Bury FC Message Board
still running man

Brexit explained (specifically for Ryan)

2 hours ago, exiile said:

With a view to what exactly?

None of this mess can be attributed to anyone else but May and her totally disastrous handling of the outcome of the referendum. We can't ignore the fact that, for two years, she has presided over a complete failure of the political process.

There are so many failures you can point to: Her appointment of idiots such as Davies, Johnson and Grayling etc; her failure to recognise the trap of Ireland's border until it was too late; her drawing up of red lines that made it impossible to have an acceptable agreement with the EU; Her failure to either control or appease the hard line Brexiters; the pointless £1bn bribing of the DUP who then voted her deal down; the deal that she lost in parliament twice and, frankly, the demeaning of our country in her feeble shuttling and pleading around the EU States.

Even the Americans think the whole thing is nuts and this is the country that we are apparently going to rely on for great trade deals into the future!

I suppose your guess about May's "way forward" is as good as mine!.

I would argue that the "political process" should have been about enacting the will of the people.  May has undermined every one of her "red lines", so any dislocation between Parliament and the people is her responsibility - in conjunction with those MPs who disregarded our will.

There is a (media-supported) tendency to use the term "hardline" to describe those MPs who have tried to act upon our instruction.  One BBC journalist has drawn an entirely false parallel between the ERG and the FN in France.  It could be argued that those MPs who have used arcane rules and Parliamentary procedure to thwart Brexit are "hardline".

I don't think the DUP can be accused of trousering the May money!.  As far as I can see, it is being spent on infrastructure and services which will benefit all the people of Northern Ireland (one of the poorest parts of Britain).

The US commentariat has a point, but I don't think many of them will be involved in future trade deals.

31 minutes ago, RADCLIFFE LOYAL said:

I don't think the DUP can be accused of trousering the May money!.  As far as I can see, it is being spent on infrastructure and services which will benefit all the people of Northern Ireland (one of the poorest parts of Britain).

It doesn't matter what way you wrap it. The money was never going to be given to NI - it was offered as "bribe" for votes and nothing else. And that's worked well for her.