Another one for Kacc & Co

43 posts in this topic

No Buttler, Root @ 3, Livingstone @ 4 and shove everyone else down one. The hard wickest should suit Livingstone even though he'd be a rookie. Hameed's now run out of time (very sadly).

EDIT - How long can Jimmy Boy keep going? We deffo need cover if he breaks down/loses his bus pass/goes to the bingo instead.

Edited by Kacc

1 hour ago, Kacc said:

No Buttler, Root @ 3, Livingstone @ 4 and shove everyone else down one. The hard wickest should suit Livingstone even though he'd be a rookie. Hameed's now run out of time (very sadly).

EDIT - How long can Jimmy Boy keep going? We deffo need cover if he breaks down/loses his bus pass/goes to the bingo instead.

Jimmy says he can play till he's 40:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/09/01/james-anderson-can-play-test-cricket-another-four-years/

Apologies for the Daily Telegraph link btw!

Joking aside, I reckon he could cut down his run and be just as (if not more) affective. Sadly my age remembers the best bowler never to get a gig for England, Peter Lee, who ran off half the run of Jimmy's and could swing and cut the ball in most conditions. 

Basically, what I'm saying is Jimmy's too old, worn out and knackered for England.

meaning

he can spend the next four years at Lancashire helping us win the County Championship....

Story about Peter Lee. 
At Southport Colin Croft was having one of those days when he really was bovvered. Ran in towards the press tent and his bouncers were dropping first-bounce into the press tent, I was sat nearby ducking out of the way. Croft took three, whilst whirling away at the other end Lee was jogging in, swinging it round corners and got a seven-for.

Edited by Kacc

21 hours ago, Kacc said:

Joking aside, I reckon he could cut down his run and be just as (if not more) affective. Sadly my age remembers the best bowler never to get a gig for England, Peter Lee, who ran off half the run of Jimmy's and could swing and cut the ball in most conditions. 

Basically, what I'm saying is Jimmy's too old, worn out and knackered for England.

meaning

he can spend the next four years at Lancashire helping us win the County Championship....

Story about Peter Lee. 
At Southport Colin Croft was having one of those days when he really was bovvered. Ran in towards the press tent and his bouncers were dropping first-bounce into the press tent, I was sat nearby ducking out of the way. Croft took three, whilst whirling away at the other end Lee was jogging in, swinging it round corners and got a seven-for.

You are the "Wisden Cricketers' Almanack" of this message board! 

39 minutes ago, R11 BFC said:

You are the "Wisden Cricketers' Almanack" of this message board! 

Almanack? Isn't that what you wear at Cold Trafford??

Note the concern - to put it mildly - about the state of the OT outfield - the chances of the final game going ahead and the delay to the ODI. Thousands were spent on the outfield three years ago (or so) yet they insist on holding concerts now several times a season, which compacts the soil in addition to all the unusual liquids poured on it. hardly surprising punters paying £60 for a cricket ticket are a tad miffed whent he sun shines but there's no play.
Time Lancs got their priorities sorted. have concerts after the season, lay an artificial off-wicket turf or stop the ruddy things and find another way to get income. Grrr > rant over. Blackwell out.

1 hour ago, Kacc said:

Almanack? Isn't that what you wear at Cold Trafford??

Note the concern - to put it mildly - about the state of the OT outfield - the chances of the final game going ahead and the delay to the ODI. Thousands were spent on the outfield three years ago (or so) yet they insist on holding concerts now several times a season, which compacts the soil in addition to all the unusual liquids poured on it. hardly surprising punters paying £60 for a cricket ticket are a tad miffed whent he sun shines but there's no play.
Time Lancs got their priorities sorted. have concerts after the season, lay an artificial off-wicket turf or stop the ruddy things and find another way to get income. Grrr > rant over. Blackwell out.

Very good! xD

Agree re OT's outfield as well, i couldnt believe it the other day when it was glorious sunshine, yet the match was delayed for about 2 hours. 

Anyway, i'm off to see what the weather is like at Trent Bridge!

Fascinating stuff in the CC at the moment. Yarkshire need Lancs to win, we have Hameed with a hand injury who it would be best if he didn't bat...yet we need 48 runs with 8 down and Hameed the last man in...possibly....

41 minutes ago, Kacc said:

Fascinating stuff in the CC at the moment. Yarkshire need Lancs to win, we have Hameed with a hand injury who it would be best if he didn't bat...yet we need 48 runs with 8 down and Hameed the last man in...possibly....

We've lost. Yay! Hadnt realised Yorkshire were so close to relegation.

Hameed remained unbeaten - he should go to Australia imo, even if just for the experience. I never understand why we only take a squad of about 16. 

Edit: Just been talking to my Dad about you. You'd love to have a chat with him - he was an umpire in the Lancashire League for like a zillion years and used to do a few of Lancashire's 2nd team matches. He got smashed in the face with a ball during a T20 match (Lancashire League) and lost half his teeth. xD I shouldnt laugh really, it was traumatic and the pictures i have of him at the hospital are horrific...his fault though coz he couldnt move fast enough away without his zimmer frame!!! 

Edited by R11 BFC

1 hour ago, R11 BFC said:

We've lost. Yay! Hadnt realised Yorkshire were so close to relegation.

Hameed remained unbeaten - he should go to Australia imo, even if just for the experience. I never understand why we only take a squad of about 16. 

Edit: Just been talking to my Dad about you. You'd love to have a chat with him - he was an umpire in the Lancashire League for like a zillion years and used to do a few of Lancashire's 2nd team matches. He got smashed in the face with a ball during a T20 match (Lancashire League) and lost half his teeth. xD I shouldnt laugh really, it was traumatic and the pictures i have of him at the hospital are horrific...his fault though coz he couldnt move fast enough away without his zimmer frame!!! 

* WARNING: The following shows scenes of a graphic nature, that some viewers may find disturbing:

27052011087.jpg

Edited by R11 BFC
  • Like 1

Before this round of games there were 5 teams in a battle to avoid the second relegation spot.

One team champions, one team safe, another relegated and 5 teams so close that any could go down - sign of a great competition or a very poor one.

The team in 3rd at the start of play had won a grand total of one game out of twelve, the same as the team rock bottom of the championship. They'd also only lost one game.

Survival seems to be achievable by avoiding defeat, something that can be easily done with bland pitches.

Whilst weather can be attributed for some draws there just doesn't seem enough desire to go for wins, there seems to be more fear of letting the other team get the points than desire to claim them themselves.

I wonder how the win % compares to twenty or thirty years ago but can't help but feel that developing that ruthless, "go for the win" attitude would help at international level. 

Didn't Peter Lee play for Northants before us? Was at Lords yesterday. Finn chose on a helpful pitch to show why he should have been at England regular if he could have achieved more consistency.

Edited by postcorvus

3 hours ago, postcorvus said:

Didn't Peter Lee play for Northants before us? 

Yes.

I think the sign that 5 teams could get relegated is because 1/4 of the league go down. If that was football the bottom 6 would go down, so someone in 14th at the last game could be looking over their shoulders! Of course in the fourth three go up and four in the playoffs - same thing only different.

Think 5 could go down, but Somerset have to beat Middlesex and Middlesex take a good few bonus points to put the others at risk. Could still happen that Yarkshire go down, but the maths is against it. 

Lancs have signed Keaton Jennings on a 4 year deal.They have needed an opener for a while .Hope he can find his form after a poor season with Durham

3 minutes ago, Alan B said:

Lancs have signed Keaton Jennings on a 4 year deal.They have needed an opener for a while .Hope he can find his form after a poor season with Durham

Interesting. He's not impressed me overall, but as you say, if he can find his form...him and Hameed could be a pretty formidable opening partnership. In fact, once Cook retires they could be England's opening pair...which then would be bad news for Lancs! Could you ever imagine that happening in football. Oi there's some international matches coming up and we want your best players for 2 months!!!

Btw are there actual transfer fees in cricket? Probably a thick question and i suspect the answer is no but why not, if you compare it to football?

2 hours ago, R11 BFC said:

Interesting. He's not impressed me overall, but as you say, if he can find his form...him and Hameed could be a pretty formidable opening partnership. In fact, once Cook retires they could be England's opening pair...which then would be bad news for Lancs! Could you ever imagine that happening in football. Oi there's some international matches coming up and we want your best players for 2 months!!!

Btw are there actual transfer fees in cricket? Probably a thick question and i suspect the answer is no but why not, if you compare it to football?

Contracts are occasionally bought out but most moves happen at the end of contracts. 

Sir Ian has been raising the issue of transfer fees though.

http://www.theweek.co.uk/cricket/88498/cricket-needs-football-style-transfer-fees-says-sir-ian-botham

Very sad for Durham who have seen almost a full team of internationals leave over the last 12 months, heavily due to their treatment from the ECB.

Would Surrey or Middlesex have been treated in the same way as Durham? 

Edited by ronky

1 minute ago, ronky said:

Contracts are occasionally bought out but most moves happen at the end of contracts. 

Sir Ian has been raising the issue of transfer fees though.

Very sad for Durham who have seen almost a full team of internationals leave over the last 12 months, heavily due to their treatment from the ECB.

Would Surrey or Middlesex have been treated in the same way as Durham? 

Is there no Bosman ruling then?! Agree re Durham...they seem to have been hung, drawn and quartered. 

12 minutes ago, R11 BFC said:

Is there no Bosman ruling then?! Agree re Durham...they seem to have been hung, drawn and quartered. 

If there was then it wouldn't apply to KJ as he's over age but there doesn't appear to be as Stuart Broad was only 21 when he left Leicestershire (aka Notts Development Squad) and they complained that they got no benefit.

Luckily though cricket has Kolpak to get people scratching their heads to decipher 😕

9 minutes ago, ronky said:

If there was then it wouldn't apply to KJ as he's over age but there doesn't appear to be as Stuart Broad was only 21 when he left Leicestershire (aka Notts Development Squad) and they complained that they got no benefit.

Luckily though cricket has Kolpak to get people scratching their heads to decipher 😕

Cheers mate. And yes, i did have to google Kolpak! You're like a child prodigy of exiile!!!

3 minutes ago, R11 BFC said:

Cheers mate. And yes, i did have to google Kolpak! You're like a child prodigy of exiile!!!

I assumed Kolpak was well known, I underestimate my geekiness at times.

I think it was a Notts v Leics game where half of the players were from overseas, though the same could be said about England get togethers!!!!

Is it right that an Eastern European handballer can affect the performance of our national cricket team, or am I on the wrong thread for that debate 😀

• Haha 1