Bury FC vs Southend United
3 3

220 posts in this topic

Hi Bury.

Not long to Tuesday and another round of Bury/Southend. I see you got a good point at Bradford on Saturday, and given your current league position I guess you're scrapping for all the points at the moment. Now we have shed ourselves of Phil Brown we are on a bit of a recovery with Chrissie Powell leading the charge, so Tuesday has the makings of a cracker of a game with both sides chasing the points. I'm not a great believer in omens, but I see that it is pancake day on Tuesday and I hope that doesn't mean your Pancake hexes the game.

I reckon it will end all square. Anyway good luck for the rest of season after Tuesday, of course.

• Like 1

Good appointment, me and my son spent his youth following Charlton for the cheap Prem football. If Chris shows even a tenth of the enthusiasm for you that he displayed as a player you won't go far wrong. However be set for tears on Tuesday.

5 minutes ago, postcorvus said:

Good appointment, me and my son spent his youth following Charlton for the cheap Prem football. If Chris shows even a tenth of the enthusiasm for you that he displayed as a player you won't go far wrong. However be set for tears on Tuesday.

He was our left back for 6 years so he is a bit of a legend. I hope his managerial  career with us doesn't spoil those memories.

I hope the rain relents for the next couple of days. I don't think it would be ideal for us to have to wait until the Monday after when we play Blackburn. Its going to be a hard game and hopefully Southend take us lightly after their impressive win v Wigan. Need the high tempo that we had v Wimbledon to win this game. 

Ye he's a top fella Chris Powell, its only a matter of time before he's a successful manager, its a shame you didn't wait a little longer before you sacked the tango man, we used to love throwing insults at him, he had a good record against us though. Its gonna be a tough one for us though lets hope a long journey takes its toll on your ageing team.;)

23 minutes ago, russ hamer said:

Ye he's a top fella Chris Powell, its only a matter of time before he's a successful manager, its a shame you didn't wait a little longer before you sacked the tango man, we used to love throwing insults at him, he had a good record against us though. Its gonna be a tough one for us though lets hope a long journey takes its toll on your ageing team.;)

With hindsight, had he been outed earlier we could have been sniffing on the edge of the play-offs. You may be right about the aging bit, but we bought reasonably well in the January sales so we have something in reserve. Marc-Antoine Fortuné is 36 now but he's running around like a 20 year old at the moment. The Wigan fans gave him stick as he used to be one of theirs, so he got no pleasure from scoring our second against them on Saturday.

What's your pitch like by the way? Ours was wrongly laid pre-season and it's a complete cow field now.

Edited by Rootshallbloke

27 minutes ago, Rootshallbloke said:

With hindsight, had he been outed earlier we could have been sniffing on the edge of the play-offs. You may be right about the aging bit, but we bought reasonably well in the January sales so we have something in reserve. Marc-Antoine Fortuné is 36 now but he's running around like a 20 year old at the moment. The Wigan fans gave him stick as he used to be one of theirs, so he got no pleasure from scoring our second against them on Saturday.

What's your pitch like by the way? Ours was wrongly laid pre-season and it's a complete cow field now.

Pitch isn’t great at the moment  but we’ve had a tremendous amount of rain in the last  3 months (it is the North.....)

Having said that, it hasn’t been played on that much, and i’m surprised it’s looking so poor, I thought the club had finally resolved the drainage issues

Let’s hope we get more than 10 minutes in....!!

47 minutes ago, Rootshallbloke said:

Ladbrokes have stopped taking bets whether you or us will have a new stadium before 2025:P

34 minutes ago, scales of justice said:

Pitch isn’t great at the moment  but we’ve had a tremendous amount of rain in the last  3 months (it is the North.....)

Having said that, it hasn’t been played on that much, and i’m surprised it’s looking so poor, I thought the club had finally resolved the drainage issues

Let’s hope we get more than 10 minutes in....!!

Football focus stated that Rochdale (therefore us as well near as damn) has had 289 days of rain in last 12 months. Amounting to over 5ft of water.

34 minutes ago, Rootshallbloke said:

I'm certain you lot save it all up for when we come to your house. Sadly I'm not making the pilgrimage this season.

Sensible chap..the journey on a Tuesday is serious travelling and expense.. put your feet up mate!

There could be more overnight Mon/Tue, if not snow then rain so pitch will be well heavy if match is on. At least our pitch looks better than Bradford's, Blackpool's,  and, er, Rochdale's. 

Today is supposed to be ok but tomorrow is forecast rain and sleet solid between 7am and 3pm which might give us a problem getting the match on if the pitch is not covered.

9 minutes ago, Rootshallbloke said:

Moving on from the weather, is Adam Thompson back with you now, and is he playing?

Yes he is, he played last Tuesday, was on the bench on Saturday, I expect him to play tomorrow

6 minutes ago, scales of justice said:

Yes he is, he played last Tuesday, was on the bench on Saturday, I expect him to play tomorrow

I'm glad he's getting game time again. I'm still not sure he made the right choices leaving us but it's all about financial security for players at our level and apparently you guys offered more than we did. Another one of your old boys, James Vaughan, played for Wigan against us last week. He scored, got mugged in our penalty box, didn't get a penalty, got booked for his protests and lost 3-1. Not a good day at his office.

Edited by Rootshallbloke