Bury FC Message Board
still running man

Brexit explained (specifically for Ryan)

What a wonderfully one sided version of "the truth". It is the sort of extremist nonsense that irked many in the build up to the referendum. Anyone who can portray only positives or negatives with the decision to leave probably shouldn't be listened to!

2 hours ago, ronky said:

What a wonderfully one sided version of "the truth". It is the sort of extremist nonsense that irked many in the build up to the referendum. Anyone who can portray only positives or negatives with the decision to leave probably shouldn't be listened to!

Could you please put a link to the Positive side of a WTO arrangement not pointed out in the above link which does show the positives (we will be in control)

Maybe a list of products that can be imported into the EU with zero tariffs for example?

I can actually see positives for the EU when we leave, their only negative is losing our money.

But wihout a Customs union and FTA (probably not available without freedom of movement?) I cannot see how Brexit will be positive for the UK whilst we have a Land border with the EU.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ronky said:

Perhaps you could enlighten us all with the positives of leave and possibly point out any of the things that the author has said that is untrue?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stonekeeper said:

Could you please put a link to the Positive side of a WTO arrangement not pointed out in the above link which does show the positives (we will be in control)

Maybe a list of products that can be imported into the EU with zero tariffs for example?

I can actually see positives for the EU when we leave, their only negative is losing our money.

But wihout a Customs union and FTA (probably not available without freedom of movement?) I cannot see how Brexit will be positive for the UK whilst we have a Land border with the EU.

What's the positives for the EU? They don't exactly carry us do they.

10 minutes ago, 1903 said:

What's the positives for the EU? They don't exactly carry us do they.

Well EU members not the EU as an entity could benefit

A potential increase in the production of Cars. Japanese (Honda. Toyota Nissan)  Indian (Jaguar/Land rover) and French (Vauxhall) car manufacturers could move production there

No longer needng to charge VAT on exports to the UK. So EU Companies could increase their profit margins

Edited by stonekeeper

Well EU members not the EU as an entity could benefit

A potential increase in the production of Cars. Japanese (Honda. Toyota Nissan)  Indian (Jaguar/Land rover) and French (Vauxhall) car manufacturers could move production there

No longer needng to charge VAT on exports to the UK. So EU Companies could increase their profit margins

Could!

6 minutes ago, 1903 said:

Could!

I only say could because there is still the possibility that we agree to the terms of a Customs union and FTA agreement with the EU.

17 hours ago, ronky said:

My main reason for posting this was to highlight (which it has done) something the people of this nation were never made aware of at the time of the referendum. It is the opinion of many folk, of both sides of the argument, that the leavers won due to 2 things. (1) Immigration and (2) that huge amount of money we would have to spend on the NHS on leaving. I would have voted remain had I been eligible. As posted above, I really don't see many positives from leaving and I have yet to hear a decent argument from any of those who led the charge to the cliff edge. No matter which side of the divide we are all on, it is without doubt, in my humble opinion, leading us into uncharted (rough) waters.

On 16 October 2018 at 10:36, still running man said:

My main reason for posting this was to highlight (which it has done) something the people of this nation were never made aware of at the time of the referendum. It is the opinion of many folk, of both sides of the argument, that the leavers won due to 2 things. (1) Immigration and (2) that huge amount of money we would have to spend on the NHS on leaving. I would have voted remain had I been eligible. As posted above, I really don't see many positives from leaving and I have yet to hear a decent argument from any of those who led the charge to the cliff edge. No matter which side of the divide we are all on, it is without doubt, in my humble opinion, leading us into uncharted (rough) waters.

Its not that you haven't heard decent arguments over the last few years, it's just that you don't agree with them. As many don't. 

But... The majority did, unfortunately Mrs May is making a right dogs dinner of it. She's bought into the new remain tactic of weaponising Irish border. It's a totally inflated issue. Goods pass every day despite different currency, tax rates etc. We could be having a free trade agreement with financial services attached as Donald Tusk has suggested, but Mrs May is stubbornly continuing with Chequers.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Shaker Ryan said:

Its not that you haven't heard decent arguments over the last few years, it's just that you don't agree with them. As many don't. 

But... The majority did, unfortunately Mrs May is making a right dogs dinner of it. She's bought into the new remain tactic of weaponising Irish border. It's a totally inflated issue. Goods pass every day despite different currency, tax rates etc. We could be having a free trade agreement with financial services attached as Donald Tusk has suggested, but Mrs May is stubbornly continuing with Chequers.

Please point out these 'decent arguments' to me Ryan. Apart from mentioning immigration, border controland bags full of dosh for the NHS !! :) 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Shaker Ryan said:

But... The majority did, unfortunately Mrs May is making a right dogs dinner of it. She's bought into the new remain tactic of weaponising Irish border. It's a totally inflated issue. 1 Goods pass every day despite different currency, tax rates etc. We could be having 2 a free trade agreement with financial services attached as Donald Tusk has suggested, but Mrs May is stubbornly continuing with Chequers.

1 Between which countries?

2 By “Canada plus plus plus,” Tusk is referring to a souped-up free-trade agreement — like the one that the EU has with Canada but with add-ons. However, such an arrangement would require Northern Ireland to remain within the bloc’s customs territory and subject to some EU regulations to avoid the need for customs checks at the border with the Republic of Ireland.

The "Irish border issue" has been inflated by the EU for selfish reasons.

It is a matter of record that nobody wants a "hard border".  The EU committed to this in 2016; the British and Irish governments are also committed to free movement.  The EU uses advanced technology to enforce customs regulations throughout Europe.  The Good Friday Agreement is partially predicated on the notion of free movement across the border between NI and the Irish Republic.

The EU is using a morally-weighted argument - placing responsibility for any future Irish conflict on our shoulders - to enforce it's economic hegemony over Britain.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RADCLIFFE LOYAL said:

It is a matter of record that nobody wants a "hard border".  The EU committed to this in 2016; the British and Irish governments are also committed to free movement.  The EU uses advanced technology to enforce customs regulations throughout Europe.  The Good Friday Agreement is partially predicated on the notion of free movement across the border between NI and the Irish Republic.

The EU is using a morally-weighted argument - placing responsibility for any future Irish conflict on our shoulders - to enforce it's economic hegemony over Britain.

How was Freedom of movement of people reconciled between Eire and the UK in the idea of 2016 whilst stopping freedom of movement from the EU?

It is easy for the EU to enforce Customs regulations within the EU because there is freedom of movement within the EU for goods and people.

How was Freedom of movement of people reconciled between Eire and the UK in the idea of 2016 whilst stopping freedom of movement from the EU?

It is easy for the EU to enforce Customs regulations within the EU because there is freedom of movement within the EU for goods and people.

Not sure what you mean by "....the idea of 2016".

3 minutes ago, RADCLIFFE LOYAL said:

Not sure what you mean by "....the idea of 2016".

What were they intending on committing too when we were about to vote on an option of ending it sort of idea?

14 minutes ago, stonekeeper said:

What were they intending on committing too when we were about to vote on an option of ending it sort of idea?

You make a very good point.  Did anybody consider this in 2016?.  I think there is provision within the legislation which is based upon the Good Friday Agreement - the relationship between NI and the Republic of Ireland is treated as a "special case" in respect of freedom of movement.  This will be part of the legislative settlement post Brexit. 

2 minutes ago, RADCLIFFE LOYAL said:

You make a very good point.  Did anybody consider this in 2016?.  I think there is provision within the legislation which is based upon the Good Friday Agreement - the relationship between NI and the Republic of Ireland is treated as a "special case" in respect of freedom of movement.  This will be part of the legislative settlement post Brexit. 

So anyone who voted "Leave" to  end the freedom of movement of people from the EU were wasting their time from the outset.

• Like 1

So anyone who voted "Leave" to  end the freedom of movement of people from the EU were wasting their time from the outset.

Yes and no!.  The relationship between NI and the Republic of Ireland is (sensibly) a special case.  I think many Leavers were focusing on movement from the European continent to GB.  

• Like 1

Which is why people should not be asked to decide Government policy. They should just be asked to pick the Government they think will do the best and leave them to it.

Because people of the "Continent of Europe" have free access to Eire?

On ‎25‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 16:09, RADCLIFFE LOYAL said:

perhaps we should adopt the Monaco border model for NI/Eire- a roundabout with a boulder on it!! You don't hear Junker/Tusk et al taking France to task on that border.

Edited by Tubwash

Sir Jim Ratcliffe, Britain’s wealthiest man and a key Brexit backer, has decided to leave the UK and live in Monaco.

Despite his previous claims that the UK would be “perfectly successful” outside of the European Union (EU), the billionaire has chosen to leave the country of his birth and move to the principality, whose residents do not pay income tax, on the Mediterranean coast. 

Sir Jim, founder and CEO of the chemicals giant Ineos, was named as the richest man in Britain in this year’s Sunday Times rich list, with an estimated fortune of £21bn. 

He was knighted earlier this summer.

Before the 2016 referendum, Sir Jim made it clear he supported Britain’s exit from the bloc and claimed that the UK would prosper if it did. 

“The Brits are perfectly capable of managing the Brits and don’t need Brussels telling them how to manage things,” he told The Sunday Times“I just don’t believe in the concept of a United States of Europe. It’s not viable.” 

While Ineos will remain headquartered in London, two of the company’s other top executives, Andy Currie and John Reece, will join Sir Jim in Monaco, according to The Daily Telegraph

Motivations for their relocation have not been made clear, but Sir Jim has previously complained about Britain’s tax regime. Ineos moved its headquarters to Switzerland in 2010 for four years to cut its corporation tax bill.

Monaco is also known for its advantageous tax regime. 

How many more 'rats' will desert the ship before end of March. These folk really make me sick!!

1 hour ago, still running man said:

Sir Jim Ratcliffe, Britain’s wealthiest man and a key Brexit backer, has decided to leave the UK and live in Monaco.

Despite his previous claims that the UK would be “perfectly successful” outside of the European Union (EU), the billionaire has chosen to leave the country of his birth and move to the principality, whose residents do not pay income tax, on the Mediterranean coast. 

Sir Jim, founder and CEO of the chemicals giant Ineos, was named as the richest man in Britain in this year’s Sunday Times rich list, with an estimated fortune of £21bn. 

He was knighted earlier this summer.

Before the 2016 referendum, Sir Jim made it clear he supported Britain’s exit from the bloc and claimed that the UK would prosper if it did. 

“The Brits are perfectly capable of managing the Brits and don’t need Brussels telling them how to manage things,” he told The Sunday Times“I just don’t believe in the concept of a United States of Europe. It’s not viable.” 

While Ineos will remain headquartered in London, two of the company’s other top executives, Andy Currie and John Reece, will join Sir Jim in Monaco, according to The Daily Telegraph

Motivations for their relocation have not been made clear, but Sir Jim has previously complained about Britain’s tax regime. Ineos moved its headquarters to Switzerland in 2010 for four years to cut its corporation tax bill.

Monaco is also known for its advantageous tax regime. 

How many more 'rats' will desert the ship before end of March. These folk really make me sick!!

Sounds a good story but not sure I believe it, as you need to be an accepted Monegasque to get tax benefits unless the Prince grants it to you. Just rocking up isn't going to cut it.