Allardyce - Englands lucky escape?

9 posts in this topic

As it says on the tin. Couldn't hack it at Everton, just made me wonder if he hadn't been a dodgy dealer whether Ingurland would have qualified considering his style of football? 

Another deluded club with short term memories 

We would probably have a chance of winning it as he would have worked out a way to win, which probably wouldn’t involve as many sideway passing

53 minutes ago, Kacc said:

As it says on the tin. Couldn't hack it at Everton, just made me wonder if he hadn't been a dodgy dealer whether Ingurland would have qualified considering his style of football

They were relegation fodder when he took over, if finishing eighth is not hacking it then I'd like to know what is.   We should be so lucky. 

As for his style?   Allardyce was first labelled a 'long ball' merchant by Wenger and Souness when they were trying to find excuses as to why Bolton always beat them.  Anyone who ever watched an Allardyce team with the likes of Djorkaeff, Okocha, Anelka, Campo, Hierro  etc will know they played some of the classiest football out there.  It's all about perception.  Match analysis showed that both Wenger and Souness played over twice as many 'long balls' as Allardyce.  The difference was that when Allardyce did it it was 'a boot upfield', yet when Wenger or Souness did it it was 'a searching cross-field pass'.  As I said, it's all about perception but unfortunately mud sticks.

• Like 8

17 hours ago, RaRa said:

They were relegation fodder when he took over, if finishing eighth is not hacking it then I'd like to know what is.   We should be so lucky. 

As for his style?   Allardyce was first labelled a 'long ball' merchant by Wenger and Souness when they were trying to find excuses as to why Bolton always beat them.  Anyone who ever watched an Allardyce team with the likes of Djorkaeff, Okocha, Anelka, Campo, Hierro  etc will know they played some of the classiest football out there.  It's all about perception.  Match analysis showed that both Wenger and Souness played over twice as many 'long balls' as Allardyce.  The difference was that when Allardyce did it it was 'a boot upfield', yet when Wenger or Souness did it it was 'a searching cross-field pass'.  As I said, it's all about perception but unfortunately mud sticks.

You are missing out Stelios, the Greek winger. What a bloody good player for Bolton he was.

I did used to love Wenger and Arsenal fans gripe with Allardyce. 'They don't play it the Arsenal way so aren't worthy winners.' If Bolton or Stoke under Pullis had played that way they'd have probably lost. My Bolton supporting friend though often recalls that whilst Arsenal were always playing the victim card they used to be equally brutal and dirty when they visited the Macron.

Despite being against Allardyce generally, I was initially delighted that he got the England job. Thought we needed to become harder to beat and who better than Allardyce to do this.

But showed his true colours, horrible man. And glad he's no longer involved. He can do a job as shown at Everton but I think that lots of fans, up and down the football pyramid, are less and less interested in grinding results out year on year. We pay lots of cash to support our team, throughout the country. And it is entertainment and loyalty only goes so far. Moyes is the same and funnily enough they both get rid on the same day.

With England, I am happy with how Southgate has dealt with the job. We have a method to our play, a squad of players picked to fit that. Granted, we haven't got many (if any) World Class players. Win, lose or draw, I am certain that the games we play will be exciting to watch. Think it has been a long time since that happened! C'mon England!

Were the fans complaining about Allardyce’s style of play the same who were unhappy with how open they were under Roberto Martinez ?

Let’s see what they think of Marco Silva .....

Edited by shakerste

Excellent manager.

Thorough, meticulous and pragmatic, knows what it takes to keep sides up and adopts a squad accordingly.

He'll be back November/ December whan a Premiership team is in the doe-doe, and he'll get them out of it!

Recent interview on TalkSport says the £6 million he supposedly got from Everton was alot of nonesense.

Any doubters who'd like to borrow his book, let me know, I'll pop it in the post!

On 16/05/2018 at 14:44, Kacc said:

As it says on the tin. Couldn't hack it at Everton, just made me wonder if he hadn't been a dodgy dealer whether Ingurland would have qualified considering his style of football? 

Ludicrous, he was sacked after keeping them up!

• Like 1

Probably urban legend but it is said that when he was early into management with Notts County, he met up with Brian Clough to ask his advice about Football management. Clough told him to surround himself with the best possible people in each of the areas of the club - fitness, tactics, training, coaching, player development. Then told him to bugger off.

So he did.