Cinema / Film thread
3 3

230 posts in this topic

Did see "Molly's Game" on a long haul flight out of the UK this month and it was rubbish.

Did see "Death of Stalin" on a long haul flight into the UK this month and it was just ok.

Has anyone watched the TV version of "Picnic at Hanging Rock" and does it compare favourably with the Big Screen version? I saw the film when it was first released and thought it was superb, this despite US film critics pelting the screen at the US premiere and ostentatiously walking out as it was a "Mystery" Film where the Mystery isn't resolved at the end. What I remember most is the film score, though, with George Zamfir's haunting Pan Pipe music.

Couldn't resist posting the link below. Truly "other worldly" music especially at around 3.40 min into the track.

Edited by RNaj1

On 09/04/2018 at 18:51, exiile said:

Was very well entertained by the latest Spielberg film "Ready Player One" recently. Mostly CGI as it places the actors into a computer programme "Oasis" which had become a wild fix for most of the planet as they hunted down clues to become the owner of the gamespace. The depth and wonder of the gamespace was really well done and allowed for some truly over the top stunts/explosions/improbable escapes etc. Hokum but as well done as I have seen it.

Spielberg understands cinema and entertainment better than any other living director and invests humanity in his characters - even when they are less than savoury and his leads are also touchingly real as young people. The edge of the seat stuff is a signature of one brought up on the Saturday Morning Matinee shorts.

However, the really big draw for this film is the fact that the Oasis is firmly set in the 80's and is packed with references to video games of the era, music, fashion etc. I lost count of the number of pop cult references and even the hints and clues to the puzzles were dependent on a deep knowledge of 80's culture. I found myself shouting at the screen on more than one occasion as the stupid characters didn't see the references!

Recommended fun for all!

The book is miles better though!

On ‎5‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 09:31, DR_PAUL said:

Did see "Molly's Game" on a long haul flight out of the UK this month and it was rubbish.

Did see "Death of Stalin" on a long haul flight into the UK this month and it was just ok.

Agree with Molly's game but quite enjoyed Death of Stalin. Would take Steppes to watch it again.