Craig Nixon
1 1

20 posts in this topic

Don't know if anyone remembers this guy,  he was the keeper that replaced Gary Kelly when he got injured by McGinlay back in 1993. Doing a little piece on him for a blog I write for and wondering if anyone can remember where he came from or, indeed, where he went after. Tried 'the bible' and it has nothing about him other than he made that sub appearance. Any help would be gratefully received!

Edited by the beed
Typo

1 hour ago, the beed said:

Don't know if anyone remembers this guy,  he was the keeper that replaced Gary Kelly when he got injured by McGinlay back in 1993. Doing a little piece on him for a blog I write for and wondering if anyone can remember where he came from or, indeed, where he went after. Tried 'the bible' and it has nothing about him other than he made that sub appearance. Any help would be gratefully received!

I remember him coming on for Kelly, and had to borrow Kelly’s gloves.

It was his one and only appearance  for Bury, other than that, no idea..!

44 minutes ago, scales of justice said:

I remember him coming on for Kelly, and had to borrow Kelly’s gloves.

It was his one and only appearance  for Bury, other than that, no idea..!

Yeah, that's pretty much all i have too!

I want to say he came from Altrincham because of the John King connection but that's probably wrong. He probably did come from non-league thanks to King but I'm not sure about his previous club. Try asking Nick Daws on Twitter, he might remember.

7 hours ago, James said:

I want to say he came from Altrincham because of the John King connection but that's probably wrong. He probably did come from non-league thanks to King but I'm not sure about his previous club. Try asking Nick Daws on Twitter, he might remember.

Cheers James , will try that.

31 minutes ago, Sad Anorak said:

Craig Nixon was originally from Blackpool, but his previous club was Rochdale.

Do you know if he was released at the end of 93/94 or was he on a short term contract that wasn't renewed when it expired mid-season? I told the beed I'd go to Bury Archives on Saturday morning to look through the old Bury Timeses for more info.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sad Anorak said:

Craig Nixon was originally from Blackpool, but his previous club was Rochdale.

That's brilliant Ian, thank you for that. 

6 minutes ago, Sad Anorak said:

Born in Blackpool 24 December 1971.

Cheers. Where did you get this info from? Do we know where he went after us, other clubs etc?

Edited by the beed

6 minutes ago, the beed said:

Cheers. Where did you get this info from? Do we know where he went after us, other clubs etc?

His d.o.b. is In the Bury FC Official History Book under players who have only played for Bury in the League Cup. He also does not appear in my Players Football League Records book, so he has never played a League game for anybody, but where he went, no idea. He would have been only on a non contract basis at Bury.

2 hours ago, James said:

Do you know if he was released at the end of 93/94 or was he on a short term contract that wasn't renewed when it expired mid-season? I told the beed I'd go to Bury Archives on Saturday morning to look through the old Bury Timeses for more info.

Non-contract basis at Bury and disappeared after the Bolton game. We got another non-contract keeper for the Saturday game at Scunthorpe a few days later in Paul Collings from Altrincham and he then disappeared and we  signed Lee Bracey from Halifax for the next game and he stayed in the team.

• Like 1

Cheers Ian.

Mr Beed, have you tried joining a group on Facebook for people from Blackpool? If there's one along the lines of Bury Olden Days which has thousands of members, you might be able to get a direct link to him. I'd definitely consider giving it a try.

There's a Facebook group called History of Blackpool with 20,000 members. I'm sure you'd find a route to him if you posted a message in there.

13 minutes ago, James said:

There's a Facebook group called History of Blackpool with 20,000 members. I'm sure you'd find a route to him if you posted a message in there.

Cheers James, will have a look at that later.

33 minutes ago, Sad Anorak said:

His d.o.b. is In the Bury FC Official History Book under players who have only played for Bury in the League Cup. He also does not appear in my Players Football League Records book, so he has never played a League game for anybody, but where he went, no idea. He would have been only on a non contract basis at Bury.

Cheers Ian, forgot about that bit in the book - thought it strange there was nothing on him.

39 minutes ago, the beed said:

Cheers James, will have a look at that later.

Couldn't help myself. I've joined the group and posted a request.

18 minutes ago, James said:

Couldn't help myself. I've joined the group and posted a request.

I've sent a joining request but they haven't come back to me yet.

13 minutes ago, the beed said:

I've sent a joining request but they haven't come back to me yet.

As you'll see in your Facebook inbox, we've found his cousin via my post.

• Like 1