Greater Manchester Spatial Framework
2 2

34 posts in this topic

15 hours ago, RADCLIFFE LOYAL said:

My major concern is for Elton.  A housing estate was built in the Bury and Bolton Road area last year.  It takes up about 30% of the land between Ainscow's Farm and the road.  Further development will encroach on the remaining area of farmland and the land between Bury Road and Elton reservoir.  This land - and the reservoir - support breeding birds and birds in passage.  

Burnham, his journo cronies and the government would rather build on this land than do anything about the growth in population.  It is easier to spend cash than it is to be honest.

How can they do something about the population growth

18 hours ago, RADCLIFFE LOYAL said:

My major concern is for Elton.  A housing estate was built in the Bury and Bolton Road area last year.  It takes up about 30% of the land between Ainscow's Farm and the road. 

And this is a bad thing?

Over the last 30 years or so I have driven and walked past these field many times and never seen a sheep, cow. tractor etc. It appeared to be in this time a disused farm. So now we have smallest 4 bed houses on the plot. What if the new residents have moved from smaller two and three bedroom properties in Radcliffe, Whitefield, Prestwich etc,  thus releasing property for youngest people in Radcliffe, Whitefield, Prestwich who have been renting cramped properties for years to buy these properties - is this not a good thing?

3 hours ago, jonathanmvd said:

How can they do something about the population growth

Compulsory sterilization of Man. Utd and Bolton fans, (armchair or otherwise). 😆

23 hours ago, DR_PAUL said:

And this is a bad thing?

Over the last 30 years or so I have driven and walked past these field many times and never seen a sheep, cow. tractor etc. It appeared to be in this time a disused farm. So now we have smallest 4 bed houses on the plot. What if the new residents have moved from smaller two and three bedroom properties in Radcliffe, Whitefield, Prestwich etc,  thus releasing property for youngest people in Radcliffe, Whitefield, Prestwich who have been renting cramped properties for years to buy these properties - is this not a good thing?

I know the area well having grown up nearby as I teenager and having spent a great deal of my childhood walking around and playing here.  It acts, (or increasingly acted) as a refuge for wildlife and migrating as well as resident birds.  Well used or not, it could and should form part of a major plan to act as breathing space for local residents - green space, pretty or not, useful economically or not, was implemented for good reason - to act as a buffer against urban sprawl and to maintain the health of the local environment.  The fact that it was a disused farm was irrelevant.  Far better to have sold it to someone who was prepared to diversify the business whilst keeping the land intact, as other farmers have done.

Even the smallest properties in Radcliffe, Whitefield and Prestwich (especially Whitefield and Prestwich) are still unaffordable for the majority of young people, including those in relatively secure employment, a rarity in itself, and on a reasonable salary (whatever constitutes reasonable these days).  This will continue to be the case for the foreseeable future, unless major policy shifts around housing are enacted and quickly.  Meanwhile, those who now live in the mainly tiny new builds on part of Spen Moor are presumably spending an increasing amount of time trying to get to work on what was an already heavily congested Bury/Bolton Road prior to the development. 

1 hour ago, myrabury said:

I know the area well having grown up nearby as I teenager and having spent a great deal of my childhood walking around and playing here.  It acts, (or increasingly acted) as a refuge for wildlife and migrating as well as resident birds.  Well used or not, it could and should form part of a major plan to act as breathing space for local residents - green space, pretty or not, useful economically or not, was implemented for good reason - to act as a buffer against urban sprawl and to maintain the health of the local environment.  The fact that it was a disused farm was irrelevant.  Far better to have sold it to someone who was prepared to diversify the business whilst keeping the land intact, as other farmers have done.

Even the smallest properties in Radcliffe, Whitefield and Prestwich (especially Whitefield and Prestwich) are still unaffordable for the majority of young people, including those in relatively secure employment, a rarity in itself, and on a reasonable salary (whatever constitutes reasonable these days).  This will continue to be the case for the foreseeable future, unless major policy shifts around housing are enacted and quickly.  Meanwhile, those who now live in the mainly tiny new builds on part of Spen Moor are presumably spending an increasing amount of time trying to get to work on what was an already heavily congested Bury/Bolton Road prior to the development. 

I don't necessary disagree about any of that.

Funny enough I was speaking to a couple (both about 50 years old) who have just moved to this estate last week. Both had lived almost all their entire lives in Prestwich. Not sure not about the guy, but the Lady now walks to work, rather driving from Prestwich, so sometimes it can work the other way.

Worked with a guy last year (early 30's) who was renting in the centre of Manchester with his partner who wanted to buy their first home and was looking at Prestwich/Whitefield/Unsworth and was asking me about these areas and when he showed me the properties they had visited I was a little surprised about how little you got for your money. In the end they bought a house in Monton (and got a lot more house for their money), in what appeared to be a more attractive area.

Don't want to upset you Myra, but a five month survey done some time ago implied that British cats killed 57.4 million mammals, 27.1 million birds and 4.8 million reptiles and amphibians, in that 5 month period. Sounds very high to me, but there are up to 14 million cats in the UK. But British cats have far more impact on British wildlife than house builders.

38 minutes ago, DR_PAUL said:

Funny enough I was speaking to a couple (both about 50 years old) who have just moved to this estate last week. Both had lived almost all their entire lives in Prestwich. Not sure not about the guy, but the Lady now walks to work, rather driving from Prestwich, so sometimes it can work the other way.

Worked with a guy last year (early 30's) who was renting in the centre of Manchester with his partner who wanted to buy their first home and was looking at Prestwich/Whitefield/Unsworth and was asking me about these areas and when he showed me the properties they had visited I was a little surprised about how little you got for your money. In the end they bought a house in Monton (and got a lot more house for their money), in what appeared to be a more attractive area.

Don't want to upset you Myra, but a five month survey done some time ago implied that British cats killed 57.4 million mammals, 27.1 million birds and 4.8 million reptiles and amphibians, in that 5 month period. Sounds very high to me, but there are up to 14 million cats in the UK. But British cats have far more impact on British wildlife than house builders.

If the house hadn't been built

There would be no owner there with a Cat :~)

4 hours ago, DR_PAUL said:

You're not upsetting me, I'd be the first person to admit that cats being a top predatory species do cause damage to wildlife!  However on the flip side, there are many other surveys I can reference citing wildlife destruction/displacement on a far larger scale thanks to historic pesticide use, the conversion of farmland into housing, the introduction of non native species in certain areas etc (not to mention animal rights activists absolutely bonkers action of releasing farmed mink, which have gone onto decimate many small mammal populations on our waterways).  There are other significant reasons - we can't just blame domestic and feral cats!

I think the lady has a very long walk to work in Prestwich if the couple have moved to the Spen Moor estate; maybe we're talking at crossed purposes? Or a bus into Bury followed by the Metrolink, which seems more straightforward but very time consuming in the rush hour.

I can't speak for Unsworth as I'm not familiar with the area however IMO you are correct re. the affordability or otherwise of Whitefield and Prestwich.  My daughter and her boyfriend certainly couldn't afford to buy here and they'd struggle to rent despite both being in employment, so a small purpose built second floor flat in S Manchester, which is still very expensive, is the best they can hope for right now.  Monton may be 'on the up' in terms of regeneration and travel connections to Manchester are excellent.  Good luck to the guy you worked with, I hope it works out for them both.

On 11 January 2019 at 11:46, RADCLIFFE LOYAL said:

A question for our political class.

They couldn't care less.

Labour - for the votes.

Tories - cheap workers for their big business donors.

• Thanks 1