NHS at 70
1 1

17 posts in this topic

It's still a remarkable institution and for me, one of our country's proudest achievements.¬† Without it I certainly wouldn't be around to post this.....so leaving politics etc to one side, Happy Birthday NHS ūüėä

• Like 1

3 hours ago, myrabury said:

It's still a remarkable institution and for me, one of our country's proudest achievements.¬† Without it I certainly wouldn't be around to post this.....so leaving politics etc to one side, Happy Birthday NHS ūüėä

Happy Birthday.

70 years ago there was  furious opposition to the  NHS from consultants, doctors, and the Conservative Party.

One of the fears underlying the Conservatives' opposition to the NHS was that when treatment was free, the feckless poor would rush in to strip the chemist shops of every pill on the shelves, then head for the dentists' surgeries to have their mouths filled with gold.

41 minutes ago, DR_PAUL said:

Happy Birthday.

70 years ago there was  furious opposition to the  NHS from consultants, doctors, and the Conservative Party.

One of the fears underlying the Conservatives' opposition to the NHS was that when treatment was free, the feckless poor would rush in to strip the chemist shops of every pill on the shelves, then head for the dentists' surgeries to have their mouths filled with gold.

Apparently the tories voted 21 times against the creation of the NHS. Says it all doesn't it?

Come on, let us not turn this into an excuse to slander the Tories otherwise it will detract away from the aim of the thread which was to praise one of our proudest institutions. 

As an aside SRM, I recall R11 made you aware of my friend's partner who went into a coma after suffering a stroke shortly before Christmas. She has since given birth to a healthy baby boy and is taking steps with a walking stick. She is meeting Andy Burnham today and will feature on Northwest Tonight, unsure which channel though. :-)

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Barry P said:

Come on, let us not turn this into an excuse to slander the Tories otherwise it will detract away from the aim of the thread which was to praise one of our proudest institutions. 

As an aside SRM, I recall R11 made you aware of my friend's partner who went into a coma after suffering a stroke shortly¬†before Christmas. She has since given birth to a healthy baby boy and is taking steps with a walking stick. She is meeting Andy Burnham today and will feature on Northwest Tonight, unsure which channel though. ūüôā

Paragraph 1, Quite right Barry and apologies but I feel very strongly about the way the NHS is heading under this government.

Paragraph 2, I certainly recall Rhianne and her situation. I alerted our church prayer chain (around 26 people) regarding the situation with her and her forthcoming child. I know that many more were praying for healing and safe birth and as you say, baby born well and Rhianne up and getting about. I in no way am trying to detract from the fantastic dedication and skills of all those medical staff involved then, and now in her rehabilitation.

Finally, I have as much to thank the NHS for as many, many folk. It was discovered some 24 years ago that I had inherited a kidney disease from my mum which is incurable. Year after year they have deteriorated up to today when the function is very low. I have been place on the transplant waiting list and in the meantime I have to attend Salford Royal every 3 months and give blood samples every month which are sent to Manchester Royal in a special package paid for by the NHS. I am not looking for sympathy etc in any way as I am otherwise fit (Lol) I know that I am in extremely good hands and have been visited and had dialysis explained and told I can have it at home if I wish. This NHS is, by far, the finest organisation in the world and one which is the standard by which all other countries fall short. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Barry P said:

As an aside SRM, I recall R11 made you aware of my friend's partner who went into a coma after suffering a stroke shortly¬†before Christmas. She has since given birth to a healthy baby boy and is taking steps with a walking stick. She is meeting Andy Burnham today and will feature on Northwest Tonight, unsure which channel though. ūüôā

Sounds exactly like the sort of thing Andy Burnham would get involved with; nice opportunity to cover himself in glory without doing any real work.

Sorry, I'm going off-piste again!

Happy Birthday, NHS.

• Haha 1

NHS excellent at critical care and a bit shambollic at other stuff ( personal experience.)

Like immigration it is difficult to have a rational conversation with people about reforms and improvements to the system when it comes to the NHS.

Toilet rolls at £60 and paracetamol at £20 type issues.

Staff thefts running at 2% ( over 2 billion pounds a year etc. )

Repeated scandals - lessons learned - procedures changed etc.

Many individuals do a magnificent job but many do not !

Throwing more and more money at the problem is not the answer.

Integrated social care and a vast increase in training of doctors and nurses locally would help.

I am not against the NHS I just think major change is needed.

Edited by preston exile
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, still running man said:

Paragraph 1, Quite right Barry and apologies but I feel very strongly about the way the NHS is heading under this government.

Paragraph 2, I certainly recall Rhianne and her situation. I alerted our church prayer chain (around 26 people) regarding the situation with her and her forthcoming child. I know that many more were praying for healing and safe birth and as you say, baby born well and Rhianne up and getting about. I in no way am trying to detract from the fantastic dedication and skills of all those medical staff involved then, and now in her rehabilitation.

Finally, I have as much to thank the NHS for as many, many folk. It was discovered some 24 years ago that I had inherited a kidney disease from my mum which is incurable. Year after year they have deteriorated up to today when the function is very low. I have been place on the transplant waiting list and in the meantime I have to attend Salford Royal every 3 months and give blood samples every month which are sent to Manchester Royal in a special package paid for by the NHS. I am not looking for sympathy etc in any way as I am otherwise fit (Lol) I know that I am in extremely good hands and have been visited and had dialysis explained and told I can have it at home if I wish. This NHS is, by far, the finest organisation in the world and one which is the standard by which all other countries fall short. 

I know your prayers were much appreciated by Jay and Rhianne. Even though I am not the religious type I was moved by the numbers that were quoted to be praying for her. I will try and keep you updated. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, preston exile said:

NHS excellent at critical care and a bit shambollic at other stuff ( personal experience.)

Like immigration it is difficult to have a rational conversation with people about reforms and improvements to the system when it comes to the NHS.

Integrated social care and a vast increase in training of doctors and nurses locally would help.

We may be poles apart politically but I agree with much of what you have to say, particularly your last three suggestions. 

• Like 1

On 05/07/2018 at 14:28, preston exile said:

Probably true, nurses are lauded with praise and probably quite rightly so in alot of circumstances, but there's never a 'bad nurse' no-one especially politicians, dare say so!

Underfunded well probably, but the underfunding would be  alot lot less if more people looked after themselves better through diet and exercise. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Maddentapin said:

Probably true, nurses are lauded with praise and probably quite rightly so in alot of circumstances, but there's never a 'bad nurse' no-one especially politicians, dare say so!

Underfunded well probably, but the underfunding would be  alot lot less if more people looked after themselves better through diet and exercise. 

Sadly I really do agree with you on that.  I love the NHS, it is an amazing institution and I can't imagine a decent society without it but there are sadly many people who view it as a right and not a privilege. You did miss off cigarettes as another prime cause of avoidable ill health.

• Like 2

IMO broadly speaking we certainly expect too much from our NHS and as a nation we need to think more carefully about our lifestyles and do much more to take care of ourselves.  And there must be millions (including myself at present) who don't earn enough to contribute via. direct taxation - although I certainly have done for many years in the past - simply 'taxing the rich' is not a viable solution.  I think we all agree that as fanastic an organisation as it is, it needs to change and perhaps more importantly, so do we.

• Like 1

On 11/07/2018 at 11:41, myrabury said:

IMO broadly speaking we certainly expect too much from our NHS and as a nation we need to think more carefully about our lifestyles and do much more to take care of ourselves.  And there must be millions (including myself at present) who don't earn enough to contribute via. direct taxation - although I certainly have done for many years in the past - simply 'taxing the rich' is not a viable solution.  I think we all agree that as fanastic an organisation as it is, it needs to change and perhaps more importantly, so do we.

Can millions of people really not afford to contribute to the NHS? Suppose we were asked to contribute say £5  a week there would be uproar, I can't afford, why should I, people would say. My question is how much do you spend on alcohol, cigarettes, mobile phone, sky without blinking an eye. People will happily spend silly money on what the want,but expect what they need for free.

1 hour ago, 1903 said:

Can millions of people really not afford to contribute to the NHS? Suppose we were asked to contribute say £5  a week there would be uproar, I can't afford, why should I, people would say. My question is how much do you spend on alcohol, cigarettes, mobile phone, sky without blinking an eye. People will happily spend silly money on what the want,but expect what they need for free.

Agreed.  However IMO this is already upon us.  If we want to live in a decent, civilized society we need to make hard choices. 

1 hour ago, 1903 said:

You're getting very close to sounding like one of my regular rants ūüėÄ

Quote from a channel 5 programme earlier today along the lines of "it's easy for people with a job but for me by the time I've paid for food, cigarettes, tobacco and whatever I don't have much left." Obviously C5 go for controversial figures but there are many who view some things as essentials that others view as luxuries.

3 hours ago, ronky said:

You're getting very close to sounding like one of my regular rants ūüėÄ

Quote from a channel 5 programme earlier today along the lines of "it's easy for people with a job but for me by the time I've paid for food, cigarettes, tobacco and whatever I don't have much left." Obviously C5 go for controversial figures but there are many who view some things as essentials that others view as luxuries.

If someone is reliant solely on Benefits what would be the point of giving them £5 to take it back off them?

The Taxation system .

Income

National insurance

Vat

Driving licence renewal

TV licence

Council tax

Road fund licence

Fuel duty

Alcohol duty

Stamp duty

Probably missed a few more

These collectively and collected properly should be set at enough to cover the needs.

Everyone should take a little time and examine their spending and calculate how much went to the Govt in a tax of some sort, then work out what the percentage of income it was.

The lower earners/paid pay a higher proportion of their money to the Govt than the wealthy.

We have even created a system now in which if you are wealthy, go to UNiversity  and get a high salary later you pay 40% income tax but if you are poor and do the same you will pay 49% income tax.

5 hours ago, stonekeeper said:

If someone is reliant solely on Benefits what would be the point of giving them £5 to take it back off them?

The Taxation system .

Income

National insurance

Vat

Driving licence renewal

TV licence

Council tax

Road fund licence

Fuel duty

Alcohol duty

Stamp duty

Probably missed a few more

These collectively and collected properly should be set at enough to cover the needs.

Everyone should take a little time and examine their spending and calculate how much went to the Govt in a tax of some sort, then work out what the percentage of income it was.

The lower earners/paid pay a higher proportion of their money to the Govt than the wealthy.

We have even created a system now in which if you are wealthy, go to UNiversity  and get a high salary later you pay 40% income tax but if you are poor and do the same you will pay 49% income tax.

My point was looking at the expectation of  "basics" rather than suggesting that benefit claimants should be taxed.

• Like 1