Checkatrade prize money....
3 3

53 posts in this topic

20 minutes ago, postcorvus said:

Especially if you are BritishūüėćLet's be brutally real.The Checkatrade Trophy with a Wembley appearance will be looked at fondly only as long as we get promoted as well. A bit of petty cash with regard to our debt and a day out for the people of Bury who last turned out in the sixties is scant consolation if we still languish in the basement.

Lincoln fans would disagree, strongly. It's also set them up nicely for this season.

26 minutes ago, Keithh said:

Lincoln fans would disagree, strongly. It's also set them up nicely for this season.

Added to their run in the FA Cup as well they have been able to build a new £1 million training facility.

44 minutes ago, postcorvus said:

Especially if you are BritishūüėćLet's be brutally real.The Checkatrade Trophy with a Wembley appearance will be looked at fondly only as long as we get promoted as well. A bit of petty cash with regard to our debt and a day out for the people of Bury who last turned out in the sixties is scant consolation if we still languish in the basement.

When you support a small club any success is special . The Check a trade is underated, it's a trophy. What would Rochdale give to have one. The finances of a club are vital but cup runs should be viewed as extras when budgets are decided pre season.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Keithh said:

Yes, but Lincoln were a well run club before either cup success. We are going to need a proper(not a Stewie) 5 year plan to get to their level and then we can genuinely revel in cup financial rewards.

5 minutes ago, postcorvus said:

Yes, but Lincoln were a well run club before either cup success. We are going to need a proper(not a Stewie) 5 year plan to get to their level and then we can genuinely revel in cup financial rewards.

As they say oop t'north, "owt's better than nowt" and £40K proceeds from a local game isn't to be sneezed at. Also, anything that raises the profile of our club (however slightly) can only be a good thing and anyone at the game last night -Bury or Accy- couldn't fail to be impressed by our second half performance. Now, let's have a nice home draw tomorrow and keep the till ringing. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

30 minutes ago, russ hamer said:

When you support a small club any success is special . The Check a trade is underated, it's a trophy. What would Rochdale give to have one. The finances of a club are vital but cup runs should be viewed as extras when budgets are decided pre season.

It's a pity this competition has been marred by the inclusion of U21 PL teams.  However, I agree that any competition success is special and very important for small clubs such as ours, for a number of reasons.  It's my hope (probably in vain) that the FA actually listen to and take on board many complaints and concerns expressed by lower league clubs and their fans - a number of whom have stayed away thanks in large part to PL infiltration last season.  If PL clubs want their youngsters to gain valuable experience, a short loan stint at our level at the sharp end makes sense for a number of reasons.  However as always, money talks and last season's low gates and indifference have, as usual, fallen on deaf ears.

Edited by myrabury
  • Like 7

29 minutes ago, postcorvus said:

Living in Lincoln more than anything it got the town behind them, BIG time.

9 minutes ago, myrabury said:

It's a pity this competition has been marred by the inclusion of U21 PL teams.  However, I agree that any competition success is special and very important for small clubs such as ours, for a number of reasons.  It's my hope (probably in vain) that the FA actually listen to and take on board many complaints and concerns expressed by lower league clubs and their fans - a number of whom have stayed away thanks in large part to PL infiltration last season.  If PL clubs want their youngsters to gain valuable experience, a short loan stint at our level at the sharp end makes sense for a number of reasons.  However as always, money talks and last season's low gates and indifference have, as usual, fallen on deaf ears.

Great post Myra

superb comeback and result v accy..

not a fan of the checkatrade , esp' how its been set up these last few seasons.

that said, a Q/F draw v citehhh, or even sunderland would be a great boost to the coffers.

though may not be the direct route youd like to reach the hallowed turf of wembley.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

32 minutes ago, myrabury said:

The kids teams have definitely devalued the competition and fuelled my initial indifference to it. In fact I doubt whether the Checkatrade would exist at all under this format if it wouldn't have been for the Coventry - Oxford final played in front of 70K plus. But that said, i'm warming to it (particularly after last night!) and look forward to the draw tomorrow. But to completely win me over for next season they need to lose the ridiculous group stage. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, nick01 said:

The kids teams have definitely devalued the competition and fuelled my initial indifference to it. In fact I doubt whether the Checkatrade would exist at all under this format if it wouldn't have been for the Coventry - Oxford final played in front of 70K plus. But that said, i'm warming to it (particularly after last night!) and look forward to the draw tomorrow. But to completely win me over for next season they need to lose the ridiculous group stage. 

You may be warming to it but I am still cold from last night. Lol !

• Haha 3

14 hours ago, singaporeshaker said:

winner of the next round is the winner of the quarter final ( last 8 nationally)

winner of the semi final, is at worst the runner up. ie in the final, last 2!!

hope this explains 

UTS

Duckworth-Lewis is easier...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, myrabury said:

Low gates and indifference don't matter if the prize money makes it a lucrative competition to progress in.  And if, as we are now seeing, you do progress then the indifference starts to go. 

If Premier league clubs want their youngsters to gain valuable experience of proper football while playing with their peers and being coached by their club's coaches, playing the way their club wants them to then the Checkatrade Trophy makes perfect sense.

I really don't get the hostility, we'll have to see how City and Chelsea do (I suspect Peterborough should be too strong tonight) but the Academy sides obviously find this competition tough, which they should.  Football League sides are generally left to battle out the latter stages with more cash in their pockets than would have been the case a few years ago.

Despite all this talk of it being marred and tainted, could the EFL Trophy have limped along for much longer in its previous guise?  I seem to recall it featured a good deal of indifference and low gates.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, myrabury said:

The inclusion of the U21’s has provided a bigger financial incentive for all clubs competing within the cup, as such I don’t personally mind them being in it (may feel different if we’re to be knocked out by Man City U21’s though!)

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, myrabury said:

Whilst I agree entirely, the jurisdiction for the competition is in the EFL's (utterly incompotent) remit, not the FA's... which is actually part of a wider problem about governance in English football.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, nick01 said:

If there wasn't a group stage we'd have been out the first hurdle the last 2 years 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, russ hamer said:

If you judge everything in life in dollars then your a fool. Winning a trophy. When did this last happen, going to Wembley. It puts pride and joy into your club and your fans. How much does that cost, answer is, it's priceless.

Well said Russ, I'll bet everyone who is complaining would be at Wembley for the final.

2 hours ago, Spee said:

Whilst I agree entirely, the jurisdiction for the competition is in the EFL's (utterly incompotent) remit, not the FA's... which is actually part of a wider problem about governance in English football.

Of course, my mistake!

4 hours ago, scales of justice said:

Well said Russ, I'll bet everyone who is complaining would be at Wembley for the final.

I would love to go to Wembley, but Postcorvus`  tagline on all his posts about the Checkatrade would really put him on the spot if we were to get there!

The Checkatrade Trophy is by far the lesser of two evils compared to Premiership reserve teams playing in the EFL divisions 1&2 as proposed by Greg Dyke a couple of years ago

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, russ hamer said:

If you judge everything in life in dollars then your a fool. Winning a trophy. When did this last happen, going to Wembley. It puts pride and joy into your club and your fans. How much does that cost, answer is, it's priceless.

Great post!

If Citeh Embryos win the thing I'm sure they will hand over the prize money to their poor neighbours up the A56. 

Hypothetical question. 

Im sure I’ve read that City U21 will play all their games away from home. If they get through to the semi final, which I think is 2 legs, does the opposing team get to play two home games? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, seasideshaker said:

Hypothetical question. 

Im sure I’ve read that City U21 will play all their games away from home. If they get through to the semi final, which I think is 2 legs, does the opposing team get to play two home games? 

No. That was only the case in the group stage. For example, Chelsea U23s lost to Peterborough United last night, with the game being played at Stamford Bridge. 

38 minutes ago, Spee said:

No. That was only the case in the group stage. For example, Chelsea U23s lost to Peterborough United last night, with the game being played at Stamford Bridge. 

Fair enough. I’ve just read up a bit, and the semi final is only one leg anyway.