Windows 10.
1 1

3 posts in this topic

If you remember back when it was launched, you could get a free upgrade from older OS's which was supposedly time limited and everyone assumed that was that and the only option now, if you wanted Win10, was to pay Microsoft for a product key. Well I recently discovered you can still get a free upgrade, apparently with the blessing of M'soft, as their upgrade servers are still operational. My son persisted with Win7, which he was perfectly happy with, but some of the video editing software he works with announced they would not be supporting Win7 any more, thereby forcing his hand. I said I'd try to upgrade his system, using the steps outlined below, without any expectation of success because of the length of time expired since it was launched. However the whole thing went without a hitch and I ended up with a fully functioning OS, perfectly legit and "digitally signed" as authenticated by Microsoft. The "Off the Record" story seems to be that Microsoft will continue to keep the upgrade available but are keeping it low key so as not to upset their OEM partners.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/heres-how-you-can-still-get-a-free-windows-10-upgrade/

Edited by RNaj1

Just bought an all in one pc from Lenn... John Lewis and returned it as the HD was making, er, strange noises. However while I had it for a day I set it up, you know the sort of thing, a photo of the old floodlights as desktop, and it's windows bloody 10 of course and I hate it almost as much as Bolton. If the thing had worked I would have wiped it and installed 7. Lose support? I have an xp in my bedroom and it's doing just fine. 

I've never had a problem with it, apart from the odd update refusing to install which is usually pretty easy to resolve. I actually think it's pretty good, especially after they restored the start button and changed the GUI back to a more "classic" look from the "Tiled" effort of the original release which only made sense on a Tablet. There couldn't have been many more "anti" than my son, like you Kacc he would have been happy to persist with Win7 despite M'soft ending support a long time ago, it was only the fact he wouldn't have been able to keep up to date with his video editing software that forced his hand, fair to say, he's been happy with it so far and says it runs a lot smoother than Win7, though he was saying his laptop was getting a little "clunky" and was considering doing a clean install of Win7 to speed things up. I've now installed it on 5 different computers within the family group and as I said have never had any issues at all, the only thing I don't like is "Automatic Updates" which defaults to Microsoft installing updates whenever it likes without any input from the owner of the machine other than changing the "active hours" or deferring the updates for a set time. I did find a solution in a Computer Mag a few years ago, which restored the options available in previous editions of Windows but, try as I might, I haven't been able to find that particular issue of the magazine, if I do I'll post it here in case anyone is interested.