Rangers pre season
2 2

76 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, still running man said:

So anybody got a score so far?

It’s finished 6-0. I suppose the potential down side to playing a lot of big teams in pre-season is the prospect of being repeatedly battered. 

6 minutes ago, still running man said:

So anybody got a score so far?

6-0

1 minute ago, QWERTYOP said:

It’s finished 6-0. I suppose the potential down side to playing a lot of big teams in pre-season is the prospect of being repeatedly battered. 

Grrrr

Beat me to it by seconds 😠😠😠😠

They've had an extra week of training, it's their second game and they should have much better players than us. Disappointing, yes but not exactly a disaster. 

6-0 was even worse than I feared. As an occasion, 9/10 - fabulous- won’t ever be many better ones for us. As a performance, a bit embarrassing 2/10.  The midfield looked OKish. Defence slow. Attack non-existent. I expected 4-0 not 6-0. Attendance magnificent. 

From the look of it, given how we played at the end of the season, Lowe seems to favour 1 up front which for me is baffling. It didn't work last season and can't think why he sees it as a viable formation.

For it to work you need lots of energy in midfield and down the wings and we don't have that...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, gameplan said:

From the look of it, given how we played at the end of the season, Lowe seems to favour 1 up front which for me is baffling. It didn't work last season and can't think why he sees it as a viable formation.

For it to work you need lots of energy in midfield and down the wings and we don't have that...

We are in very poor shape. The quality of signings will tell you that it will be a big achievement if we manage to stay in the football league. 

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Prestwichshakers said:

We are in very poor shape. The quality of signings will tell you that it will be a big achievement if we manage to stay in the football league. 

I agree but we have no choice. Our financial recklessness means we have to take the cheap route now, both players and manager. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, skyblueshaker said:

I agree but we have no choice. Our financial recklessness means we have to take the cheap route now, both players and manager. 

Agreed 100%. The shambolic recruitment by the club has seen us still left with a load of players who will be amongst the highest paid in league 2 for sitting on their arses. 

3 hours ago, QWERTYOP said:

No Beckford to be seen. Still injured? 😕

63B270DA-07BF-447F-B3B5-C7224D3E715A.jpeg

Beckford was there tonight but is not match fit. 

The defence was woeful. Midfield lacked creativity, Styles was perhaps the only plus. Playing 1 up front is a recipe for disaster unless your striker’s Didier Drogba. New goalie looked good other than the 2nd goal, looked like a howler but others said it was an unlucky bobble! 

Fantastic stadium and atmosphere. Comfortable pre-season matches are OK but taking into account the scoreline, you can’t ask for more than this as a fan. 

37 minutes ago, smancshakerisback said:

6-0 was even worse than I feared. As an occasion, 9/10 - fabulous- won’t ever be many better ones for us. As a performance, a bit embarrassing 2/10.  The midfield looked OKish. Defence slow. Attack non-existent. I expected 4-0 not 6-0. Attendance magnificent. 

If we go one up top next season, Lowe will lose my support very quickly, I'm afraid. I'm hopeful that we won't though. Beckford, Bunn, Dagnall, potentially this Gold fella, perhaps even Sang... That's a LOT of people fighting for one spot.

• Like 1

Think people are over-reacting here. 

Yes 6-0 and could have been about 10.. but sometimes you’ve got to appreciate the quality of the opposition.

Do you think Yeovil, Crewe etc would have fared any differently tonight?

Worth nothing that Dagnall was shite.

Edited by S85

3 minutes ago, S85 said:

Agree tbh. We just basically played a Europa League level side. A galaxy above us in quality. 6-0 not a huge surprise to me. I just hope we have the right mix of big teams and... well... not so big teams in our pre-season programme. Tonight was obviously fine for fitness, but we'll need to play a good number of smaller teams too to be able to benefit other things. Honing tactics, giving our attacking players a chance to get their eye in & that sort of thing. The club have done amazingly well to get the teams they have, but we have got to make sure the right balance is there. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, skyblueshaker said:

The defence was woeful. Midfield lacked creativity, Styles was perhaps the only plus. Playing 1 up front is a recipe for disaster unless your striker’s Didier Drogba. New goalie looked good other than the 2nd goal, looked like a howler but others said it was an unlucky bobble! 

Fantastic stadium and atmosphere. Comfortable pre-season matches are OK but taking into account the scoreline, you can’t ask for more than this as a fan. 

Saw the 2nd goal on Rangers TV. The shot was a daisy cutter but the ball hit a divot just in front of the keeper and took a horrible bounce in the air.

22 minutes ago, S85 said:

Yes 6-0 and could have been about 10.. but sometimes you’ve got to appreciate the quality of the opposition.

Do you think Yeovil, Crewe etc would have fared any differently tonight?

Worth nothing that Dagnall was shite.

Doubt Yeovil would have been invited

yeovil-town-fc-win-at-wembley-2-1369062584-view-0.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

1 minute ago, ronky said:

Doubt Yeovil would have been invited

yeovil-town-fc-win-at-wembley-2-1369062584-view-0.jpg

Haha good point!

2 minutes ago, S85 said:

Haha good point!

I've only just spotted the flag too, that really wasn't intentional!

58 minutes ago, skyblueshaker said:

Beckford not been match fit since November, which coincided with Lee Clark leaving. When exactly will he be fit? 

Just got back to our hotel. Apart from the scoreline, what a thoroughly enjoyable night. The Rangers fans were superb, the stadium magnificent, and the atmosphere was incredible seem as though it was a friendly against Bury! We have been educated in the politics of Scottish football and made to feel extremely welcome by all that we spoke to. 

The football, well, a bit of a none event on our part. Skarz got taught a lesson in the first half, Dawson was chasing shadows, Dagnall didn’t really touch the ball, Miller was way to far up field and kept getting caught behind, Moore...meh. But, the keeper looked decent, I don’t think any were his fault, Styles on the ball looked class, Shotton looks a real prospect and Gold needs to play against lesser opposition to see if he’s any good. I lost track with who was who in the second half with the amount of subs we made  

Overall, I wouldn’t look too much into this game. Rangers were far superior to us in every department. The fitness of chasing the ball around all night will do us good. I’m very glad I made the trip. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, seasideshaker said:

Just got back to our hotel. Apart from the scoreline, what a thoroughly enjoyable night. The Rangers fans were superb, the stadium magnificent, and the atmosphere was incredible seem as though it was a friendly against Bury! We have been educated in the politics of Scottish football and made to feel extremely welcome by all that we spoke to. 

The football, well, a bit of a none event on our part. Skarz got taught a lesson in the first half, Dawson was chasing shadows, Dagnall didn’t really touch the ball, Miller was way to far up field and kept getting caught behind, Moore...meh. But, the keeper looked decent, I don’t think any were his fault, Styles on the ball looked class, Shotton looks a real prospect and Gold needs to play against lesser opposition to see if he’s any good. I lost track with who was who in the second half with the amount of subs we made  

Overall, I wouldn’t look too much into this game. Rangers were far superior to us in every department. The fitness of chasing the ball around all night will do us good. I’m very glad I made the trip. 

I'm not sure how impartial that education will have been 😀

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

So reading between the lines the absence of Edwards, Bunn, O'Shea and Aldred seems to suggest we want them to find new clubs or is that my overactive mind playing tricks ?

5 hours ago, shakerite66 said:

So reading between the lines the absence of Edwards, Bunn, O'Shea and Aldred seems to suggest we want them to find new clubs or is that my overactive mind playing tricks ?

It certainly seems that way. In a way I will be gutted because it is the end of the " dream" for Day as we go to looking at scraps released from other league 2 clubs after wasting £12m along the way 

But we would have been in a pretty similar boat even if we had avoided relegation. The difference between league 1 and 2 is only maybe £500k , so maybe 2 months of our annual losses. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, shakerite66 said:

Bunn was in the warm up. 

The noise in that stadium was top draw. I thought Styles was a different class compared to his team mates. He starts the season like that and it won’t be long before someone comes in with an offer. I felt sorry for the lad in goal as it’s not going to fill him with much confidence having six put past him. Lowe should have swapped the keepers around at half time rather than wait for 85 minutes gone. No threat up front at all and as for Dawson forget it. If someone makes an offer for him get rid.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, QWERTYOP said:

If we go one up top next season, Lowe will lose my support very quickly, I'm afraid. I'm hopeful that we won't though. Beckford, Bunn, Dagnall, potentially this Gold fella, perhaps even Sang... That's a LOT of people fighting for one spot.

I wouldn't include Sang in the mix.Not up to it