Scholes down at Gigg
1 1

132 posts in this topic

As Oldham manager in a couple of weeks..😂😂

Can't wait for his post match dull mumbling uninspirational summary of how we plaid them off the park...

Edited by MrBistow

Crap...that might mean taking down all the Flags in the Manny Road End - with loads of BIFFOS getting all excited! :angry: 

Although, we should never give an away team both ends, so hopefully it's the Cemmy End and part of the Main Stand (apologies to those Bury fans who sit in there) but makes more sense to me; even if for just segregation purposes, last season was carnage after the match. 

• Like 2

I'd be surprised if they are given both ends given the trouble inside and outside the ground last season. 

26 minutes ago, still running man said:

I wonder if common sense will prevail and the away fans kept in for 5 mins to allow home fans to disperse. Just who is responsible for this?

Phil Edwards. 

• Haha 7

1 hour ago, MrBistow said:

Can't wait for his post match dull mumbling uninspirational summary of how we plaid them off the park...

Well we have been excellent when playing in our home tartan kit.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, MrBistow said:

Plaid 🤣.. fat fingers strikes again

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, still running man said:

I wonder if common sense will prevail and the away fans kept in for 5 mins to allow home fans to disperse. Just who is responsible for this?

I asked a copper at the game last season and he said they cant do it, coz it's against their human rights! I said they did it v Millwall (no comments that they're not human!) and he had no reply. 

Also, foreign fans are always kept behind at European matches.

It is common sense Ian...but what do we know?!

Anyway, back to the Rugger and Jonny May!!!

8 minutes ago, R11 BFC said:

I asked a copper at the game last season and he said they cant do it, coz it's against their human rights! I said they did it v Millwall (no comments that they're not human!) and he had no reply. 

5 games now for England where they have scored a try in first 3 minutes. This is amazing to watch. Almost (only almost) feel sorry for the frogs :P 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, R11 BFC said:

The Human Rights Act does not bestow rights in itself but is qualified by other legislation. If there is a law (there is) that says people should be prevented from leaving the ground to preserve public safety - then this takes precedence.

I wish someone would explain this to the Daily Mail - or perhaps they wilfully ignore it!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, still running man said:

I've always thought that this is the wrong way round.  It would make far more sense to keep the home fans in for 5 minutes and for the police to shepherd the away fans out of the area.  I speak from bitter experience, having been kept in as an away fan many times in my younger days. It just allows the home hooligans to lie in wait a few streets out and then anyone coming out of the ground late is easily identified as an away supporter

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, exiile said:

The Human Rights Act does not bestow rights in itself but is qualified by other legislation. If there is a law (there is) that says people should be prevented from leaving the ground to preserve public safety - then this takes precedence.

I wish someone would explain this to the Daily Mail - or perhaps they wilfully ignore it!

I see they have been spouting there spurious vile again today.  

3 minutes ago, RaRa said:

I've always thought that this is the wrong way round.  It would make far more sense to keep the home fans in for 5 minutes and for the police to shepherd the away fans out of the area.  I speak from bitter experience, having been kept in as an away fan many times in my younger days. It just allows the home hooligans to lie in wait a few streets out and then anyone coming out of the ground late is easily identified as an away supporter

Yes, I can see both sides of the argument. Just a pity that these things have to be considered.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, RaRa said:

Yes, I particularly remember Stoke, probably early 90s, when Bury fans were locked in for 45 minutes.  Some of our fans were easy pickings for Stoke hooligans 

1 hour ago, R11 BFC said:

Happens everytime United play City and Liverpool 

1 hour ago, scales of justice said:

Yes, I particularly remember Stoke, probably early 90s, when Bury fans were locked in for 45 minutes.  Some of our fans were easy pickings for Stoke hooligans 

Was at that one 😁

• Like 1

4 hours ago, R11 BFC said:

Crap...that might mean taking down all the Flags in the Manny Road End - with loads of BIFFOS getting all excited! :angry: 

Although, we should never give an away team both ends, so hopefully it's the Cemmy End and part of the Main Stand (apologies to those Bury fans who sit in there) but makes more sense to me; even if for just segregation purposes, last season was carnage after the match. 

Leave our flags, leave our flags🎼🎶🎼

• Like 1

16 hours ago, MrBistow said:

Plaid 🤣.. fat fingers strikes again

Don't beat yourself up. Those of us from the paddock who espoused 'Bury Ra Ra Ra ' will be happy to include 'Well Played' at the next fixture.To celebrate yet another home victory, will probably treat myself to a game of Pooh Sticks on the way home to have buttered scones for tea. Aaah those days of flexible goalposts and a little property in a hole in the road.

Edited by postcorvus
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

15 hours ago, scales of justice said:

I seem to recall being kept back at Maine Road for quite a while, too! 

Can anyone remember the match commentator who used to pronounce Scholes as "Shoals"? Had lots of mispronunciations which he insisted he'd researched locally, the only other one I remember was Bromby, which he pronounced "Brombue", insisting he'd been told that was the correct way by Danish football fans.

34 minutes ago, RNaj1 said:

Can anyone remember the match commentator who used to pronounce Scholes as "Shoals"? Had lots of mispronunciations which he insisted he'd researched locally, the only other one I remember was Bromby, which he pronounced "Brombue", insisting he'd been told that was the correct way by Danish football fans.

The late Brian Moore.

13 minutes ago, Spee said:

The late Brian Moore.

Thanks, I had him in mind but wasn't sure. Re Scholes I seem to remember Moore saying he'd been told by family that "Shoals" was the correct pronunciation, "wind up" springs to mind.

So Oldham have been give 2,354 tickets for the Manny Road End and Cemi end. So it looks like they're giving them both stands but at a reduced allocation ? 

4 minutes ago, T.A said:

So Oldham have been give 2,354 tickets for the Manny Road End and Cemi end. So it looks like they're giving them both stands but at a reduced allocation ? 

Perhaps they are seeing how they sell, if they don't sell out they may just put them in the cem?

17 hours ago, scales of justice said:

Yes, I ended up in a police van. For our own safety, they dumped a dozen of us in a van and took us to the station! But was that because he Stoke fans were outside the ground  revolting - against their own side and manager?

Edited by Kacc