Prestwich Heys--the 35 year itch!

7 posts in this topic

Heys are back in the FA Cup after a 35 year absence.

They will host Hallmark Security League Premier Division Abbey Hey on 11th August in the Extra Preliminary Round.

The winners of the tie will then be at home to Radcliffe FC in the Preliminary Round

It will be the clubs first FA Cup tie since 1st October 1983 when they were beaten 1-0 by Southport at Grimshaws in a 2nd Qualifying Round tie having disposed of St Helens Town and Droylsden in the previous rounds.

PHAFC website.

Anyone who isn't travelling to Milton Kenyes Dons, see you there!

4 hours ago, Maddentapin said:

Heys are back in the FA Cup after a 35 year absence.

They will host Hallmark Security League Premier Division Abbey Hey on 11th August in the Extra Preliminary Round.

The winners of the tie will then be at home to Radcliffe FC in the Preliminary Round

It will be the clubs first FA Cup tie since 1st October 1983 when they were beaten 1-0 by Southport at Grimshaws in a 2nd Qualifying Round tie having disposed of St Helens Town and Droylsden in the previous rounds.

PHAFC website.

Anyone who isn't travelling to Milton Kenyes Dons, see you there!

More likely to reach the third round than us😌

• Haha 1

Just a reminder it's next Saturday peeps!

Anyone on for a pre-match pint in The Frigate (Holts) on Thatch Leach Lane, 5 minutes walk from Besses tram stop and 2 minutes from the ground please pm me.

Paradoxically, probably the nearest 'boozer' to where I live, and from memeory, I've only ever been in about twice!

On 10/08/2018 at 10:41, Sittingonthefence said:

Random question which you may not know the answer to, can I bring my dog to the game? 

I will contact the club to find out if you don't know. Cheers

Just seen your post and apologies I don't know the answer.

Cries of 'Wemberley Wemberley' were audible after the 90 minutes from the home support!

Prestwich won 2 -1, early goal for Heys which was quickly cancelled out and Heys went on to get a winner from a majestic header early in the 2nd half.

Abbey Hey, a Division higher,  threatened very little and I thought Heys did well and deserved their win.

FA rules state that you can't drink alcohol outside the club house which attracted alot of 'chunnering' from one PH official!

Radcliffe Boro home in the next round on the 25th August, which should attract a decent gate and will be Hey's biggest game on the Sandgate Road ground.

I'm away, but get down there if you can!

4 hours ago, Maddentapin said:

Just seen your post and apologies I don't know the answer.

Cries of 'Wemberley Wemberley' were audible after the 90 minutes from the home support!

Prestwich won 2 -1, early goal for Heys which was quickly cancelled out and Heys went on to get a winner from a majestic header early in the 2nd half.

Abbey Hey, a Division higher,  threatened very little and I thought Heys did well and deserved their win.

FA rules state that you can't drink alcohol outside the club house which attracted alot of 'chunnering' from one PH official!

Radcliffe Boro home in the next round on the 25th August, which should attract a decent gate and will be Hey's biggest game on the Sandgate Road ground.

I'm away, but get down there if you can!

Notice the BBC are streaming a game from each round, including the first qualifying round yesterday. PH v Radders would be a great choice for the next round, they seem to like tasty local derbies; wonder if they know how close they are?

50 minutes ago, Kacc said:

Notice the BBC are streaming a game from each round, including the first qualifying round yesterday. PH v Radders would be a great choice for the next round, they seem to like tasty local derbies; wonder if they know how close they are?

Good move by the BBC.

Plenty of BBC staff in North Manchester area I would think, so yes a chance of it being selected!

My interest in the preliminary rounds of the FA Cup started with a book by Brian James. A Jourey To Wembley, A Football Odyssey from Tividale To Wembley. 1976-77.

James starts with Tividale a non league Midlands side in the preliminary round and follows them, then the team that beats them (Telford United when Geoff Hurst was in charge) and continues with Matlock Town, Carlise United who Liverpool were the victors over in the fourth round and eventually resulting in a Manchester United v Liverpool final plus the epilogue of Liverpool beating Borussia Munchengladback in the European Cup Final.

It's not so much the match reports, but James goes behind the scenes with each club and the characters behind them,  in the build up to the games as the competition progresses.

A format that has often been copied, but never bettered IMO.

Have a look on E-BAY for it.

Edited by Maddentapin