Bury FC Message Board
Sign in to follow this  
lucasoneil

Thompson

Posted (edited)

Great win today but no doubt get some stick for this post but dont think he should have been dropped. Yes had a poor game last week but has been our most consistant defender and it seemed odd to me. Bit harsh imo but in Lowe we trust......

Edit-too add dont think Wharton is anywhere near as good as Tomo

Edited by lucasoneil
  • Like 2

I do like Thompson however we’ve shipped a load of goals recently, he gets dropped then we keep a clean sheet?

Same backline again for me next game please. 

Anyone hear Lowey’s post-match interview on Radio Manchester? Alluded to a couple of players not following the team spirit, or something to that effect, wonder if Thompson was one of them? Apart from last week, he’s been solid for us in defence, despite little support from the other CHs earlier in the season, so was surprised to see him dropped. 

1 minute ago, Sittingonthefence said:

I do like Thompson however we’ve shipped a load of goals recently, he gets dropped then we keep a clean sheet?

Same backline again for me next game please. 

I would bring him in fir Wharton who almost cost us a couple first half.

Harsh maybe but surely Lowe was proved to have made the correct decision today - especially after getting a clean sheet after conceding three in each of the last three

That is not to say Thompson was to blame for everything in the last three games and, although he was certainly involved (not in a good way) for each goal at Carlisle, he has been our best and most consistent defender throughout the season. 

More importantly his rapport with some of the fans before kick off was good to see as was his involvement with the starting defenders in the pre match build up and his embrace with Lowey at the end.

The lad was clearly distraught at the end of last weekend’s game but was nothing but professional today. 

Another class act in a class squad.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, skyblueshaker said:

Anyone hear Lowey’s post-match interview on Radio Manchester? Alluded to a couple of players not following the team spirit, or something to that effect, wonder if Thompson was one of them? Apart from last week, he’s been solid for us in defence, despite little support from the other CHs earlier in the season, so was surprised to see him dropped. 

agree with this, think something more could have gone on. We wouldnt drop Maynard or Mayor with one poor game

Posted (edited)

See Thompson has just advertised his house for rent? maybe wants to go back down south! Dont think you do it via twitter without meaning some sort of statement

Edited by lucasoneil
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, lucasoneil said:

Great win today but no doubt get some stick for this post but dont think he should have been dropped. Yes had a poor game last week but has been our most consistant defender and it seemed odd to me. Bit harsh imo but in Lowe we trust......

Agree on both counts. Our best defender and didn't deserve to be dropped, especially with the knowledge that they are all playing under such duress. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

13 minutes ago, skyblueshaker said:

Was fist pumping and celebrating at the end. 

Perhaps understandable if he does look back on his time with us with mixed emotions. Scaped goat out after just arriving, then not being paid. 

• Love 1

Wharton played well today, and Aimson and Stokes were both very solid after the first 10 mins.

Same defence at Newport for me Clive. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, giggabyte said:

Soz if I've missed it but anyone know why O'Connell missing? 

Think he picked up a knock at Carlisle.  

• Thanks 1

Thompson has been in my opinion one of the players of the season. I thought he would be dropped after Lowe’s interview after the Carlisle game. On paper he is our best defender, lack of finances effect people in different ways and we have to trust Lowe in his decision (To rest 😉 Thompson). 

• Like 8

On 13/04/2019 at 21:04, giggabyte said:

Soz if I've missed it but anyone know why O'Connell missing? 

I don't care why but it gave me a little boost knowing he was missing haha!

Lowe stated after the match on Saturday that he only wanted players who were in the right frame of mind 

I don’t know if he was referring to Thompson or O’Connell, or both or neither.

Think Thompson is getting some generous appraisals here. He has defended well for much of the season but there are too many clangers and a general lack of leadership and organisation from him. Best of a bad defensive lot. Par at best for the season. Won't be missed. Better out there. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

37 minutes ago, St1 said:

Think Thompson is getting some generous appraisals here. He has defended well for much of the season but there are too many clangers and a general lack of leadership and organisation from him. Best of a bad defensive lot. Par at best for the season. Won't be missed. Better out there. 

I agree, there are probably is better out there, but hes been pretty good all season, especially when at times the midfield have been ran through and the wingbacks are nowhere to be seen defensively.  Playing in a different, less attacking team, he would be more solid (this actually applies to all of the centre halves i think).   There are definitely better out there, if we are still around they and Thompson will be signing for other clubs who can afford them.

1 hour ago, St1 said:

Very harsh in my opinion. All our defence are being asked to do much more with the ball than most defenders.  This and the way we play will always make them look less solid than others. For example Peter Clarke is a really solid defender but would find it difficult to adapt to the way we play.

I am aware that on occasions we have made some poor mistakes but who hasn't.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, St1 said:

Even were that true, do you think Bury are going to be in any position to sign players better than who's in the current squad next season? 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
  • Love 1

56 minutes ago, Spee said:

Even were that true, do you think Bury are going to be in any position to sign players better than who's in the current squad next season? 

Do you think we won't find better players than Thompson, Beckford, Dawson ?

Between that lot I'm looking at at least 15k per week, for an absolute fraction of that I'm sure that when all considered we can find better value, so yes that's is possible.

Obviously were not privy to what's going on to make definitives, but possible - yes. 

2 hours ago, Spee said:

Yes - without doubt. Loans, released players and even non league players. Many examples of good players who would jump at the chance. Aside from Mayor, Maynard and O'Shea I wouldn't regard any of the current squad as irreplaceable. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, St1 said:

Yes - without doubt. Loans, released players and even non league players. Many examples of good players who would jump at the chance. Aside from Mayor, Maynard and O'Shea I wouldn't regard any of the current squad as irreplaceable. 

Even if they're not paid?

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, alanlondon said:

Even if they're not paid?

Of course - resilient breed of people are lower league footballers, used to late payment of wages. It happens. Will be long forgotten by the summer. Contracts and associated PFA provisions are very very effective. May be late but they always get their money.