Jump to content
Bury FC Message Board

Recommended Posts

For 48 hours and refusing to play on Saturday unless assurances are given about salary payments. Can't blame them, but it doesn't make for having much confidence that things are looking up

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Harrysmate said:

For 48 hours and refusing to play on Saturday unless assurances are given about salary payments. Can't blame them, but it doesn't make for having much confidence that things are looking up

Harry do you mind me asking what the Rolf Harris is that profile pic about? 😂 

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Barry P said:

Harry do you mind me asking what the Rolf Harris is that profile pic about? 😂 

I came across it some time ago. Reminded me of ManUre fans, so I adopted it as my avatar. Such is my sense of humour. 🤣

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Harrysmate said:

I came across it some time ago. Reminded me of ManUre fans, so I adopted it as my avatar. Such is my sense of humour. 🤣

Thanks 

Back on topic, errr very worried, but I was anyway. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There seems to be no sense in offering a statement to appease supporters, then everyone finding out that the players are on strike, wages still unpaid (with no apparent prospect of them being paid) and refusing to play.

I would have thought that after the Court hearing, the players representatives would have been the first to be briefed as to what the plan was going forward and then a statement could be issued to all and sundry.

Reading the O'Rourke tweet,  makes you think it's more smoke and mirrors and nothing will change, or CAN change.  A moment of optimism at lunchtime, followed by a crash in the abyss of despair before teatime. 

Ridiculous.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, tommy said:

Lowey said on Monday that they won’t strike.

Well, something has obviously forced them into making a different decision. Maybe they are just hacked off with the stick and carrot approach. Everybody has a breaking point. How long would you pull out your tripe for your employer if he didn't pay your wages ?? Why are they any different ??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Harrysmate said:

Well, something has obviously forced them into making a different decision. Maybe they are just hacked off with the stick and carrot approach. Everybody has a breaking point. How long would you pull out your tripe for your employer if he didn't pay your wages ?? Why are they any different ??

I wouldn't. I'd leave and go somewhere else. But football employment doesn't work like other places.

But whether they like it or not they work in an industry with a lot more workers than jobs, and one where you can only get a new job in two windows of the year.

I don't blame them for going on strike but if they miss one game then promotion is done, and with it goes a large amount of their own personal marketability.

Also several of them are clearly knackered and 48 hours not running around a training pitch might not be the worst thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The players going on strike doesn't stack up with what was said in the statement, which probably means one of two things...

- Pete O got this info and it's post-hearing but pre-statement (or comms from the club)

- The players know what was said in the statement not to be true

Given the timings, I'd guess this may be the former. I don't think the players will have had time to read, digest and decide on strike action if it was based on the statement.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, BarryStrange said:

I wouldn't. I'd leave and go somewhere else. But football employment doesn't work like other places.

But whether they like it or not they work in an industry with a lot more workers than jobs, and one where you can only get a new job in two windows of the year.

I don't blame them for going on strike but if they miss one game then promotion is done, and with it goes a large amount of their own personal marketability.

Also several of them are clearly knackered and 48 hours not running around a training pitch might not be the worst thing.

Bit rich that Barry, to be fair. If they aren't paid, the club is in breach of contract and the players become free agents. Especially when wages are so far in arrears and repeated promises are not met. Then they aren't subject to transfer windows, they can go wherever anyone is willing to take them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Brierls_RAFC said:

The players going on strike doesn't stack up with what was said in the statement, which probably means one of two things...

- Pete O got this info and it's post-hearing but pre-statement (or comms from the club)

- The players know what was said in the statement not to be true

Given the timings, I'd guess this may be the former. I don't think the players will have had time to read, digest and decide on strike action if it was based on the statement.

I reckon you're probably right on balance. A player strike would need all of the leading players in agreement, and they wouldn't have time to have decided that between the statement and the tweet from PO. Particularly if they're not training.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Harrysmate said:

Bit rich that Barry, to be fair. If they aren't paid, the club is in breach of contract and the players become free agents. Especially when wages are so far in arrears and repeated promises are not met. Then they aren't subject to transfer windows, they can go wherever anyone is willing to take them. 

Is that last bit true?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Players like Mayor, O’Shea, Maynard etc have already done enough to get a contract elsewhere but I’d imagine a few others would need to showcase themselves. Although I wouldn’t blame them for a minute for not playing if they aren’t given reassurances on payment. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Harrysmate said:

Bit rich that Barry, to be fair. If they aren't paid, the club is in breach of contract and the players become free agents. Especially when wages are so far in arrears and repeated promises are not met. Then they aren't subject to transfer windows, they can go wherever anyone is willing to take them. 

It hasn't happened yet though. They can argue that the club is in breach, and I am sure they would win, but I would bet they can't get out of their contracts (and as I said, I don't blame them for a minute for doing so) before the end of the season, at which point every other released player in football comes into the market.

Not a problem if you're O'Shea or Mayor and know there will be offers all over the place, bit tougher a life decision if you're Gold, McFadzean or Ryan Cooney.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Brierls_RAFC said:

Is that last bit true?

Free agents can be signed outside transfer windows. Previous contracts have been cancelled, either by default or by 'mutual agreement', allowing a player to move on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Harrysmate said:

Free agents can be signed outside transfer windows. Previous contracts have been cancelled, either by default or by 'mutual agreement', allowing a player to move on.

I don't think that is the case. I think they have to become free agents before the transfer window closes. Or at least that is the case with 'mutual agreement'.

Edited by Brierls_RAFC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, BarryStrange said:

It hasn't happened yet though. They can argue that the club is in breach, and I am sure they would win, but I would bet they can't get out of their contracts (and as I said, I don't blame them for a minute for doing so) before the end of the season, at which point every other released player in football comes into the market.

Not a problem if you're O'Shea or Mayor and know there will be offers all over the place, bit tougher a life decision if you're Gold, McFadzean or Ryan Cooney.

It would take a barrister specialising in employment law to unpick the intricacies of it all, but technically they are free to move on if they are unable to get their salaries. Different players always have different market values, but if they CAN obtain contracts elsewhere, why wouldn't they ?? As for the lesser marketable players, there is nothing to stop them hanging around in the hope that monies are eventually forthcoming. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Brierls_RAFC said:

I don't think that is the case. I think they have to become free agents before the transfer window closes. Or that is the case with 'mutual agreement'.

But if the employer goes 't1ts up' are you saying that they can't seek alternative employment ? They are effectively redundant. If they are not being paid, they have a right to seek employment elsewhere. Player registrations become null and void in the event of a contract breach, surely ? In which case they can go elsewhere. That's how I understand it anyway from previous posts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Employment law states after 14 days non payment, you can break the contract, as we have the biggest assets on the pitch they need to be paid by friday

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...