Bury FC vs Southend United
3 3

220 posts in this topic

It's also important to have two central midfielders who can break up play and feed the wingers. Dawson was immobile and Laurent was not at his best. The service to the strikers was poor. It's immaterial how many strikers you employ if the rest of the team isn't functioning. Only the centre backs and keeper emerged with credit Imo.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, steveb said:

It's also important to have two central midfielders who can break up play and feed the wingers. Dawson was immobile and Laurent was not at his best. The service to the strikers was poor. It's immaterial how many strikers you employ if the rest of the team isn't functioning. Only the centre backs and keeper emerged with credit Imo.

Ran out of likes but you deserve one.

1 hour ago, steveb said:

My thoughts exactly. 

8 hours ago, Sittingonthefence said:

Point taken about their injuries, but my response is should they be playing if they cant give 100%? Nope.

Incompetent management earlier in the season has put Dawson and Hanson in the firing line before they are fully fit.  

• Like 2

We did well last night, Southend are a very good side and probably the form team in the division since Chris Powell took over, how on earth were we level at half time. Then the management team did their job, I know Laurents had some criticism but dropping him deeper in midfield stopped them playing their triangles. All the players did their best for the shirt on a difficult pitch and it was a very hard earned point. None of the teams around us will be looking forward to playing Southend that's for sure.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, russ hamer said:

We did well last night, Southend are a very good side and probably the form team in the division since Chris Powell took over, how on earth were we level at half time. Then the management team did their job, I know Laurents had some criticism but dropping him deeper in midfield stopped them playing their triangles. All the players did their best for the shirt on a difficult pitch and it was a very hard earned point. None of the teams around us will be looking forward to playing Southend that's for sure.

Don't usually disagree with you Russ but my opinion, and it's my first on my favourite player of the game is that Tutte made a difference. He was back to his usual hustling bustling self and putting in some nice passes to boot. :) I really thought Laurent was having a torrid time all night. Certainly never put his foot in when needed.

12 hours ago, Sittingonthefence said:

amazing. Second half he was torn to bits. Like he has been all season.

Torn to bits?? Really. Not one person on that pitch got tore to bits last night!

There was very little quality so really do find that hard to believe.

6 hours ago, steveb said:

I'm coming round to the opinion that the average League 1 central midfielder has improved dramatically over the last decade.  They are now all round footballers, they can break up play, but are comfortable on the ball in tight spaces and can pass and move.  Laurent is not a good footballer and it seems that Dawson's energy and presence have masked his footballing deficiencies up to now.  Both are one dimensional when the best in the division are so multi-talented.  The pair of them together is a raising of a footballing white flag and needs to be avoided at all costs.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, South Stander said:

Torn to bits?? Really. Not one person on that pitch got tore to bits last night!

There was very little quality so really do find that hard to believe.

You seem to have Phils 3rd leg in your mouth.

was it acceptable that he dallied on the ball in the 18 yard box on the goal line, lost it and then we nearly conceded? He had so much time to clear it.

He is the worst right back in my 20 years.

5 minutes ago, Sittingonthefence said:

You seem to have Phils 3rd leg in your mouth.

was it acceptable that he dallied on the ball in the 18 yard box on the goal line, lost it and then we nearly conceded? He had so much time to clear it.

He is the worst right back in my 20 years.

😂👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻. Just think your giving him more grief then he should get. The game was littered with mistakes. You thinking Phil has 3 legs just about sums up your vision!! 👀👀👀

13 minutes ago, still running man said:

Don't usually disagree with you Russ but my opinion, and it's my first on my favourite player of the game is that Tutte made a difference. He was back to his usual hustling bustling self and putting in some nice passes to boot. :) I really thought Laurent was having a torrid time all night. Certainly never put his foot in when needed.

I think Ryan bringing Tutte on for Zeli saved us a point. Defensively the midfield couldn't cope, but would only give our Andrew a 6 for his efforts.

I know he hasn't had much of a look in this season but when he`s had a chance he hasn't looked his old self. (apart from Walsall, checker)

The old Tutte would have been a regular this season and is exactly what the midfield has been missing.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ExiledinEdgeley said:

I think Ryan bringing Tutte on for Zeli saved us a point. Defensively the midfield couldn't cope, but would only give our Andrew a 6 for his efforts.

I know he hasn't had much of a look in this season but when he`s had a chance he hasn't looked his old self. (apart from Walsall, checker)

The old Tutte would have been a regular this season and is exactly what the midfield has been missing.

Agreed, Tutte showed plenty of endeavour but little quality . He has to be released at the end of the season (sorry Ian)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scales of justice said:

Agreed, Tutte showed plenty of endeavour but little quality . He has to be released at the end of the season (sorry Ian)

I enjoyed our friendship whilst it lasted :P 

10 minutes ago, scales of justice said:

Along with Craig Jones........

10 minutes ago, scales of justice said:

Along with Craig Jones........

you'll have Andy crying on my shoulder on Monday!

1 hour ago, scales of justice said:

You both not going tomorrow night ?

certainly are Mike. Looking forward to it. Hopefully it stays dry till w/end otherwise it will be very hard going for the lads.

I'm agreeing with Scales on this Ian, good players in Lg2 Tutte and Jonah but either because of injuries or just not mentally strong enough, they've been found out in Lg 1.

1 hour ago, russ hamer said:

I'm agreeing with Scales on this Ian, good players in Lg2 Tutte and Jonah but either because of injuries or just not mentally strong enough, they've been found out in Lg 1.

Sadly I agree with Jonah, but I`m still holding on to the belief that Tutte can do a Dann`s-like about turn and rekindle his old form.

Before injury his form was decent in L1. We have tried loads of people in his position including Bruce and Edwards and apart from Dann`s for a few games all have failed.

Replacing him with a better box to box midfielder for probably L2 next season is easier said than done.

• Like 1

I think it will sadly be goodbye to both at the end of the season. If we stay up I think there will be a trimming of the squad and bringing in quality above what Tutte and Jonah are now capable of but if we go down I think there will be a rethink and more of a use of younger players such as Tsun, styles and Burgess who I think will come back stronger having spent a whole season at Macc.