Andy Bishop

12 posts in this topic

Still one of my favourite ever Bury players. Unfortunately, most of the time, many of the players around him did not think or see quickly enough to anticipate his runs leading the moaners to say "he's always offside" rather than blaming the real culprits!

On ‎01‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 14:43, StockportShakerPete said:

Still one of my favourite ever Bury players. Unfortunately, most of the time, many of the players around him did not think or see quickly enough to anticipate his runs leading the moaners to say "he's always offside" rather than blaming the real culprits!

In 2008-09 of all the players who were caught offside in the Premiership and the Football League the top two were:

1. Ryan Lowe (Chester City)

2. Andy Bishop (Bury)

Lowe scored 18 goals that season and Bishop scored 17.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DR_PAUL said:

In 2008-09 of all the players who were caught offside in the Premiership and the Football League the top two were:

1. Ryan Lowe (Chester City)

2. Andy Bishop (Bury)

Lowe scored 18 goals that season and Bishop scored 17.

Good stat! 

On 01/02/2018 at 14:43, StockportShakerPete said:

Fair enough but you must admit he needed to work on timing his jumps.  Half the time he had landed before the ball had reached him.

• Like 1

On 2/1/2018 at 14:43, StockportShakerPete said:

Andy Bishop was born offside ;)

4 minutes ago, RaRa said:

Andy Bishop was born offside ;)

I heard someone in the South Stand say he was born in a Staffordshire Village called Wedlock. Actually I think I remember him saying he was born just out of Wedlock, but he used a different turn of phrase :)

I think we owe just as much as some people say we owe Day to the current status of our football club to Andy, without his goals we would have been dead and buried in non league football years ago....maybe not even a football club anymore.

• Like 1

Many times he was unfairly asked to play whilst injured.  He did it without question but it did him no favours.

1 hour ago, shaker90 said:

I think we owe just as much as some people say we owe Day to the current status of our football club to Andy, without his goals we would have been dead and buried in non league football years ago....maybe not even a football club anymore.

An odd comparison.

Anyway regardless your point still holds. When Bish arrived we hadn't had a proper goalscorer, ie 15+ goals a season since Mark Carter. He was a breath of fresh air, a battler and a grafter. Not only did he score goals but his work rate would normally contribute to them as well. He had flair, class  and could finish. He also had the ability to be anonymous and then just pop up to knock in crucial goals.

Sadly I wasn't at Boston in 2007 but it is one away day I really wish I had managed to get to. But Bish probably banged in his most crucial goal for us that day.

I think he managed 18 goals in all comps in 2006/2007, despite us finishing 21st.

25 goals in all comps in 2007/2008 (19 in the league, many after Knill's arrival and his goals no doubt had a massive say in our end of season revival.)

17 goals in 2008/2009 despite carrying an injury. (We'd have gone up most likely if he had remained fully fit all season.)

Granted his injuries took their toll after that but he was a great servant for the club who left many fond memories. And, as a whole his first two years at Bury provided a lot of positivity and a fair few bright spots despite there not being much to be positive about.

Edited by Barry P
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, shaker90 said:

I've always thought Tom Youngs filled that role. Critical goals in both 05/06 and 06/07.

11 minutes ago, James said:

I've always thought Tom Youngs filled that role. Critical goals in both 05/06 and 06/07.

Oh aye, persistence to charge down Gilks saw him bag the opening goal in our first victory over Dale at Gigg Lane in yonks. Then there was the second goal at Notts County on the season's final day and of course, the following season a similar goal to that one against Dale when we won at Walsall. A huge, huge goal that was.