulance was at the door. 1125 in the acute response unit, and after being very low on oxygen by 3pm was "recovering" for a thorough examination and is now in a ward being treated for - amongst other things - pneumonia. Nothing but praise, superb service! 
Note there were around 25-30 in the A+E waiting, some obviously in need, with my untrained eye many look like they could be seen to further down the chain, but of course on a Sunday AM what doctors and pharmacists are open? And our walk-in service has gone here too.

I think I am now living in a some kind of different universe with the daily diet of political news here and in the States. 

I am guessing that, today, Nigel Farage must be kicking himself for saying we should have another Brexit vote shortly before news emerged of the ridiculous former Army Officer, Henry Bolton, who is leader of Ukip, being put under pressure after his new 25 year old glamour model girlfriend was exposed for sending racist texts about Megan Markle, Muslims and black people. Bolton was also revealed to have left his wife, the wonderfully named "Tatiana Smurova".

I expect Bolton to be kicked out (quite right too with a name like that) and I would have expected that Nige would pick up his third stint as party leader - particularly now he needs to earn a bit more to help pay back the money he unlawfully claimed as an MEP. MP's and Lords have been jailed in this country for less demeanours.

But calling for another referendum has really upset his "base" and must have ruined his chances of another return. But, then again, this is obviously a different universe where I used to live so anything might happen.