Andrew Robertson

12 posts in this topic

A lesson in not giving up ........

No alt text provided for this image

Unfortunately a lot of clubs use size as their first filter, but football would be a much poorer place without the likes of Robertson, Bobby Collins and N'Golo Kante.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, RaRa said:

Unfortunately a lot of clubs use size as their first filter, but football would be a much poorer place without the likes of Robertson, Bobby Collins and N'Golo Kante.

Still  to make a big impact in the game:behead:

35 minutes ago, postcorvus said:

Still  to make a big impact in the game:behead:

Long before the French Revolution, the Scots had invented and were using the guillotine known as the Maiden. From 1564 up to 1708 when it was withdrawn from use, over 150 people had been executed with this 'humane' devise. Perhaps the most famous victim of the Maiden was Archibald Campbell, 9th Earl of Argyll.

• Thanks 1

On 11/01/2019 at 11:53, RaRa said:

Well said. We’ve lagged behind many other countries with an obsession with height, many talented youngsters having been let go by academies hell-bent on finding the next Crouch or Heskey. Meanwhile the Spanish wonder team was producing World Cup winning talent with a line-up all under 5’10” bar Torres and the goalie. Thankfully there’s been a new FA directive encouraging teams to follow the Barcelona model and focus on skill rather than height but that will take years to filter through onto the pitch. 

• Like 1
  • Like Copy 1

Just a minute, it is an advantage to be small in football, other than the goalkeeper

I would say that 70% of the top ten football all time are 5ft 10 ins or less

Maradona 5ft 5in

Garrincha 5ft 6in

Mesi 5ft 7in

Pele 5ft 8in

Best 5ft 9in

Platini 5ft 9in.

The reason that two of my favourite players of all time are 5ft 11in tall Johan Cruyff and 6ft 1in tall Cristiano Ronaldo, as they had to over come the disadvantage of being taller than all the other top outfield players

Understand your point but can't fully agree as have never seen or heard of Mesi😣. Been speaking to Steve and he is happy to designate a new exclusive area of the ground which will be known as pedant's corner.

On 11/01/2019 at 12:33, DR_PAUL said:

Long before the French Revolution, the Scots had invented and were using the guillotine known as the Maiden. From 1564 up to 1708 when it was withdrawn from use, over 150 people had been executed with this 'humane' devise. Perhaps the most famous victim of the Maiden was Archibald Campbell, 9th Earl of Argyll.

Didn't a guillotine feature in an episode of Columbo many moons ago?

23 minutes ago, ronky said:

Didn't a guillotine feature in an episode of Columbo many moons ago?

You are correct. Featuring one of the earliest English villians to grace USA TV-Anthony Andrews

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, postcorvus said:

Understand your point but can't fully agree as have never seen or heard of Mesi😣. Been speaking to Steve and he is happy to designate a new exclusive area of the ground which will be known as pedant's corner.

I am disappointed you did not spot my other mistake - Platini is currently 5ft 9in, but in his playing days was a giant at 5ft 10 ins,  :)

29 minutes ago, DR_PAUL said:

I am disappointed you did not spot my other mistake - Platini is currently 5ft 9in, but in his playing days was a giant at 5ft 10 ins,  :)

When Steve creates the new area you are welcome to join me

9 hours ago, DR_PAUL said:

Just a minute, it is an advantage to be small in football, other than the goalkeeper

I would say that 70% of the top ten football all time are 5ft 10 ins or less

Maradona 5ft 5in

Garrincha 5ft 6in

Mesi 5ft 7in

Pele 5ft 8in

Best 5ft 9in

Platini 5ft 9in.

The reason that two of my favourite players of all time are 5ft 11in tall Johan Cruyff and 6ft 1in tall Cristiano Ronaldo, as they had to over come the disadvantage of being taller than all the other top outfield players

Also one of the many reasons why this fella is my favourite ......

the-legendary-quote-by-peter-crouch_o_45

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, DR_PAUL said:

Glad you brought Platini up. As well as the short Spanish World Cup winning team, arguably the best midfield ever was the 80s French one. Platini was indeed a giant compared to the mesmerising Tigana (5’6”) and Giresse (5’4”).