Remember the Time The Oldham Chairman Suggested This Merge?
1 1

7 posts in this topic

Haha !

I remember this.

My favourite line .....

”Almost immediately, it was pointed out that all three clubs would lose evidence of their past history. Bury with their two FA Cup wins, Oldham’s Littlewoods Cup final and FA Cup semi final appearances and whatever Rochdale can claim fame to.”

• Like 3

11 hours ago, shakerste said:

Haha !

I remember this.

My favourite line .....

”Almost immediately, it was pointed out that all three clubs would lose evidence of their past history. Bury with their two FA Cup wins, Oldham’s Littlewoods Cup final and FA Cup semi final appearances and whatever Rochdale can claim fame to.”

The most number of times a club has been re-elected?

1 hour ago, Kacc said:

The most number of times a club has been re-elected?

THIRD DIVISION NORTH/SOUTH RE-ELECTION

WALSALL 7

EXETER 6

HALIFAX 6

NEWPORT 6

ACCRINGTON S 5

BARROW 5

GILLINGHAM 5

ROCHDALE 4

NORWICH CITY 4

FOURTH DIVISION RE-ELECTION

HARTLEPOOL 11

CREWE 7

BARROW 6

HALIFAX 6

ROCHDALE 6

SOUTHPORT 6

YORK 6

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DR_PAUL said:

THIRD DIVISION NORTH/SOUTH RE-ELECTION

WALSALL 7

EXETER 6

HALIFAX 6

NEWPORT 6

ACCRINGTON S 5

BARROW 5

GILLINGHAM 5

ROCHDALE 4

NORWICH CITY 4

FOURTH DIVISION RE-ELECTION

HARTLEPOOL 11

CREWE 7

BARROW 6

HALIFAX 6

ROCHDALE 6

SOUTHPORT 6

YORK 6

Damn, damn and damnation.

Can't Rochdale win ANYTHING????

A couple of Bolton fans on their MB saying they should have looked into a proposed ground share with us in Radcliffe rather than building the Breezeblock. Must admit I'd never heard this one before, must have been working abroad at the time, but apparently Terry Robinson, to his credit, said "I'm not sharing a ground with that bloody lot" and that was that. Manchester North was always a non starter as the proposed ground was going to be in Oldham and Bury along with Rochdale would have effectively disappeared, apart from one or two cherry picked players. Also, as I remember, the merged team would have had to play in the same league as the lowest ranked of the teams which would have been Rochdale in division 4, relegation for two of the teams in other words. Another cracker from that era was proposed by the late visionary and crook Robert Maxwell who wanted to merge Oxford and Reading to become the Thames Valley Royals. 

53 minutes ago, RNaj1 said:

A couple of Bolton fans on their MB saying they should have looked into a proposed ground share with us in Radcliffe rather than building the Breezeblock. Must admit I'd never heard this one before, must have been working abroad at the time, but apparently Terry Robinson, to his credit, said "I'm not sharing a ground with that bloody lot" and that was that. Manchester North was always a non starter as the proposed ground was going to be in Oldham and Bury along with Rochdale would have effectively disappeared, apart from one or two cherry picked players. Also, as I remember, the merged team would have had to play in the same league as the lowest ranked of the teams which would have been Rochdale in division 4, relegation for two of the teams in other words. Another cracker from that era was proposed by the late visionary and crook Robert Maxwell who wanted to merge Oxford and Reading to become the Thames Valley Royals. 

Interesting, and unfortunately I'm old enough to remember all these proposals. 

The Bolton one strikes out as, if my measuring tool is correct, they now play further away from Bolton town hall than they would have sharing a ground with us somewhere around Radcliffe! In fact they may well soon be asking if a bigger and more financially sound club, Chorley, would like to share the Reecon!! 

Where would Bolton be now if Eddie Davies hadn't bankrolled them, and how much of the Premiergreed windfall has gone - and where did it go?