Badger cull
1 1

28 posts in this topic

Hunting, culling, conservation, call it what you will needs to stop.

Unbelievably, I saw a fox hunt in Buxton on Saturday. A FOX HUNT! That nonsense was supposedly banned in 2005 and yet there they were, bold as brass.

What is it about humans that makes them think our place on earth is more sacred than an animals? Knocks me sick.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, RammyShaker said:

Unbelievably, I saw a fox hunt in Buxton on Saturday. A FOX HUNT! That nonsense was supposedly banned in 2005 and yet there they were, bold as brass.

What is it about humans that makes them think our place on earth is more sacred than an animals? Knocks me sick.

The original foxhunting ban was rushed through parliament and the law surrounding the ban has more holes in it than a Swiss cheese.  IMO it needs tightening up.  Fox hunting (IMO) is archaic, barbaric and unnecessary.

Badger culling has been hugely controversial and for good reason.  Poor old Brock is supposed to be a protected, native species.  The issue boils down to cost - government isn't prepared to invest what is required for an effective vaccination programme and small scale farmers can't afford to do it.  The lies surrounding how supposedly effective the badger cull is/has been are staggering.

Culls of certain herds eg Deer are certainly required from time to time if disease or destruction of habitat for other species is an issue. If done effectively and for the correct reasons by skilled marksmen; herds remain healthy and viable.

6 hours ago, RammyShaker said:

it was probably a drag hunt. I would be amazed if it was a banned activity.

14 minutes ago, myrabury said:

The original foxhunting ban was rushed through parliament and the law surrounding the ban has more holes in it than a Swiss cheese.  IMO it needs tightening up.  Fox hunting (IMO) is archaic, barbaric and unnecessary.

Badger culling has been hugely controversial and for good reason.  Poor old Brock is supposed to be a protected, native species.  The issue boils down to cost - government isn't prepared to invest what is required for an effective vaccination programme and small scale farmers can't afford to do it.  The lies surrounding how supposedly effective the badger cull is/has been are staggering.

Culls of certain herds eg Deer are certainly required from time to time if disease or destruction of habitat for other species is an issue. If done effectively and for the correct reasons by skilled marksmen; herds remain healthy and viable.

that is spot on Myra IMO

11 hours ago, Tubwash said:

that is spot on Myra IMO

I saw my first hare when I was a child on one of our many family walks 'over the fields' at the back of where we used to live - in Radcliffe!  I've been 'animal mad' all my life.  I also try to understand various aspects of animal management - it helped that we were brought up in the vicinity of several small working farms (most of which are now long gone, sadly).  It's a difficult topic for many reasons and I really do appreciate why people on both sides of the debate are passionate about the subject.  Having talked to the real experts, including those who manage and preserve the heritage of the wild white cattle in Northumberland to a conversation with a long retired local farmer who lost his cattle to an outbreak of Brucellosis many years ago (I still remember the smell of the burned, empty fields at the time); it just seems to me that the whole subject has become highly politicized over the decades (as I've already demonstrated by stating my stance on fox hunting - I just can't come to terms with this issue!).  What has made me really angry is the deliberate skewing of statistics in the case of bovine TB transmission.  We're in serious danger of losing our iconic badger population - and all because of cost and an unwillingness for government to admit that it got this policy wrong.

So, essentially - neither totally 'anti' nor totally 'pro', because there are absolutely valid reasons why some actions need to be taken concerning wild and managed livestock!

13 hours ago, Tubwash said:

You'd be amazed, really? It goes on all over the country still.

Same strain of idiot that will go to the Serengeti and hunt Lions, Elephants and Giraffe only wearing a different hat.

20 hours ago, RammyShaker said:

Do you really think animals treat animals better than we humans do 

1 hour ago, RammyShaker said:

You'd be amazed, really? It goes on all over the country still.

Same strain of idiot that will go to the Serengeti and hunt Lions, Elephants and Giraffe only wearing a different hat.

I agree with you on this.  There is enough hard evidence to suggest that some hunts take place in spite of restrictions.  That's why IMO the law regarding fox hunting needs to be revisited and clarified.

I've never understood the so called trophy hunter mentality.  I could make one or two analogies on here but would certainly get moderated.

28 minutes ago, 1903 said:

Again (IMO) that's not the point.  As humans we're the only species in a position to make rational and responsible judgement calls.  Additionally many species world wide are under threat of extinction thanks in no small measure to our propensity to bleed the earth dry of resources and destroy species habitats.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 1903 said:

Are you suggesting that because a cat (for example) which is incapable of cognitive thinking, might catch a bird or a mouse for sport, it's ok for humans to go spraying bullets into elephants and lions in the Masai Mara?

• Thanks 1

Just putting aside humans/animals debate ,nature is very cruel and the predator/ prey balance is ever changing, Darwin nailed it with the survival of the fittest and it spans bird, animal ,fish and insect life etc.

We had loads of rabbits here then the fox population got large and as a result no rabbits then ultimately no foxes. Every year we lost poultry to the foxes and they kill everything and take only one which meant we could not free range them until recently. If you want to see cruelty seeing loads of dead hens and feathers all over the place and any survivors perched high and traumatised that is a sight you cant 'unsee'.

Big hunting stuff is vile in my view-  a rich mans playtime  that should be banned across the world. Animals however are dying every day for us to eat and as a meat eater I admit I am part of that cycle.

My thing is that any animals should get the best treatment and care during life and at death for example we need excellent welfare standards at slaughterhouses and no 'non stunned' halal/kosher  practices. If you compare the amount of animals killed by hunters think of the millions of animals that are killed in such a barbaric way- this is the biggest issue about animal cruelty that we need to address by a country mile IMO

• Like 5

On 13/11/2018 at 14:41, RammyShaker said:

It's only like brexit, if the elite want to fox hunt the elite will keep us in Europe

13 hours ago, kingcreo-sote said:

It's only like brexit, if the elite want to fox hunt the elite will keep us in Europe

Brexit is borders, money & trade. Fox/Trophy Hunting is the lives of innocent animals. I know which I care more about.

2 hours ago, RammyShaker said:

Brexit is borders, money & trade. Fox/Trophy Hunting is the lives of innocent animals. I know which I care more about.

I agree

Controversial Boxing Day hunt given the go-ahead despite ‘saboteurs’ fear

https://www.edp24.co.uk/news/environment/dunston-harriers-boxing-day-hunt-approved-by-wymondham-town-council-1-5779096?utm_campaign=apester&utm_source=twitter

2 hours ago, stonekeeper said:

thanks SK that makes it crystal clear that this hunt is legal and a drag hunt . What's so worrying is that folks believe what they want to- they see horses and hounds and think foxes will be harmed. No, as I said earlier there are so many misconceptions.

On 14 November 2018 at 17:23, Tubwash said:

Just putting aside humans/animals debate ,nature is very cruel and the predator/ prey balance is ever changing, Darwin nailed it with the survival of the fittest and it spans bird, animal ,fish and insect life etc.

We had loads of rabbits here then the fox population got large and as a result no rabbits then ultimately no foxes. Every year we lost poultry to the foxes and they kill everything and take only one which meant we could not free range them until recently. If you want to see cruelty seeing loads of dead hens and feathers all over the place and any survivors perched high and traumatised that is a sight you cant 'unsee'.

Big hunting stuff is vile in my view-  a rich mans playtime  that should be banned across the world. Animals however are dying every day for us to eat and as a meat eater I admit I am part of that cycle.

My thing is that any animals should get the best treatment and care during life and at death for example we need excellent welfare standards at slaughterhouses and no 'non stunned' halal/kosher  practices. If you compare the amount of animals killed by hunters think of the millions of animals that are killed in such a barbaric way- this is the biggest issue about animal cruelty that we need to address by a country mile IMO

You've summed up my thoughts on this well. 

12 hours ago, Tubwash said:

thanks SK that makes it crystal clear that this hunt is legal and a drag hunt . What's so worrying is that folks believe what they want to- they see horses and hounds and think foxes will be harmed. No, as I said earlier there are so many misconceptions.

Fox Hunting is often dressed up as Drag Hunting to get around the ban.

"No sir, we didn't catch anything, just a good ol' fashioned drag hunt. Nothing to see here".

And who can prove either way?

4 hours ago, RammyShaker said:

Fox Hunting is often dressed up as Drag Hunting to get around the ban.

"No sir, we didn't catch anything, just a good ol' fashioned drag hunt. Nothing to see here".

And who can prove either way?

This is why the fox hunting bill needs revisiting and if necessary, loopholes to be closed.  However, given that police resources are stretched to breaking point, it would still be nigh on impossible to deal with those who flout the law.

Not linked to the badgers, but did you read that about the polar bear shot dead after it approached some day trippers from a cruise ship? 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/world-europe-44996873

As ever, Ricky Gervais was quite vocal on the subject. 

On 16/11/2018 at 17:06, Barry P said:

Not linked to the badgers, but did you read that about the polar bear shot dead after it approached some day trippers from a cruise ship? 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/world-europe-44996873

As ever, Ricky Gervais was quite vocal on the subject. 

Yeah I saw that mate, breaks my heart stuff like that. 

It’s hard following Gervais on Twitter at time but the more people putting it out there the bigger the uproar and that can only ever be a good thing. 

• Like 1

On 13/11/2018 at 20:54, myrabury said:

Depends on which fox is being hunted and ripped to shreds 

download.jpg

On 13/11/2018 at 21:07, Tubwash said:

In this day of trans rights I do not see how that is acceptable! It can't be much of a sport either, I can't imagine they can run very fast in those heels!

9916438-3x2-700x467.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1