Another one for Kacc & Co

43 posts in this topic

40 minutes ago, R11 BFC said:

Ashes squad picked:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/41409370

I'm going 4-1 to the Aussies after reading that. 

Aggers doesn't exactly seem convinced by the squad 😁

I don't understand why you'd take so many uncapped players on a tour to Australia, surely we could have found a way to give them some experience at home or will they be given a couple of tests and then added to the scrap heap?

1 hour ago, ronky said:

Aggers doesn't exactly seem convinced by the squad 😁

I don't understand why you'd take so many uncapped players on a tour to Australia, surely we could have found a way to give them some experience at home or will they be given a couple of tests and then added to the scrap heap?

Half-and-half. I've been quite impressed by Overton and seeing as our quickies have been dropping like my shares, why not? 
But deffo jaw-drops at Craine. A young lad, fine, but with little first-class experience and my average is better than his...our lad Parky's a better prospect IMO. And Ball, a second division cricketer??

Meanwhile, maybe it's my age and all that but why would a professional sportsmen be out in the wee smalls during a game or the immediate night before? Even if they are drinking lemonade?? Bizarre, and I'd sack them. Even at Blackpool Hockey Festival the students are usually in bed by 3am.

Lucky sods. 

Joe Root (capt, Yorkshire), Moeen Ali (Worcestershire), James Anderson (Lancashire), Jonny Bairstow (wk, Yorkshire), Jake Ball (Nottinghamshire), Gary Ballance (Yorkshire), Stuart Broad (Nottinghamshire), Alastair Cook (Essex), Mason Crane (Hampshire), Ben Foakes (wk, Surrey), Dawid Malan (Middlesex), Craig Overton (Somerset), Ben Stokes (Durham), Mark Stoneman (Surrey), James Vince (Hampshire), Chris Woakes (Warwickshire)

Edited by Kacc

1 hour ago, Kacc said:

Half-and-half. I've been quite impressed by Overton and seeing as our quickies have been dropping like my shares, why not? 
But deffo jaw-drops at Craine. A young lad, fine, but with little first-class experience and my average is better than his...our lad Parky's a better prospect IMO. And Ball, a second division cricketer??

Meanwhile, maybe it's my age and all that but why would a professional sportsmen be out in the wee smalls during a game or the immediate night before? Even if they are drinking lemonade?? Bizarre, and I'd sack them. Even at Blackpool Hockey Festival the students are usually in bed by 3am.

Lucky sods. 

Joe Root (capt, Yorkshire), Moeen Ali (Worcestershire), James Anderson (Lancashire), Jonny Bairstow (wk, Yorkshire), Jake Ball (Nottinghamshire), Gary Ballance (Yorkshire), Stuart Broad (Nottinghamshire), Alastair Cook (Essex), Mason Crane (Hampshire), Ben Foakes (wk, Surrey), Dawid Malan (Middlesex), Craig Overton (Somerset), Ben Stokes (Durham), Mark Stoneman (Surrey), James Vince (Hampshire), Chris Woakes (Warwickshire)

1. Cook

2. ?

3. ?

4. Root

5. ?

6. Stokes

7. Bairstow

8. Ali

9. Woakes

10. Broad

11. Anderson

Eight good players, eight average imo. The Sky (i know you dont like!) Team - Athers, Beefy, Nasser...were going mental over some of the 'eight'.

39 minutes ago, R11 BFC said:

Come on then Kacc...what would you do here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/41581768

I cant believe relegation was so close - 2 points separating 4 teams:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/county-championship-division-one/table

Middlesex go down. Slow over rate = points deduction.

Yes it was a crossbow arrow but it could easily have been a thunderstorm or bad light that prevented them from getting back out there and there's no guarantee that they would have improved it.

That said Middlesex share a ground with the MCC and Somerset are a bunch of West country bumpkins so cancelling the points deduction could well be the decision!

13 minutes ago, ronky said:

Middlesex go down. Slow over rate = points deduction.

Yes it was a crossbow arrow but it could easily have been a thunderstorm or bad light that prevented them from getting back out there and there's no guarantee that they would have improved it.

That said Middlesex share a ground with the MCC and Somerset are a bunch of West country bumpkins so cancelling the points deduction could well be the decision!

Good point (no pun intended). Send the cockneys down!

Hadnt realised they played the country bumpkins last game of the season as well...what a classic:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/scorecard/ECKO41303

And they were moaning about the pitch and i quote...

"Middlesex are in trouble against Somerset and are unhappy at the spinners’ surface served up for them."

What a bunch of whiners!!!

On 27/09/2017 at 14:12, R11 BFC said:

The Sky (i know you dont like!) Team - Athers, Beefy, Nasser...were going mental over some of the 'eight'.

That reminds me, for anyone who doesn’t know it is on BT sports this winter and not Sky.

Shame ....

• Haha 1

On 27/09/2017 at 14:12, R11 BFC said:

1. Cook

2. ?

3. ?

4. Root

5. ?

6. Stokes

7. Bairstow

8. Ali

9. Woakes

10. Broad

11. Anderson

If Stokes isn’t there, what about ....... ?

Cook

Stoneman

Root

Bairstow

Ballance

Ali

Foakes (wk)

Woakes

Overton

Broad

Anderson

Gutted that we may not get to see Woakes, Foakes and Stokes in the same middle order !

Also, although they are not identical, I do like Phil Tufnell’s suggestion of taking both the Overton twins and hoping the Aussies don’t notice if we play em both as one man 🤔

53 minutes ago, shakerste said:

If Stokes isn’t there, what about ....... ?

Cook

Stoneman

Root

Bairstow

Ballance

Ali

Foakes (wk)

Woakes

Overton

Broad

Anderson

Not a bad shout (apart from Ballance...i cant cope with him!) although i dont really know much about Foakes (how many players do we need to rhyme?!) and Overton. But what i have felt for a while (like you obviously have too) is that Bairstow is probably our 3rd or 4th best batsman. Now he's come on leaps and bounds wicket keeping wise but why waste him, when our real weakness is in our batting? That's why personally i'd have taken Buttler, let him keep wicket and come in at number 7, like Foakes in your team. But i bet the selectors wont do it.

Thanks for the BT reminder btw...good job Virgin Media provide that service! Do you know who the commentators are? I've grown quite fond of Bumble, Athers, Beefy and Co, inc the Kia Zone!

The Stokes affair has put a real dampner on it all for me though...i cant see there being any chance of him going. I'd have loved to have seen him squaring up to Warner and Co but very much in a cricketing way and not in a street brawl kind of way.

Edited by R11 BFC

11 hours ago, shakerste said:

That reminds me, for anyone who doesn’t know it is on BT sports this winter and not Sky.

Shame ....

BT or Sky, the fact that cricket is now on one of the hundreds of pay TV channels rather than 4 terrestrial stations is not helping the game's growth.

Interesting video on bbc recently about black players in English cricket that also highlights the decline in league cricket.

Digressing I know, which isn't like me at all, but what is the objective of a sporting body, excellence and elite level or mass participation boosting the nation?

Millions spent on rowing (that's the boat thing with oars rather than arguing 😀) and cuts to badminton and basketball shows the way that I fear we're heading 😣

47 minutes ago, ronky said:

BT or Sky, the fact that cricket is now on one of the hundreds of pay TV channels rather than 4 terrestrial stations is not helping the game's growth.

Interesting video on bbc recently about black players in English cricket that also highlights the decline in league cricket.

Digressing I know, which isn't like me at all, but what is the objective of a sporting body, excellence and elite level or mass participation boosting the nation?

Millions spent on rowing (that's the boat thing with oars rather than arguing 😀) and cuts to badminton and basketball shows the way that I fear we're heading 😣

On the one hand the huge number of channels means we can watch more sports (many free/legal on the web) and on the other they are so spread around they are difficult to find.

Amazingly hockey used to be relatively freely available on youtube, and if anyone wanted to watch a live EHL game knew where to find it. They now have their own internet channel and no exposure on youtube, because they are so difficult to find, so viewing numbers have deteriorated. Cricket has done somethign similar, county games were streamed on youtube - but now those streaming counties use outside bodies who are difficult to find, even through the counties website.
What we need is one encompassing website where every event that is broadcast (TV/web) can be found, and if it''s a freecast we can watch, and if it's pay then we can send the sub to the host company. Let's face it, that's exactly what the pirates do, why can't the official companies?
It's the world mixed fours Curling finals over the weekend and at least three games are available for free. Go find....

Edited by Kacc

3 minutes ago, Kacc said:

On the one hand the huge number of channels means we can watch more sports (many free/legal on the web) and on the other they are so spread around they are difficult to find.

Amazingly hockey used to be relatively freely available on youtube, and if anyone wanted to watch a live EHL game knew where to find it. They now have their own internet channel and no exposure on youtube, because they are so difficult to find, so viewing numbers have deteriorated. Cricket has done somethign similar, county games were streamed on youtube - but now those streaming counties use outside bodies who are difficult to find, even through the counties website.
What we need is one encompassing website where every event that is broadcast (TV/web) can be found, and if it''s a freecast we can watch, and if it's pay then we can send the sub to the host company. Let's face it, that's exactly what the pirates do, why can't the official companies?
It's the world mixed fours Curling finals over the weekend and at least three games are available for free. Go find....

It also requires people to go looking.

Whilst I am critical of sports removing the ability for fans to watch free of charge I more than acknowledge that it is harder because of the range of options, when there are only 4 channels it is a lot easy to decide to give cricket, rugbies, darts, snooker, bowls, etc a go. I'm old now so don't remember if I chose to watch such sports or watched it because they were all that were on bar daytime soaps but I know that now I would choose them.

1 hour ago, ronky said:

It also requires people to go looking.

Whilst I am critical of sports removing the ability for fans to watch free of charge I more than acknowledge that it is harder because of the range of options, when there are only 4 channels it is a lot easy to decide to give cricket, rugbies, darts, snooker, bowls, etc a go. I'm old now so don't remember if I chose to watch such sports or watched it because they were all that were on bar daytime soaps but I know that now I would choose them.

A lot of stuff gets hidden away under the BBC's red button which the vast majority know nothing about when it happens. There is a red button alert if you are watching BBC1/2 on SD, but IFAIK not if you are watching in HD. I note that the FA Cup game featuring Chorley was shown live on the BBC's sports on-line channel, and I hadn't a frigging clue. And we're all paying for it.... Grrr. 
Really needs sorting - put everything in one place even if we have to pay for portions of it. Benefits everyone. 

17 hours ago, R11 BFC said:

Not a bad shout (apart from Ballance...i cant cope with him!) although i dont really know much about Foakes (how many players do we need to rhyme?!) and Overton. But what i have felt for a while (like you obviously have too) is that Bairstow is probably our 3rd or 4th best batsman. Now he's come on leaps and bounds wicket keeping wise but why waste him, when our real weakness is in our batting? That's why personally i'd have taken Buttler, let him keep wicket and come in at number 7, like Foakes in your team. But i bet the selectors wont do it.

Thanks for the BT reminder btw...good job Virgin Media provide that service! Do you know who the commentators are? I've grown quite fond of Bumble, Athers, Beefy and Co, inc the Kia Zone!

The Stokes affair has put a real dampner on it all for me though...i cant see there being any chance of him going. I'd have loved to have seen him squaring up to Warner and Co but very much in a cricketing way and not in a street brawl kind of way.

Hard to choose your eleven when it isn't the full squad one would have picked in the first place eh ! ? ;)

Ballance was the last name in in my choice to be fair - if he does bat in 'my' team it would have to be number five - neither Vince nor Malan are miles ahead of him and he has more experience including down under was my thinking - also he provides something different in between some of the more aggressive shot makers - then again that could be a bad thing? I don't know much about Foakes or Overton either to be honest - in the case of Foakes it was purely that he was the next choice if  Bairstow was to play as a batsman in his own right (I agree about him being 4th best, after Stokes, 3rd best without Stokes - Moeeeeeeen not far behind) and again Overton was purely as I perceive him as next in line, although Ball has played a little white ball cricket.

Butler would have probably been my choice ahead of Foakes too but as I say I don't know too much about the latter, many seem to think he has a very promising future. Very sadly Butler's red ball game seems to well and truly have stalled at the moment. Shared keeping duties in both tests and ODIs have been muted in the past, even during games !  I like Butler keeping and Bairstow batting higher up the the ODI's. Personally I feel Bairstow has earnt the right to be a batsman in the test side too now but then again I understand the selectors thinking given his improvement behind the stumps and as an overall package.

I doubt my team will match the chosen eleven. Out of that squad, I would have probably had Plunkett and Roland-Jones (before the injury) in instead of Ball and Overton and Finn, Rashid/Leach ahead of Crane, Butler ahead of Foakes, and Ballance and Vince are very fortunate - although not sure exactly who would have been there instead.

I find it sad that our international cricket isn't on terrestrial TV but (hypocrite alert) I have grown a liking to the Sky commentary team more recently. Yes, some are often repetitive but the blend is ok - Atherton and Hussain are probably the stand outs. I was a little disappointed to discover it wouldn't be on Sky. That, the Stokes situation and things like Adelaide being a day night test match have made things a little less exciting than they would have been. I still think we can do ok even without Stokes (or at least I am not as gloomy as others have been) IF, IF, IF we start the series well and at least avoid defeat in Brisbane. A poor start and another five niler wouldn't surprise me.

I am not sure about BT but from what I gather from a couple of internet searches / look at what they did last winter I think the programme is going to be fronted by Radio 1's Greg James, with Vaughan, Swann and Ponting (based in Salford !!) and then the commentary is provided by Channel 9 in Oz, with KP also providing specific punditry for BT, from his position in Oz.

I may try to sync the picture with TMS commentary - Channel 9 ain't what it used to be !

Now how about a team full of keepers in the batting order

Bairstow

Billings

Duckett

Butler

Clarke

Foakes 

Davies  ....................

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, shakerste said:

Also, speaking of TMS and for anyone who didn't see / hear it ....

Haha...quality - the way he was getting more and more wound up! Not seen/heard that one before. Cheers Ste. xD