Bury FC Message Board

They'd get more sense asking the staff, we knoe the Exec aren't going to say anything of note! 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, 1885 said:

The Board is extremely concerned about the developing situation at Bury and has asked the Executive to provide whatever practical assistance it can to the Club.“

https://www.efl.com/news/2019/april/efl-statement-april-board-update/

I am a little bitter when it comes to the EFL and took a couple of swipes at them in their twitter feeds during the EFLAwards.  It made me feel a little better!

The EFL, going forward clearly need to revise their 'Fit and Proper persons check', in summary I think its currently something like this...

1.  Do you have a pulse? (Y/N)

2.  Do you have any convictions in the last 5 days? (Y/N)

Answer 'yes' to point 1 and 'no' to point 2 - Great, you are in!

Edited by LondonWhite
  • Like 5

Posted (edited)

From the same meeting, interestingly  Blackpool will not receive points deduction despite administration because of the work done to date in preparation which means a clear plan is in place.

Edited by AndyBarls
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, AndyBarls said:

From the same meeting, interestingly  Blackpool will not receive points deduction despite administration because of the work done to date in preparation which means a clear plan is in place.

Interesting - hadn't heard of that before.

Blackpool's situation is different to most as they had to suffer the Oystons for so long and apparently   they have had 59 expressions of interest re buying the club. Well only 1 can succeed so maybe the 58 missing out will turn their interests to Bury. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, billy_0571 said:

They'd get more sense asking the staff, we knoe the Exec aren't going to say anything of note! 

Does it not mean the EFL Executive (Committee).

Or have I bitten?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, alanlondon said:

Does it not mean the EFL Executive (Committee).

Or have I bitten?

No you're right it does. I could pretend I was looking for a bite but really I just read it poorly! 

• Like 3

With all the clubs currently in peril I hope the EFL have a contingency plan to help provide emotional and mental health support for heart broken fans. They are very quick to publicise the heart strings nature of football and I hope they recognise their duty of care.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, morex said:

With all the clubs currently in peril I hope the EFL have a contingency plan to help provide emotional and mental health support for heart broken fans. They are very quick to publicise the heart strings nature of football and I hope they recognise their duty of care.

And if you believe that, I have some magic beans for sale. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Spee said:

Cheap and uneccesary 

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Spee said:

"hope"

• Love 1

4 minutes ago, St1 said:

Cheap and uneccesary 

Not meant that way. The number of clubs on their statement and the nature of their issues tells you everything you need to know about their duty of care. 

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Spee said:

Not meant that way. The number of clubs on their statement and the nature of their issues tells you everything you need to know about their duty of care. 

To an extent, that is the fault of the owners of those clubs, albeit their fit and proper test is failing. The fans however, are the innocent victim in this.  Whilst I agree it probably has not crossed their minds, there IMO should be some "support" should a club die. 

Edited by morex

2 hours ago, Spee said:

Have to agree. 1 or 2 bad examples suggests bad owners, a league of 72 clubs of which around 40 of which have had very severe financial problems tell of the EFL doing nothing to solve the systemic problems.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, BarryStrange said:

Have to agree. 1 or 2 bad examples suggests bad owners, a league of 72 clubs of which around 40 of which have had very severe financial problems tell of the EFL doing nothing to solve the systemic problems.

The last club that were dealt with 'properly' were Luton Town who were relegated AND deducted 30 points and the inevitable relegation to the Conference followed. I'm not comparing situations but when they want to be firm, they can be. My guess is Bolton will be next. Something definitely not right down there. Then you see who is due to buy the club and wondrr why they even bother to have 'Fit and Proper' rules at all....

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Well all's well and good with the EFL stepping in.We'll probably get a bye in the Nobody Wants To Play In It Trophy next season.

Edited by postcorvus

It would be more just, if the football authority punished the owner's instead of the club's. Then they might behave in a responsable manner.

• Like 3

Its always seemed strange to me that the Fit and Proper test seems only to apply when the club is first taken over. Things (as we know to our cost) can change fairly quickly. It would help concentrate the minds of some of these cowboy owners if a much more stringent proper test was introduced....and had to be passed every five years.

14 hours ago, Coyley12 said:

Its always seemed strange to me that the Fit and Proper test seems only to apply when the club is first taken over. Things (as we know to our cost) can change fairly quickly. It would help concentrate the minds of some of these cowboy owners if a much more stringent proper test was introduced....and had to be passed every five years.

I have some sympathy with the EFL on this.  The test basically is a legal one, have you got a criminal record, are you currently disqualified as a company director?  I really don't see how they can take it further into more subjective areas of perceived intentions and sound bloke-ness.

Imagine the fall out if a club's in trouble a buyer steps forward but is refused by the EFL on such subjective grounds and the club folds.  They're in a lose-lose situation to my mind.

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Eaves_wig said:

I have some sympathy with the EFL on this.  The test basically is a legal one, have you got a criminal record, are you currently disqualified as a company director?  I really don't see how they can take it further into more subjective areas of perceived intentions and sound bloke-ness.

Imagine the fall out if a club's in trouble a buyer steps forward but is refused by the EFL on such subjective grounds and the club folds.  They're in a lose-lose situation to my mind.

It is now known that Day owes at least £27 million. Why wasn't his debt picked up by EFL before he took us over? Surely he had massive debt even then? And why not look into the past of these shysters? Just looking at  Day and Dale's history of bust companies shouldn't take more than 10 minutes? I am incandescent at the EFL. totally useless. I put 50% of the blame for this debacle on them!

Day has built up £27m during his time at Bury. Being a director of companies that go bust would stop most people ever passing the fit and proper persons test. 

I don't blame the EFL. I blame *T*wa*t Day and all those who refused to see actual facts such as 138% per annum interest rates. 

3 minutes ago, BuryR said:

Day has built up £27m during his time at Bury. Being a director of companies that go bust would stop most people ever passing the fit and proper persons test. 

I don't blame the EFL. I blame *T*wa*t Day and all those who refused to see actual facts such as 138% per annum interest rates. 

So, £27 million whilst at Bury? We owe around £10 million, what has the rest gone on? And even so, his background should have told the EFL just how bad a business man he was!