Shapes n’ Shapes: August 2018

9 posts in this topic

58 minutes ago, Spee said:

Excellent, descriptive and well thought through analysis. I thought your previous piece on Bury`s season and in particular Lowe was superb as well.  👍

Appreciate the time spent and the quality of your articles.

Edited by ExiledinEdgeley
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, Spee said:

Interesting that. I took two things from it:

1. It is going to be impossible to keep all 6 strikers happy.
  2. If Danns gets injured then we might as well fold the football club*.

*could be mitigated by signing at least 1 defensive midfielder on loan, and soon.

Edited by Shakermav

31 minutes ago, Shakermav said:

*could be mitigated by signing at least 1 defensive midfielder on loan, and soon.

Undoubtedly. I tend to think four is about right. And even then, somebody is probably not going to get enough game time to keep them happy unless they're a yoof maybe. But from our point of view (and purely thinking in football, and not financial terms!) I'd rather be overstocked than understocked with strikers. Gives room for somebody to fail and competition means anyone who has the shirt (in theory!) has to work hard to keep it on merit. 

41 minutes ago, Shakermav said:

Classing it as 6 strikers is ridiculous. Sang is never gonna get a game in our first team and doubt he'd expect to. Keeping him happy shouldn't be a problem as he doesn't look anywhere near close to the standard needed to being a pro from what I've seen. He should just enjoy the ride. Omotayo and Archer are probably aware coming from non-league and they're going to have to fight for their place. Particularly Gold will know that his role is likely to come in the form of an impact sub. That leaves Telford, Dagnall and Beckford fighting it out for potentially 2 starting shirts which seems perfectly healthy to me. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cul De Sac said:

Classing it as 6 strikers is ridiculous.  

1. Sang
  2. Beckford
  3. Telford
  4. Archer
  5. Omotayo
  6. Dagnall

That's 6 strikers in our first team squad, each with a first team squad number.

I tend to agree on Sang, he should move out on loan again.

But the other 5 will want to be in that team, which means 3, maybe 4, of them are going to be unhappy. Competition is healthy, but only to an extent.

On 10/08/2018 at 14:59, Spee said:

Not sure about the 4-3-3, feel it can leave the central striker isolated. Sheff United work well at the back with a 3, they have the 2 'outside' centre halves stepping out into wide positions to compliment the WBs to provide width. You mention Thompson providing cover to the CDMs, and have heard mention of O'Connell's passing ability. We seem more organised and solid with a 3, although a back four can still work against sides in our league where they don't have the skill of modern sides to undo the back four systems.

ps Great article, always appreciate your posts.